Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Company overnight allowances?

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2003, 07:10 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Work away a lot for my company at very, very short notice which really messes up family, home life especially as I never know how long Ill be away for. My company pays for my accomadation B&B and gives me an allowance of £19 for an evening meal. I also get £5 night for incidental expenses ie drinks etc. All expenses must be covered by a proper Credit Card receipt to be reclaimed.

If you stay away what are your companies policies regarding accomadation, meals, out of pocket expenses etc.

Chip.
Old 12 September 2003, 07:18 PM
4X4BOB
Scooby Regular

Back in 1999 I used to get the hotel and breakfast paid for (receipt needed) and would then get £25 allowance for an evening meal and £5 lunch allowance neither needing receipts.
Didnt think it was too bad a deal at the time

Bob
Old 12 September 2003, 07:56 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Accommodation - guideline is Travelodge, Premier Lodge, etc., for B&B will be fine. If it's a last minute booking and there are special circumstances (eg. you need to be in Edinburgh tonight and it's the middle of the Festival) then whatever you need to do for business reasons is OK. Company credit card provided.

Up to £5 on the hotel bill for drinks, newspapers, phone calls, etc., is OK.

Evening meal - guideline is £15. This can be claimed without a receipt. If I spend more than that (within reason) and produce a receipt, that is OK. By "within reason", I'm talking of up to about £23 with drinks.

If I'm in an area where I can stay at a mate's place rather than B&B, I can claim £25 for the evening with no receipts (covers the curry and beer!).

If I'm not away overnight but have had an early start (before 6.00am) due to travelling, £5 breakfast allowance, unreceipted.

No lunch allowance. The viewpoint seems to be that I'd need to have lunch even if I was working in one of our offices.

Apart from that, the policy seems to be "If you put something on expenses, have a receipt, aren't taking the p1$$, and can justify why you did it, you will be OK."

This could be the start of another thread, however when I have time before travelling, I try to find B&B local to where I will be working and avoid the big chains. Found some great places that way. Two that spring to mind are Sandhole Farm (used this place before moving to the area), and Cobbled Yard.

HTH

Doug

Old 12 September 2003, 08:22 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Accommodation (B&B) paid for, up to 90 I think though our cost centre can reduce that - so 65 while I'm away at the mo. Get 25 for an evening meal, mileage, and 5 a night for incidentals.
Old 12 September 2003, 08:53 PM
Nikko2
Scooby Regular

£5 incidentals is an IR limit any more than that and it becomes a taxable expense.

The amount is £10 incidentals if you are abroad.

Some companies have perdiem rates where thay give you in the region of £80 a night to sort your self out with food and shelter.

Old 12 September 2003, 09:01 PM
PaulT00
Scooby Regular

These days I'm working on assignment in Central London, so my employers are renting a self-contained studio flat for me. Travel (98 quid return on the train every week, plus whatever for travel around London) is covered, the cost of the accommodation is covered (about 1200 a month on a longterm discount) and since it's self catering, they're generally paying food expenses of about 30 - 40 quid a week, although theoretically evening meal is up to 20 quid a night. They don't generally pay for lunch though.

The best one, though, was in the days when I worked for the NHS - they paid full Inland Revenue mileage rates of (then) about 56 pence a mile, and an overnight out on site was an automatic 60 quid unreceipted. Those were the days... 370 mile round trip to Truro with a couple of overnights... especially since my other half's parents live in Penzance!
Old 12 September 2003, 09:03 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

Hi Chip
I regularly have to travel abroad,often at short notice.

If I have to fly anywhere,I am paid a £50 call out fee.
I will get a £15 per day meal allowance with fone calls,+Taxis/car hire/hotels etc,all covered by the company.

But,at least twice a month I drive to Belgium.
..I choose to use my own car, so get £200 per journey, car allowance.
(the alternative was a Co.VW Caddy and no allowance!!)
While I'm there I get the same £15 a day meal subsidy,but have to stay in the company owned appartment

I actually quite enjoy the travelling,but,you are absolutely correct mate...It totally screws up your home and social life

Try and negotiate a 20% pay increase...Which is exactly what I got for my inconveniences

Jon
Old 12 September 2003, 09:29 PM
Vinnie Mac
Scooby Regular

Work away all the time m8, we get to stay anywhere that charges less than £30 a night and £20 for meals etc. it has already managed to screw up one relationship, now putting pressure on the boss to get us working nearer to home
Old 12 September 2003, 10:27 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Chip

I was told by my MD who used to be the company accountant that the £5.00 incidentals didnt need a receipt. He may be wrong but i doubt it.

I usually get

Whatever rate Travelodge charge plus breakfast.
Petrol at 12p mile (i get a car allowance aswell though)
Evening meal (i usually look for a place with a bar so i can add an un-itemised bill for beer around £20 - £25)
£5.00 incidentals
Around £5.00 Lunch
Also when travelling i can claim breakfast and or late meal when on the road early/late

I have to produce receipts for everything except the £5.00 incidentals