Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Clamp Down on Boy Racers in Notts.......

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2003, 10:18 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
medders,

No I think because I don't see any improvement in the vandalism and petty theft rates in my area it's not happening - simple enough for you?

tiggers.

[Edited by tiggers - 10/7/2003 10:19:14 AM]
Old 10 July 2003, 11:15 AM
PhilsGT4
Scooby Regular

I've already put this in the other thread about Sunday but just for good measure.....

The problem with the police's attitude is that they are reacting due to public pressure. This means that innocent people are being cautioned for doing nothing. For example three weeks ago I was driving into Torquay and stopped for a 5 minute chat with a frien I had not seen for a few weeks. We parked in a car park and after a few minutes a Police Transit van screams into the car park and blocks the entrance. Two officers wander over to a group and strat talking to them. We assumed that they had been seen driving dangerously or what ever and that they had eventually caught up with them. Anyway the officers then wander round the car park and tell me and my friend that they are going to be keepiung a very close eye on this car park due to the rising number of complaints they have been receiving from members of the public. They told us not to worry as they realised that we were not causing any trouble and they seemed fair enough.

This friday just gone I return home from work to find a letter from Devon & Cornwall Constabulary informing that I was being cautioned and that under the Police Reform Act 2002 (think thats right)as complaints had been made on the said night that I had been playing loud music, performing hand brake turns and screeching of tyres. If I was seen to be in a car park where this was happening again my car would be confiscated. I rang the Police immediately and they're attitude is that I've been cautioned end of story - live with it. I tried to reason that I had not done any of the above and that I could not be held responsible for other peoples actions but they weren't interested.

So if I'm ina car park and someone wheelspins their car I could lose my car.

I'm now taking it up with my solicitor and the Chief Inspector.

[Edited by PhilsGT4 - 10/7/2003 11:33:05 AM]
Old 10 July 2003, 12:45 PM
DRUNKNORGY
Scooby Regular

Medders ,My point exactly, You don't see it so its not there, People don't bother to report 10% of what goes on now because of apathy from the police. Cars get vandalised in my road on a weekly basis and people don't even bother to report when a £200 mirror gets kicked off anymore because of the response in the past.
We do have a drug problem here, we do have streets which aren't safe to walk (not just perceived). The focus of the police attention is in the wrong place, and if this is the general concensus from the public, the police should be seen to be acting.

As I see it nowadays, the police are demanding degrees to get in if you want a glimmer of a chance of promotion.
Kids who go to Uni, don't want to pound the beat, they'd rather play Z-cars and drive round in riced up pursuit vehicles than be seen to be on patrol.
It may sound like a trip down memory lane, but foot patrols did make the policemen people to look up to.

[Edited by DRUNKNORGY - 10/7/2003 1:12:13 PM]
Old 10 July 2003, 05:44 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

http://www.cruisenotts.com/notts-neo.html

[Edited by salsa-king - 10/7/2003 5:46:26 PM]
Old 10 July 2003, 08:49 PM
Big_Dog666
Scooby Regular

Location: outside your bedroom window watching you as you sleep!
This is a good bit of policing in my opinion. It's about time these little tw*ts were off the streets. It's because of them that we have all the bloody speed cameras and speed humps all over the place. Infact, it's because of them that 'legitimate' drivers get pulled and bollocked about doing f*ck all like me and my Mrs.

The one who got her car confiscated..... Evo Lucy wasn't it? At 28 years old, she should have known better ffs, she'd obviously been warned before and she goes and breaks the law again right in front of the police. Very clever! She needs to f*cking GROW UP!

Then again SK I can see where you are coming from. I mean, who will you sell your coloured kitchen lights to if they all get their cars confiscated?

[Edited by Big_Dog666 - 10/7/2003 8:50:36 PM]
Old 06 October 2003, 02:44 PM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!
Did you cop for owt with your neons Salsa King?! Evo Seized!!!
Old 06 October 2003, 02:48 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Excellent use of Police resources

How come they say they don't have enough Police to deal with routine crime, but then endless coppers come out of the woodwork at the drop of a hat to deal with incidents like this that they cause themselves.

UB
Old 06 October 2003, 02:53 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Because its an easy target as usual UB, loads of 'law breakers' in the one spot so an excellent waste of police time (in their opinion). Look how many fines etc they handed out.

