Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

DONT BANK WITH HALIFAX PLC

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2003, 10:35 AM
Badger Stuffer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Close your accounts, move your mortgage, consolodate your loans and credit cards somewhere else and the write to them telling them why you have done this.

You will probably save more cash and get some cashback by moving your mortgage.

Jason.

[Edited by Badger Stuffer - 9/2/2003 10:36:48 AM]
Old 09 February 2003, 10:56 AM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

mr shades and badger stuffer, i have threatened to do all this but your right, it is a load of hassle.

boxst, nothing of great worth really, thats the point. im usually really good at getting the best quote but i let this one slip the net.

chris, yeah i do switch my mortgage every 2 years. i think your right about the convinience of insurance with the mortgage lender and i only just noticed they were ripping me off. i was too busy haggling with LV for my car insurance.

[Edited by Kippax - 9/2/2003 11:00:49 AM]
Old 02 September 2003, 10:27 AM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

tossers. the halifax quoted me £350 to renew my contents insurance. i was originally told it was so expensive because i moved to an expensive M postcode but this year i phoned to ask them why it was so much. the bloke asked me one question, 'are you in a neigbourhood watch area?' to which is said i dont know. he then said we can offer the same policy for £130

me and my missus have 3 current accounts with these w*nkers, 2 savings accounts, a mortgage, contents insurance, 2 credit cards, 2 personal loans and have been with them for years.

i wrote to complain that ripping me off £220 the previous year was bad enough, but they would have continued to so until i made a fuss about it. they dont want to know. you should hear some of the **** they have come out with.

how can i get revenge on these plebs?
Old 02 September 2003, 10:32 AM
MrShades
Scooby Regular

Errrrrrr...... take your 2 current accounts, 3 savings accounts, mortgage, credit cards and insurance, and move your business to an organisation that treats you better.

No point getting massively hung up on it - it'll take more time and stress to reap any sort of mild revenge, that they probably won't give two hoots about, so vote with your feet (which, by the sound of things, they also won't give two hoots about).......

That's what I'd do.... it might be a bit of work, but there's principle involved!

Shades
Old 02 September 2003, 10:32 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

What on earth do you have in your house to make just the contents insurance be £350?!

My (5 Bed / £500K) house contents AND buildings is only £240.

Steve.
Old 02 September 2003, 10:46 AM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Simple fact is that you have been stitched up along with all those that have their house and contents insurance linked with their mortgage.

I was in the same position until my renewal last November when I decided to change insurance companies. The Halifax Buildings and Contents insurance does offer some benefits over other policies. These benefits include unlimited building cost cover, however as you have found you do pay for the cover. I think the conents cover might have been unlimited too. It is very very easy to under-value your contents. Wander down to the local shops to see how much it will cost to replace all your beds, sofas, cupboards,clothes chairs, tables, desks pcs, stereos etc. You might be in for a suprise!

There is no doubt that you pay for the convience of insuring your house through the mortgage, but this has been wildely publicised over the past few years by the media, hence why I changed last year.

I have left my banking, mortgage, credit cards with the Halifax for the simplereason that I think they are one of the better banks. They have campaigned for ATMs to be free, or display charges clearly at the beginning of the process, their branches are open Saturday mornings, and there are plenty of them.

I believe that any of the banks will stitch up their loyl customers given half a chance, and accept it as a fact of life. The only way to make a difference is to re-mortgage every couple of years, miove bank account every few years, move your savings accounts etc.

However its a hassle and until most people do it the Banks will continue to stich up their loyal customers.
Old 02 September 2003, 11:14 AM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know
our building and contents insurance is £30/month but we do have a lot of cover for personal items away from the home which means that jewellery / handbag and contents etc is still covered which some policies don't offer. All depends on what level of cover you want
Old 02 September 2003, 11:34 AM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

it seems the average is about 120-130 for contents and the same for buildings.
Old 02 September 2003, 11:46 AM
andys
Scooby Regular

They tried to force us to buy buildings insurance from them last year when we took out a mortgage. They kept saying it was ilegal not to get it from them. Lucky wife works for a legal firm and knows the score. We told them to **** off and got it for half the price from the AA.

Old 02 September 2003, 12:01 PM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

Had to have building and contents with the robbing b4stards when I bought my gaff 9 years ago. Renewal this year was well over £350 and I've only got a 3 bed semi FFS. Should've changed this years ago but too idle to bother. Have now tho'. Got better cover for £220 with Egg.
Old 02 September 2003, 12:24 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Agreed,
I ditched these losers five years ago for the Abbey.
best thing I ever did

Peanuts.........
changing is easy as well, just sign a new form at your chosen bank and they do it all for you, direct debits and all.
Abbey are a thousand times better and make you feel like they want your business.
Old 02 September 2003, 12:41 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

To be fair to Halifax, no one could come close to the home insurance deal they offered me about 3-4 years ago for both coverage and low premium - but since then prices have gone up each year despite no claims until I left them last year to Liverpool Victoria