Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Trouble getting to sleep???

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2003, 10:52 AM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RightO folks, just been having a bit of a glance about on this forum, as you do? and was intrigued to see a few threads/posts about insomnia(sp?)

now, i seem to be up and about until the early hours, getting about 5 hours sleep, and feel ok, however, just lately, i've been sleeping like the proverbial log, and cannot get my head off the pillow after about 8 hours sleep?

can this be attributed to stress, bad diet, or just my body being weird for a bit!!!

any ideas.

seems the more i sleep, the more sleep i want!!!

BB (or am i just getting lazy?)
Old 12 September 2003, 11:12 AM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

must be something to do with working for Thomson Financial then!!!

we might be able to sue.

BB
Old 12 September 2003, 11:13 AM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
BB - you are getting old mate!

PS I have a routine in the week of drinking 8 large vodkas when I get home and 6:00 pm.m and getting into my pit by midnight - alarm goes off at 0730 and I feel fine.

PPS The vodka thing doesn't help it's just an excuse.
Old 12 September 2003, 11:18 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I'm no expert but do have problems sleeping sometimes. Basically stress, exhaustion, anxiety, diet, drugs (inc. alcohol) etc can play a big part.

I used to have a very stressful job and it was quite noticeable that I found it very difficult to get to sleep, and then difficult to wake up in the week. The alarm would go off I would sometimes pre-emptively turn it off without even remembering it! Then on the weekend I would wake up at the same time and jump straight out of bed!

At that point I started to realise that my brain was protesting about something! When I left the job and de-stressed my life that particular problem has all but gone away.

The other type seems to be getting to sleep relatively normally then waking up an hour or 2 later and then being unable to sleep at all despite feeling tired. I havn't got to the bottom of this one yet, but it only happens once or twice a year for a week or so....

You need to look at the quality of the sleep you are getting rather than quantity. If your brain is subconsciously very active all night then you will wake up feeling like you have had no sleep, no matter how long you think you have slept for. Try to stick to a routine of going to bed at the same time and do anything you can to de-stress. Exercise is good for this as it will help reduce built up stress and produce a feeling of physical tiredness which will help you too sleep.

Also, try and reach mental closure on your day before going to bed. If you are lying there thinking about something that happened in the day or worrying about something that is happening the next day then your brain will chew over it all night. Try and focus on something positive that you are looking forward to etc.

thats my "home grown" theory on the matter from the perspective of an occasional insomniac.... hope it helps!
Old 12 September 2003, 11:48 AM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its nearly always anxiety with me, but thats just me. Things that really **** me up are job interviews, big events ie going on holiday next day , 1st dates etc