I for one will sleep safer tonight knowing the national fog light problem is being tackled.
Old 06 October 2003, 03:00 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

If the car was seized under the Police Reform Act 2002, the owner will have already been given a warning before hand on another occasion which is valid for a year IIRC.
Old 06 October 2003, 03:04 PM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!
OK, flame proof jacket on here BUT....... It actually made me smile when I read this. It's about time IMHO. Sorry to anyone who goes out to play round there but it is slightly pathetic!!
Old 06 October 2003, 03:06 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

It's about time IMHO
I am with you on that!

There is an area around where I live that used to be notorious for it all! And a recent clamp down has seen the numbers drop off quite a lot!

There was actually a big article on the news about my local area a while back, even a thread on here too!

If I want to drive fast or do anything like that I save it for the track or the skid pan where it is a safer more controlled environment.
Old 06 October 2003, 03:08 PM
medders
Scooby Regular

....and how do you lot know she wasn't driving like a complete idiot ?

Far too quick to criticize some people on here. If one of your own gets injured by bad driving though, you'll be quick enough to comment. But of course then it'll be "the police did nothing"
Old 06 October 2003, 03:10 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Cool

Come Blackscoobywrx..own up was you there ? who got there motor impounded ?

edited cos i didn't read the link 1st....doh.

[Edited by Dazza01 - 10/6/2003 3:18:57 PM]
Old 06 October 2003, 03:30 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

bunch of tools...impound the lot of them and their stupid neon lights!
Old 06 October 2003, 03:32 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Part of the Police Reform Act 2002 relates to driving or riding a vehicle to the annoyance or distress of others.
OK then, so lets say I report someone because they repeatedly annoy me by driving at 40 in a 60, what's the odds on them having their car crushed? I'm being 100% serious here btw.

IMO, it's an under thought out, highly biased, unnecessary bag of sh*te[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 06 October 2003, 03:35 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I can't help thinking that if it was a Nova that had been seized, the glee of SN members would have been immeasurable.

How many threads have we seen on here about people using fog lamps? Well the police ARE doing something about it.

Small number plate (I have one): if you get caught, tough, pay the fine, fix your plate and get on with life.

Drive like a **** and face the consequences, they wouldn't have just seized an Evo for the hell of it.

However, to add a little balance, this law is very dangerous and is open to misuse and should be tightened up, it wouldn't take much for it to be abused by an officer with a grudge.
Old 06 October 2003, 03:37 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

Question

i know a lot of people with the boy racer thing going off, oh and they dont have tax disks. Neither do the BMWs and mercs round the area they live. They live over by Armthorpe tip, on a field in these caravan things.

wonder if the police will tell them?
Old 06 October 2003, 03:46 PM
damian666
Scooby Regular

Arrow

IanW - I must be blind! I never see people on the A217(?) toward Epsom - I do that route every day. Only once did I see a 'crew' or peds, but they were off to Box Hill.

Where is all the Sutton 'fun' ?

Damo
Old 06 October 2003, 03:53 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Try Friday night round the one way system .......

Old 06 October 2003, 04:14 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

And in the meanwhilst, women are being shot whilst working in a jewellers 5 miles away in broad daylight on a busy high street [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Nottingham Reckon I'll sell up and skate to the beach (Probably look better getting there too!)

Mikey
Old 06 October 2003, 06:36 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

IanW - I must be blind! I never see people on the A217(?) toward Epsom - I do that route every day. Only once did I see a 'crew' or peds, but they were off to Box Hill.
Had you driven down there of a Thrsday or Friday evening then you would have seen them. I will now on the way home from work on a Thursday or Friday go via Banstead to avoid the one way system.
Old 06 October 2003, 06:46 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

Bob,

See below an extract from the Police Reform Act 2002:-

Section: 59 Act: Police Reform Act 2002
Subject: Vehicles used in manner causing alarm, distress or annoyance

(a) contravenes section 3 or 34 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 (c. 52) (careless and inconsiderate driving and prohibition of off-road driving), and

( is causing, or is likely to cause, alarm, distress or annoyance to members of the public,

he shall have the powers set out in subsection (3).

(2) A constable in uniform shall also have the powers set out in subsection (3) where he has reasonable grounds for believing that a motor vehicle has been used on any occasion in a manner falling within subsection (1).

