Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

buying a car but the owner wants to keep his private reg..

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2003, 07:58 PM
CC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

So whats the process involved?

Basically, the car has his personalised plate on it but he wants to retain it and he'll pay for the costs involved?

What does he or I need to do?

Old 23 September 2003, 08:08 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
this isnt a scoob in Dark Blue is it, and is it the non scooby related (the plate I mean)

Old 23 September 2003, 08:10 PM
Mickle
Scooby Regular

Best thing would be if both of you pop down a local DVLA centre, you can change the ownership and he can put the plate on retension at the same time.
Old 23 September 2003, 08:20 PM
CC
Scooby Regular

no not a scoob sonic, a vectra (zzzzzzzzzzzz) .

good suggestion mark but he's in germany at the mo', his gf is sorting it out for him....

i think it's a case of, as u said, putting it on retention, then i'll have to get the original plate put back on it.

but after 1000 text msgs between us tonight, he *thinks* the original plate is still on the logbook

yes it does seem dodgy but i know him fairly well and i'll do a hpi check b4 i hand over any readies anyway.
Old 23 September 2003, 08:23 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Ahh no probs then cc

Its just a mate of mine was about to buy/swap for a Dark Blue Scoob with a private plate that the guy wanted to keep, but he seemed rather pushy in trying to get a deal done, till my mate HPi'd it and it came back as a Cat C
!!

Old 23 September 2003, 08:27 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

He simply needs to put the private plate on retention but if you say the original registration is on the log book then it was never officially transferred and he's been driving illegally, without insurance too.

If this is the case then he's been lucky and your job is made easier.

You just get the plates changed and buy it.

Edited to say, what does it say on the tax disc?

[Edited by Spoon - 9/23/2003 8:29:59 PM]
Old 23 September 2003, 10:27 PM
CC
Scooby Regular

sonic, i've been there with the hpi 'suprises'...i still cant understand how anyone can buy a car without hpi'ing it. it's a must imo.

spoon, good point, i will check that tomorrow when i go to collect the car, i'll post on here how it went.

thx for the help .
Old 23 September 2003, 10:55 PM
scoobypreza
Scooby Regular

His girlfriend will need to go to the dvla and complete a cherished transfer form, she'll need the V5, current mot and sometimes the tax disc (seems to depend on their mood). They will then go on their computer and change the reg. The only thing is depending on what time of day, day of the week and how busy they are will determine when they do it. The last time i did was for the wifes car and i took it on a friday and got it back on the monday, but they couldn't tell til monday what reg the car was going to be. They usually put it back to the last one before the current plate was put on it, unless someone else has bought the plate in the meantime. They should then issue a new tax disc with the remainder of the months left on it, so it will run out the same month as the old one and the one with the old cherished plate will have to be sent back to the dvla. Hoping they are letting you have the remaining tax otherwise you'll have to pay for it yourself, if you do have to buy new tax the easiest and quickest way might be to ask them if they will get it for you or you might have to wait for a new V5 although you can usually get it with the slip.
Hope this helps, sorry it's long but I've been through this loads of times, pitfall of having a private plate on mine and the wifes car and us getting bored with the cars every twelve months, my plates been on 4 cars in as many years!
Don't quote me as i don't work for the dvla but this is what has happened to me.

Good luck!!!

Dave
Old 23 September 2003, 10:59 PM
scoobypreza
Scooby Regular

Forgot to mention, if he has a new car to put it on he should sort it out at the same time as this will save him paying twice, once to put on retention and again to re-reg another car. Whereas if they have a car to put it on the whole thing should only cost them once. Also you don't pay anything it's up to them and if they want to know how much it was about £80 and a bit back in May.
Just remember you don't pay a thing and if they're not happy just tell them you'll have the plate as well then!!

Dave
Old 24 September 2003, 09:44 PM
CC
Scooby Regular

changed his mind about selling, ah well, who wants a vecta anyway?
Old 24 September 2003, 10:36 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

cc - regarding hpi, i had one done on a 525ise a year or so ago, they said it wasn't listed on any system? i thought it was a ringer so i went to the local cop shop,they wouldn't give me any info but let me give it to them. I told them the reg no, chassis no, engine no, colour and they confirmed it was all the same car with no outstanding fines,etc.
I then bought the car knowing it was cosha, 2 months later when i p/xed it it was now on the system and showing as a write off :-(

bloody hpi
Old 24 September 2003, 10:45 PM
CC
Scooby Regular

robby that's bad news , i'm sure u have some sort of comeback on that though against hpi???? worth finding out!

i suppose someone could manage to sell a car that has only *just* been the subject of a claim and therefore would not appear on any hitlists...

hpi has saved me in the past from buying two writeoffs which the owners decided not to tell me about!

[Edited by CC - 9/24/2003 10:46:33 PM]
Old 24 September 2003, 11:10 PM
Big Col
Scooby Regular

I'm also sure robby has some comeback against HPI. It's been a while since I hpi'd a car (1999) but I'm sure there was some guarantee that if the car turned out to be stolen,write off,etc after being given the 'all clear' then HPI would give you compensation.