Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Rave review, Hardcore heaven, 04/10/2003

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2003, 11:34 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After Hardcore Heaven's successful return to the scene in Febuary, this year, it was difficult to see, short of ramming out Wembley arena, how the organisers could better an event that was already close to the top. However, Slammin Vinyl upped the ante by announcing news of the HArdcore Heaven awards, IIRC the first industry awards since 1997. After an initial voting process to compile shortlists, every hardcore raver was invited to vote for a variety of awards ranging from Best DJ to Best Website from the shortlist which was printed on the flyer. Every DJ and MC who was shortlisted was meant to be playing on the night. On that basis alone I was going to be there. The shortlist of DJs was unusual to say the least. Amongst the headliners was the inclusion of Marc Smith and Luna-C, IMO underrated DJs who dont get booked enough. What more could I want? Well, one of my mates playing in the up and coming arena certainaly helped.
If the event was called Hardcore Heaven, it must be followed that hell be experienced beforehand. This was handily supplied by Silverlink trains who decided, in their infinite wisdom, to stop all trains going to Bletchley after 8pm. Seeing as I arrived at Euston at 8.15, this presented a problem. I had to get to the Sanctuary by 11pm as Hattrixx was playing in the new talent room from 11-12. The first bus service left Euston way too late so the revised plan involved getting the express to Hemel Hempstead, catching the replacement bus to Bletchley, a ten minute run to the venue and a few prayers along the lines of "Sort us out you b*****d, I do NOT want to miss this"
We got to the venue at 11.01
No queues presented themselves and interestingly enough, no search either. As we went through the security said something about random searches inside, but I didnt care> Neither did I care that two of my favourite DJs were playing when I arrived. I made my way quickly into the venue, well, as quickly as I could. The pitch black draping and stobes were a good idea, but I couldnt take more than a few steps before I lost my bearings. Maybe striplights in the direction you're heading would work better.
The rest of the arena had no such problems. Once again, Hardcore Heaven had surpassed itself with production of the highest quality. Huge lighting rigs were suspended from the ceiling, along with lots of UV cubes with glitter ***** inside them. Up at the stage end of the arena, it was just as good. The mainstage was flanked by monstrous stacks, on top of each was a multicoloured laser. Four projection screens dominated the area behind the stage which were showing the usual trippy visuals, shots of the crowd and my personal favourite, two spaceships racing each other through a cityscape. All in all, it was a real visual treat, I just didnt have time to appreciate it. As I went through, Brisk and Wottsee were kicking it up in the main arena, Sharkey was due to do the same upstairs in the sweatbox, but I was due in the foyer, and so was Hattrixx.
Having heard one or two of Hattrixx's sets before, I knew what to expect. Oldskool Hardcore Breakbeat, mixed into fresh tunes from his own label, Nu Underground. Its exactly what Owen delivered as well. Tunes such as "In Effect", "Ravers Choice 2" and "Above the Clouds" made for the perfect start to the evening as a small but educated crowd got down to the future sounds of the hardcore scene. Next to the DJ booth, as well as slips of paper and a pen, was a ballot box in which you could vote for your favourite up and coming DJ of the night. In went a slip with a great big HATTRIXX on it. Saw plenty other go in as well.
After Owen's set was a part of the evening which held a special interest for me. I had been reliably informed that the award for Best Website would be announced at midnight. After Owen's set I fought my way to the front and and even manage to bump into Davespice! Soon after, the tunes were taken down and Storm took sentre stage to announce the winner. The tension in the arena was palpable, as was the ear splitting roar from the crowd when USH.NET was namechecked.
However, it was all given away when me and Dave saw Paul USH slowly climbing the stage stairs. Dave and I hugged each other and started chanting "USH! USH! USH!" before Storm delivered the good news that confirmed it. The report from the ravers was so loud I thought the roof was going to come off the venue. The place was going mental. Everybody was screaming the place down as Paul accepted the award, then took the mic and thanked everyone who voted for the site. On sheer atmosphere alone, this was the best part of the night. Everyone piled out of the arena straight afterward to attend the meetup and congratulate Paul.
After the meetup and just about the biggest photo I've been a part of, I remembered I was missing Kev Energy's set. I shot back into the main arena and saw the best sight of the night. Kev was giving the ravers a PROPER workout with doublehard tunes which had the whole damn arena literally bouncing up and down. I stayed at the back of the room for a while as I'd never seen so much movement from the crowd which was clearly loving what Energy was providing. As I wandered to the front of the room, Kev dropped a remix of "Ready or not, here I come" for his last tune and the crowd went wild all over again.
Next up was the allstar set of Sy and Storm. With Sy confirmed as the winner of the "Outstanding contribution to hardcore" award (and rightly so) and Storm already awarded the Best MC (Equally well deserved), these two did what they always do, took the party people by the scruff of the neck and not let go till their set was up. Sy played a mixture of Quosh and tunes from other labels, but despite playing tunes like "On the wings of Love" and that "discovery channel" tune, It was his stage performance with Storm and his superb scratching which made the set stand out from the rest.
Breeze was next up after Sy, but I was spent. I had run out of energy and my next appointment was with a plate of chips so I could keep going for the rest of the night. Breeze had other ideas though. His first tune was the awesome "Angel", my absolute favourite RBC tune. Suddenly I werent that knackered anymore . Breezey convinced me to stay that little bit longer with his first tune and the equally good "I'm coming home". Eventually, Matt Wildcard dragged me off the dancefloor to recharge my batteries.
Once I was full of food again, I made my way back into the venue. I knew exactly where to go this time, up to the sweatbox for another awesome performance from Luna-C. As I entered the second room, I saw that it had been impressively kitted out with draping covering the ceiling and minimalist but effective lighting to back it up. Luna had already started when I arrived so I got on with enjoying his set. As always, Luna played a set consisting of numerous styles. Just when you think he's settled down he hits you with another genre hop. Luna's diverse tate was reflected in his tune selection. From classics such as "Take me away" to the remix of "champion sound" with a dirty great kickdrum over it! Kazzer also told me that he spun "twist em out" but I'll have to take his word for it As soon as he dropped "Journey" he instantly got set of the night IMO. I was having the time of my life all the way through it and neither knew nor cared that he'd played nearer an hour and a half. Best set of the night. Definately.
The only downside of the extra portion of Luna-C erm, lunacy, was that by the time he'd finished, I'd missed Marc Smith! Gutted!. I was even more upset when I heard that he dropped CLSM's "Liberation", my #1 tune of the moment. Double gutted!!!
To make up for it, Seduction came on and pulled another blinder. Another set which I really enjoyed, Sedders was joined by Whizzkid on the mic. Got to big up whizzkid at this point. Even though Storm was the deserved award winner, Whizzkid was 100% on it during Seduction's set, complimenting the tune selection nicely and keeping the ravers hyped all the way through the set. Sedders did his part too, playing tunes such as "Back and Fourth" and the wicked remix of Opus III "Its a fine day"
Last set of the night was down to Dougal and Smiley. I was proper upset that I'd missed Dougal's old skool set last week so I was well up for him finishing the event off. Unfortunatly I was enjoying it so much that I can only remember his last tune, Heartbeatz. Nevertheless, it was the perfect end to the perfect night.
Things I liked:
Unusual, well thought out and varied lineup. Best I've seen for quite a while. More please
The up and coming arena, Good to see new talent being supported.
All of the SV crew turning up in DJs! Well it was an awards ceremony!
USH winning the best website award. The best moment I've ever experienced at a rave, bar none.
Things I werent sure if I liked or not:
No set times. Okay it was annoying, but the excitement of not knowing whos playing next added to the event IMO. Still annoying though.
Things I liked less:
Although I didnt see it myself, reports of my friends being literally assaulted by sanctuary security were unpleasent. Especially when they had done nothing wrong.
No Vinnie on stage!!! However, at least the girlies who were on there were proper stompers rather than "I'm too sexy to stomp" **** wigglers. Especially that laydee in red trousers who was dancing during Dougal's set...
Erm, Pauls award was a bit on the heavy side.