(3) Those powers are-

(a) power, if the motor vehicle is moving, to order the person driving it to stop the vehicle;

(b) power to seize and remove the motor vehicle;

(c) power, for the purposes of exercising a power falling within paragraph (a) or (b), to enter any premises on which he has reasonable grounds for believing the motor vehicle to be;

(d) power to use reasonable force, if necessary, in the exercise of any power conferred by any of paragraphs to (a) to (c).

(4) A constable shall not seize a motor vehicle in the exercise of the powers conferred on him by this section unless-

(a) he has warned the person appearing to him to be the person whose use falls within subsection (1) that he will seize it, if that use continues or is repeated; and

(b) it appears to him that the use has continued or been repeated after the the warning.

(5) Subsection (4) does not require a warning to be given by a constable on any occasion on which he would otherwise have the power to seize a motor vehicle under this section if-

(a) the circumstances make it impracticable for him to give the warning;

(b) the constable has already on that occasion given a warning under that subsection in respect of any use of that motor vehicle or of another motor vehicle by that person or any other person;

(c) the constable has reasonable grounds for believing that such a warning has been given on that occasion otherwise than by him; or

(d) the constable has reasonable grounds for believing that the person whose use of that motor vehicle on that occasion would justify the seizure is a person to whom a warning under that subsection has been given (whether or not by that constable or in respect the same vehicle or the same or a similar use) on a previous occasion in the previous twelve months.

(6) A person who fails to comply with an order under subsection (3)(a) is guilty of an offence and shall be liable, on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.

(7) Subsection (3)© does not authorise entry into a private dwelling house.

(8) The powers conferred on a constable by this section shall be exercisable only at a time when regulations under section 60 are in force.

(9) In this section-

"driving" has the same meaning as in the Road Traffic Act 1988 (c. 52);

"motor vehicle" means any mechanically propelled vehicle, whether or not it is intended or adapted for use on roads; and

"private dwelling house" does not include any garage or other structure occupied with the dwelling house, or any land appurtenant to the dwelling house.
Old 06 October 2003, 07:11 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

I did pop down the Broad Marsh last nite... police jam sarnies no ever corner!

so went home.

And like gridlock says.... it was only tuesday when a 62 year old woman is GUN DOWN'd in her own shop... and what do the police do.... send all the avaible Cop cars to pick up boy racers to show they are pressent in the Nottm area.

me thinks priorities are out the window at the mo in Nottm.

We've just had the 6:30 east Midalands/Nottm regional new on about it, saying they did a clamp down.. that was the main story.
then they follow it with the artical about ppl not thinking police are doing enough in the area to stop gun crime! lol

the Evo that got towed away.. was EvoLucy from Cruise Notts web site.... she was warned last week about 'something'.... thi swek they took her car off her!

Phil
Old 06 October 2003, 07:18 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

the artical in the Nottm Evening post.........

PUTTING BRAKE ON THE 'RACERS'

16:00 - 06 October 2003

Angry scenes broke out during the first night of Notts Police's crackdown on 'boy racers'.

Police now have the power to seize the cars of those driving irresponsibly - if the driver has already been warned.

Last night they enforced the power for the first time, impounding a Mitsubishi Evolution in Canal Street.

Within minutes, an angry crowd of 100 racers or car enthusiasts, some of whom had come from Derby and Sheffield, gathered and tried to block the route from the car to the tow-away truck.

Someone took the keys from the car and more police officers had to be called before the car was pulled on to the recovery vehicle and driven away.

The 28-year-old female owner of the car said: "I am furious. We were only driving around trying to find somebody to give him his brake discs. They said I was going over 30mph and I crossed three lanes. That is just not true.

"Now they're taking my car away and no one seems to care that I'm 15 miles from home and I don't know how to get back."

Other onlookers said they were outraged, especially by the scale of the police operation.

Simon Titterton, 28, an electrician from Beeston, said: "It's not as if we're drinking and getting into fights. This is our hobby and we cause less trouble than the drunks on Saturday nights.''

Sergeant Tim Trevor said that the hostility from the car enthusiasts was not unexpected.

"I expected there would be a problem with the first tow-away," he said. "But hopefully people will now realise that we do have this power and will change their behaviour accordingly."

A major part of the operation was to ensure that the drivers were not causing a danger to themselves or to other road users.

Forty cars were stopped and 16 fixed penalty notices were given for offences such as improper use of fog lights or number plates not complying with national standards.

