Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Plasma TVs are they worth that much extra?

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2003, 11:07 PM
GTI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I am going to be decorating my living room near enough straight away when I move house (along with all the other rooms - new build)

So I keep walking past the Bang and Olufson (think thats right) shop and keep falling in love with this 60" (i think) plasma tv.
Now I know you can get cheaper than B&O but is it worth the premium over standard tv's?
Are B&O just stunning to look at and no better than other brands (panasonic for example)?

Thanks
I think I may have to get it but I'm scared to ask how much as I can see vision of 8 grand and I know I really shouldn't!!!! lol

[Edited by GTI - 9/4/2003 11:09:17 PM]
Old 04 September 2003, 11:14 PM
Beer Good
Scooby Regular

Go in and watch a footy match, then see if you wanna spend 8 grand. The ones I've seen go pixellated (blocky) when asked to display rapid motion.

Could be wrong.........
Old 04 September 2003, 11:22 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

The B&O plasma is a Panasonic (iirc) but has B&O sounds shhhhh dont tell (and all the link facilities ect)
£8k ??? ..........you best not ask ++++

But at the end of the day it is cool as **** !!
Old 04 September 2003, 11:26 PM
GTI
Scooby Regular

So you saying more than £8k? what nearer 10? (hopes not) just the B&O look so cool and the image in the shop looked great!
Old 04 September 2003, 11:28 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

better to wait for the big LCD's right now, they're just starting to come onto the market.

Steve
Old 04 September 2003, 11:33 PM
GTI
Scooby Regular

Question

whats the difference between plasma and lcd?
Old 04 September 2003, 11:33 PM
Luke
BANNED

B&O its a s good as body odour as it gets..... sold to people who dont know better..

"Listen to my B&O.. best hifi in the world"........ yeh right!!!
Old 04 September 2003, 11:36 PM
GTI
Scooby Regular

I already got a B&O Hi-fi I know it aint the best but it looks great and thats why i got it simple as!
Just the Tv's are very expensive and if not B&O what?

Thanks
Old 04 September 2003, 11:41 PM
Luke
BANNED

I have always believed that a great tv must have a flat screen...

And whats all this stupid looking triangle stand thing!!!

Panasonic,sony or Loewe walk over B&O in the telly side of things.
Old 05 September 2003, 10:29 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

I would also recommend waiting a bit longer. Large scale LCDs are coming on stream over the next few months (already a few out). IMHO these blow the socks off plasma for image quality plus the practicalities.

Cheers

Ian
Old 05 September 2003, 11:55 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Plasma Tvs are great if you have limited space, don't mind a drop in picture quality and have a surplus of cash (or credit lines).

Otherwise "form over function" marketing at its worst. The Audi TT of the TV world . All IMHO of course.

Suresh
Old 05 September 2003, 12:08 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

B&O always get a bad rap from Audiophiles, usually punters with no WAF(wife acceptance factor) to overcome . I'm sure a bike engined caterham is faster than a scoob but its nowhere near as practical/acceptable, the same as great sound and **** looks don't fit in everyones home. I'm a believer in style and sound are equal factors , some folks have a different weighting, its really down to what you want and need, however no-one can truthfully say the B&O stuff is rubbish, its expensive but its not rubbish.

Cheers
Cammy
Old 05 September 2003, 12:31 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Not getting into a brand discussion here - there's only a couple of companies making plasma screen innards anyway...

I have doubts over the plasma screen technology - it can display only a limited colour set (65k IIRC) I doubt this will get better, as I believe it's an inherant limit on the technology. (There is, I believe a limit to the dot pitch as well, and it's not fantastic.)

I find the dithering (the way the screen appears to display more colours) artifacts in plasma screens affects what I'm watching too much.

As already stated, I'm waiting for the large scale LCD TFT things - I think these are a better screen technology, and will be capable of running at a higher resolution.