Now I know at this point I usually say how good the rave was, but this event was different. The whole night seemed to generate an especially charged atmosphere which lasted all night long. The whole event was brilliant. An awesome lineup, dazzling production, cracking atmosphere and awards, which, despite some who voiced doubts about their impartiality, turned out to be 100% legitimate.
This was the best rave I've ever attended. Not only that, it was also one of the bests nights I've ever experienced and thats including the night when I discovered what masturbation was all about.
astraboy.
Shouts to: Davespice, Kazza, Carlo, Kev Voltage, Paul USH, Hattrixx, The bad boy Doc-E, Andy M, Hyper Baby E, Compulsion, Fish Geffo, Koochy, Scorcerer, Nuclearaver, Brad 35343648226584923756893936459376, Immz, Raz power, Sykee, Marshy, Nikki Enigma, Smithers, Sweetstar, HB, Ponder, Caine, DJ Emotion, Mozz, Moron, Kev Energy, Vinnie, Sharkey, Chris, Whizzkid, Wottsee, Brisk, Storm, Spenno, Scott Devotion, Deddley, MC Kans, Emsties, Kickin_k, Stompin Daz, CDJay, Dave Skywalker, Matsui, Corolis, Icklemiss, Scottie, Dreamscape Gill, Owbow. Right I'm gonna be here all night, if I saw you, hello!!!
Old 08 October 2003, 11:38 PM
Ridge Racer
Scooby Regular

wow , have i missed the mtv segment ??
Old 09 October 2003, 12:03 AM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Astraboy, do you take a pen and notepad to these raves??

or is this all from the memory, the morning after?
Old 09 October 2003, 09:09 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Cool

Pretty much. It helps that I'm natural when I go to these things though. The one thing that lets me down is remembering the tunes, but I'm getting better at it.
astraboy.
Old 09 October 2003, 02:25 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Obligatory spannered astraboy picture...
http://www.ush.net/gallery/index2.ht...e=dscf0014.jpg
astraboy.
Old 09 October 2003, 03:53 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

..lay us some tarmac when ya done mate
Old 09 October 2003, 03:56 PM
Scooby_Loo
Scooby Regular

Talking

LMAO@ Richard!
Old 09 October 2003, 04:38 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

LOL, looks like a building contractors convention ! The bloke on the right in the pic looks like he may have had one 'disco biscuit' too many !

Old 21 October 2003, 12:58 PM
owbow
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

jeez you got a good memory... one can tell you've never done a gurner... i can't even remember my name most weekends!!!

t'was a good night apart from the paranoia and being unable to dance...

stonking report mate, you should be writing for mixmag or something, i'm telling you.

o.
Old 21 October 2003, 01:02 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

astraboy - if youre a true raver then I doubt you'd even remember your own name after a good night