Two people were arrested, one for possession of heroin and another for whom there was a warrant out.

Six were given warnings, meaning next time their car could be impounded, and six were given defect notices.

Another person was issued with a summons to produce his documents at a police station.

PC Tim King and PC Wayne Darrington, were in one of two unmarked police cars used with two panda cars and a motorbike.

During the three-hour operation they issued eight fines, mainly for incorrect number plates or for drivers using fog lights unnecessarily.

PC Darrington said: "It's not the modifying we have a problem with. If they want to spend their time and money on their cars then fine.

"What we do have a problem with is when they get silly and are a danger to other road users."

PC King said: "Even if all we do is issue 100 of these small fines, if it prevents one accident then it'll be worth it."

The operation used automatic number plate recognition and the Police Reform Act 2002, meaning cruisers will face having their car seized and ultimately crushed.

Chief Inspector John Busuttil, of Nottinghamshire Police roads policing department, said: "This operation is not aimed at the law-abiding citizen but to those persistent offenders who think nothing of breaking the law. There are some key areas we will be focusing on but ANPR technology is mobile, which means we will be able to locate to problem areas easily and discreetly."

Part of the Police Reform Act 2002 relates to driving or riding a vehicle to the annoyance or distress of others.

The first time the perpetrator is caught he or she is given a warning by the police. If the offender is caught committing a similar offence within a year, he or she will have their vehicle or bike seized. To reclaim their vehicle or bike they will have to pay a £105 seizure fee and £12 per day (up to a maximum of 21 days) in storage fees.

They then have three months to claim their vehicle or bike before it is disposed of.

Gary Mahon, who lives just off Canal Street and has concerns about residents' safety, said: "I welcome any action taken by the police that will tackle the problem. Cars speed along Canal Street and London Road, and twice I have been nearly knocked down trying to cross Canal Street.

"Some of the streets they race down are residential and the noise from turbo engines and large exhaust pipes can go on into the early hours.''

Action

Police have tried several ways to tackle the problem of boy racers, who also congregate in Mansfield and the Chilwell retail parks.

In June, 1999, car parks in Mansfield town centre were closed by the district council, who also installed a speed camera in the town centre. Police tried to gather information about the racers.

Three years later, a £6,000 scheme by Notts County Council altered Mansfield's road layout to stop the dangerous high speed races.

In Nottingham in April last year, police moved in when 50 vehicles were racing at Collin Street and Canal Street. A Post report a month earlier included interviews with participants, who said racers travelled from other counties for the unofficial meetings in the city centre because they received less hassle from police here than elsewhere. The 'meetings' could go on for four hours.

And in November last year, police launched a six-week clampdown in Castle Marina Retail Park.

Up to 300 youths had been using the area as a meeting place since May, causing sleepless nights for hotel guests and a loss of business for retailers.

Old 06 October 2003, 07:45 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
After reading the story, I personally think the behaviour of the max power brigade was not good, trying to block the tow truck

Just whats needed NOT

And for those that think it wasnt a good idea for the Police, at least they arrested a Heroin carrier, and someone who already had a warrant out for their arrest

At least two more people off the street for now

Good on them
Old 06 October 2003, 08:06 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

*At least two more people off the street for now*

no.. there back out now... after a good nights sleep and a hot meal

lol
Old 06 October 2003, 08:31 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

It's the minority that spoils it and these idiots not only need there car confiscating but also their licence.

I was nearly killed last year near Ocean nightclub in Nottingham by a Max'd up Cavalier chasing a Escort RS Turbo, the Cav swerved round a slow car into the bus/taxi stop area at about 70mph.

In another incident a workmates Audi TT was written off by a Corsa on Mansfields Ring Road or "Circuit" as it's known in Max Power. The Corsa driver admitted to police he was trying to beat his best time round the "Circuit" and lost control on the corner. My workmate was even punched by one of the Max Power mob for ringing the Police.

Lee
Old 06 October 2003, 08:48 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Canny beat a Police state

Just dont come whinging when it you lots turn, pillocks.
Old 06 October 2003, 09:29 PM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

Yup, i carnt wait until the next Scoobynet run out, we all meet at Tesco's car park/where ever and get our cars impounded before it even starts!

Nice.
Old 06 October 2003, 10:23 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

www.cruisenotts.com

Phil

Quick Reply: Clamp Down on Boy Racers in Notts.......