Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

SAS The Real Story

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2003, 12:56 PM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Again I agree with what you say, dai. However, I think the majority of problems are due to the difference of lifestyle, attitude and mentality that comes with military life, compared to that of the civillian life. What a squaddie perceives to be 'run of the mill', may seem unacceptable to the civvy. Anyway, the Army on the whole, has changed and will continue to do so. Human rights have had a very large impact and very soon, there will be no difference between Army and Civillian way of life. (How the Army will function then, I do not know) Hence my termination of colour service!
I have worked with Fijians too and never saw people change to such a degree than after a beverage or two! Quiet as a lamb until lager, at which point mad and as lairy as a ****house rat!(the guys I was with, anyway)

[Edited by Taff107 - 10/9/2003 1:23:41 PM]
Old 06 October 2003, 09:56 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Talking

I didn't know you had a book named after you.

UB
Old 06 October 2003, 10:22 PM
Luke
BANNED

"The SAS are the ultimate military unit"
----------------------------------------------------

Good old British sentimentality.......
Old 06 October 2003, 10:30 PM
andym172
Scooby Regular

Even better if somebody has a Tivo unit and can upload the programmes on to the net!

Anybody?

A uni mate of mine is from Herefordshire and had quite a few tales to tell - some, I'm sure, shouldn't be public knowledge!
Old 06 October 2003, 10:35 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

The SAS are the ultimate military unit
Without a doubt!!
Old 07 October 2003, 07:42 AM
Luke
BANNED

They might be good...but been supplied by "Argos" cant be much fun!!
Old 07 October 2003, 08:18 AM
TVR Gary
Scooby Regular

Very good programme ......I think they will go back underground again to get away from the public and media eye.
The only thing we would have heard of it then would have been ''Two men and a women murdered in Gib'' ..... and thats the way it should be IMHO.
Old 07 October 2003, 08:58 AM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

I'd have to agree with that. The additional publicity over the last decade or two (especially after Gulf War 1) can't have done them any favours.
Old 07 October 2003, 09:40 AM
andym172
Scooby Regular

Very good programme ......I think they will go back underground again to get away from the public and media eye.
The only thing we would have heard of it then would have been ''Two men and a women murdered in Gib'' ..... and thats the way it should be IMHO.
Do you not think that they will have already done this? In other words, they are the SAS but by another name.

I think this was even suggested at last night.

To see those guys fighting the gun battle in Afghanistan was amazing! And then to see the carnage that they'd left...

Also, only two of them going out to sort out 'The West Side Boys' - you wouldn't have thought they'd of had a chance!
Next shot: scores of TWB tied up, sitting there not knowing what'd hit them!
Old 07 October 2003, 10:08 AM
andrew6321
Scooby Regular

Andy

I think the 'two' were sent out to Gambia following the coup in 1981. There were a lot more than that involved in Sierra Leone...
Old 07 October 2003, 10:47 AM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Ditto - I managed to miss the entire series! A downloadable TIVO copy would be handy. ...anyone?
Old 07 October 2003, 11:55 AM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

"Thing is it wouldn't have happened if the bloody CIA bloke hadn't threatened to murder one of the prisoners in full view of everyone by holding a pistol to his temple."

Bravo, do you think that was the reason that the Taliban prisoners revolted? They used to live with executions as a regular occurrence.
IMHO, I only saw two episodes of that series - the one last night and I think it was the one last week (Interrogation / Escape and evasion) and it seemed to be more television dramatism than anything else. For example on last weeks, they return to their RV to await extraction and they sit about eating etc. Even a 6 week recruit in the Green Army wouldn't do that.
Old 07 October 2003, 12:48 PM
nigelward
Scooby Regular

Taff

That was the BBC2 series on a Sunday night, which for the BBC was very poor compared to the C4 series.

Nigel
Old 07 October 2003, 05:37 PM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

Oops,....sorry Bravo! You're right. The crap one has that bloke Eddie Stone in it. I know a couple of chaps who have served and are serving now and I would believe them before any of the cack that goes into these telly shows / supposed factual accounts such as Bravo two zero / The one that got away etc.
I think that there is also an element of hype surrounding the SAS too. OK, before I get slated, let me state that they are without doubt, very highly discplined,trained, adaptable and skilled soldiers. However, I believe that the combination of their training, weaponry and their virtually unlimited budget to fund all of the above is bound to produce results when it comes down to it.
Old 07 October 2003, 05:41 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

The SAS are the ultimate military unit
I think the Special Boat Squadron might have something to say about that......although they won't actually say anything as they just go about their jobs and don't carry equity cards
Old 07 October 2003, 05:49 PM
Hobo_Jojo
Scooby Regular

fookin squaddies...
Old 08 October 2003, 11:44 AM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

fookin scousers...
Old 08 October 2003, 12:03 PM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I don't think the SBS are a squadron - Special Boat Service I believe.
Old 08 October 2003, 12:18 PM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

Rob, you are correct.

Daz, so are you.

B2Z, we need to talk...

SB
Old 08 October 2003, 12:33 PM
daiscooby
BANNED

IMHO they usually only put the sh1te on the tele, it's just eye candy and boom bang for the masses.
As for the true story ever being told, not by any trooper with pride in the regiment it wont, serving or not.
As for the Gib take down, nothing that wasn't done elsewhere without any fuss or malarkey. Nobody says a word when the same is done in a field in County Armagh, or a house in Whiterock. A Vol is a Vol, armed or not. They wouldn't hesitate to shot an unarmed soldier in civvies in a bar in Belfast, or even blow there car up in Germany. That's not a criticism, it was the nature of the conflict, and we all understood the rules of engagement.
The fire fight in Afgahnistan was just how most soldiers are trained to fight. You don't fire your weapon to shoot a gun out for some ones hand or wound them. The only objective in firing your weapon at someone is to kill them, nothing else matters.
When placed in a situation where your life is under threat, you are trained to bring as much force to bear thats is required to do the job, simple.
As for the SAS being the ultimate fighting unit. Well the only people who get through selection are the ones with the overwhelming desire to be the best soldier, in the best regiment, in the best professional army in the world. The SBS are the same level of professionalism, but there training differs from the SAS because they are from a different service, the Navy, and therefor trained to operate in different scenarios.
Old 08 October 2003, 12:37 PM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

Dai, spoken like the pro I always knew you were

SB

Quick Reply: SAS The Real Story