Having said all that, if you want a flat, and above all else THIN TV then plasma isn't a bad option.
Old 05 September 2003, 01:24 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

surley the main benifit is space? i have 36 inch wide screen but in a big room its out the way...cant see why i'd spend £000's more to have even more room?
Old 05 September 2003, 01:37 PM
CraigCH
Scooby Regular

Also Life expectancy is 2 to 5 years on the plasma's at the mo (but the manufacturers won't tell you that).
With HDTV around the corner LCD is going to be the way to go as they can already handle the resolution.
Craig.
Old 05 September 2003, 01:40 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Wink

If you bought the B&O Stereo because it looks good then call it what it is an "Ornament" not a HiFi! HiFi is short for Hi fidelity sound and having listerned to a 6K+ B&O system installed in a penthouse that is not what i would call it. But yes it looked pretty to some deaf people!
Old 05 September 2003, 04:14 PM
GTI
Scooby Regular

Sounds good enough to me I have Bose speakers aswell though.
So whats everyones think? No to B&O?
What about Pioneer?
Old 05 September 2003, 04:55 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

40" LCD TV's are already here, or with built in tuner
Old 05 September 2003, 05:41 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Adrian,
You cannot comment till you're out of flares and tanktops
Old 05 September 2003, 06:01 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

B&O Hi-Fi... no I don't think so.

you want to try a set of these babies out....

Hope you have deep pockets though

Andy
Old 05 September 2003, 06:03 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Another vote for LCD. Watch a decent DVD on both plasma and lcd (any decent shop will hook this up if the suspect you will be spending several £k's on a tv). The pod race in Episode One is especially good. If the difference isnt noticeable then you need new glasses and not a new tv

Simon.
Old 05 September 2003, 06:42 PM
uksti
Scooby Regular

I'm currently sat in front of a Pioneer plasma. I did the research and if I wanted a reasonably priced, high quality image with upgrade potential to swap out the processing board then it was ideal (especially if we ever get to high-definition broadcasting, enabled digital video interface interlinks from DVD players and blue-ray high capacity DVDs).

They don't have a "life" of 5 years - they do lose brightness over time which is estimated at around 10 years average use (5 hours per day).

LCD (and organic LCD - hurry up Motorola !) is an alternative emerging technology and I suspect will eclipse plasma in the next few years, however not just now if you want a seriously large screen.

I'm suspicious of B&O as they're lifestyle products where I suspect it may be a case of form over substance. As always if you've demoed the alternatives then it's your money. Personally I'd buy a screen that will do for a few years and can then be deployed to the bedroom when the next toy comes along.

Of course you could always buy a projector and a big screen - then you're into my next project.

Baz
Old 05 September 2003, 07:34 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Fuzz TBH I would not have a setup that looked like that in my home.
OK it may be expencive but it aint very pretty.
I would rather have something that looked great and sounded great than something that sounded truely amazing and looked ......like that.

Each to their own. Cammy, you hit the nail on the head mate !

BTW £12.5k GTI. plus a set of Lab 1s front a set of 8's for the rear and the sub to round it off...Wish I could
Old 06 September 2003, 08:50 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Beer Good - that picture effect on footie was probably cos of a digital sat/cable box and NOT a feature of plasma screens. These digital boxes look on 28" TV's but any bigger and you start to see the digital squares. They cant even handle a simple fade to black without going 'arghhhh' and pixellating up due to the compression necessary.

As for HDTV, dont hold your breath guys! The investment us producers would have to make in yet more new shooting and editing kit (again!) is absoultely phenomenal! No one is even talking about it...

This is also so linked to the currently nasty limited bandwidth pics from cable/Sky I mention above - you want to double that resolution and keep the same amount of channels? It's just not happening is it (see USA situation...!)

LCD display tech is the future and not Plasma - particularly if someone leaves it on in the boardroom over the weekend and the Aiwa logo from the DVD player is burned into the screen forever! Ouch!

D