Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Towing my Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 01 October 2003, 11:21 AM
DRUNKNORGY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Went to Mallory yesterday for a Trackday and had the bikes in my Horsebox (to make life easier). Uneventful journey on the way up, but coming back past Coventry, I was surprised how impatient some of the drivers were, and how many would 'cut you up for having the ordacity to tow a trailer on the same stretch of road as them' . Some were desperate to get in front, and even though I was matching the rest of the traffic for speed, caused a few to take silly risks ( I was no slower than what was in front BTW) The worst offenders by far were the higher powered cars, but that said, I wasn't cut up by any scoobies yesterday.

A word of warning to any who want to do it, I take 3 times longer to stop with the trailer, and that safety margin in front of me could reduce the length of your car by a foot if you want to nip in there . If I had the Horse, in there it would be 4 or 5 times the normal distance.

Give towing vehicles a bit of respect or you risk a lesson in road manners which will dent more than the ego.
Old 01 October 2003, 11:28 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Isn't it your fault if you "reduce the back of some1s car by a foot" seeing as fault lies with the person driving into the back of someone.

Andy
Old 01 October 2003, 11:58 AM
DRUNKNORGY
Scooby Regular

I'm not asking for special priveliges on the road Andy, jut consideration that I am not able to stop as quickly with the trailer as my car weights doubled, That coupled with a free standing animal weighing 400KG in the box and you just need to be a bit more careful. If someone 'nips' into my braking space, and then stands on the brakes, there is more than a posibility that I won't be able to stop.
Old 01 October 2003, 12:09 PM
blair
Scooby Regular

All the more reason to keep a safe distance between you and the vehicle in front then.

Although I see this could require you to actually go backwards if everyone treats your stopping space as an ideal gap to nip into

Old 01 October 2003, 12:30 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Hehe just commenting - there's no excuse for muppets nipping in front. They do it to me enough on the motorway when i'm trying to leave a nice 10-car gap!!

Andy
Old 01 October 2003, 12:35 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I had the Horse, in there it would be 4 or 5 times the normal distance.
true of any speed , but i doubt if you would be keeping up with other traffic with a horse in the trailer !! , because you would be going slower , yes ??
Old 01 October 2003, 01:08 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

I know what your on about, when I was towing the rib, the amount of cars that were desperate to ge in front was unreal. I was doing 60 in a 60 limit, whats the problem??? traffic in front of me traffic behind and not causing any blocks. I can only assume that they think its big to do it.

Simon
Old 01 October 2003, 01:59 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

I always preferred to be the one overtaking with the horsebox on the back. The look of people's faces as you go flying past at 80 mph with a horse box hanging off the back of the car is priceless....
Old 01 October 2003, 02:02 PM
DRUNKNORGY
Scooby Regular

In the 30s, 40,s and 50s, I will level peg with the other traffic, but over uneven roads, will take it easier anyway for obvious reasons). I was cruising @ 60 with the bikes in the back which is the limit for towing anyway and any faster returns about 10mpg . I just felt there was a mentality of ' I'll teach him a lesson for getting in my way'.

On the flip side, I was lapping in the full circuit @ Mallory Park (with the Edwinas chichane) in 69 seconds on my 600 Ninja so a total contrast to my plodding Horsebox .
Old 01 October 2003, 02:53 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

look of people's faces as you go flying past at 80 mph with a horse box hanging off the back of the car is priceless....
i hope this was a jape !! if not then you are a moron !!
Old 01 October 2003, 02:59 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Yep, I was a moron, no horse in the back of course, but when you're young you do silly things like that, only 18 at the time I was doing this. Used to run the box back to the yard at speed, nice quiet back roads, but still fun when I would whip past the occasional car. Still like to chuckle to myself when I think of how bad I used to drive and how I got away with it, sigh, well thems were the days.
Old 01 October 2003, 03:08 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

fair enough , been there done that meself , cos i too was a moron !!