Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

BB pistols - good fun or a waste of money?

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2003, 11:51 PM
MrShades
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Ian, good tips - which I need at the moment. What the heck is that thing? I guess it doesn't use little CO2 cylinders, and it also doesn't look like something that you have to 'break' to ****/prime - The cylinder under the barrel could be a give away.... it holds a 3Kg CO2 fire extinguisher doesn't it????????

I may be Gloucester way, but getting my **** off the seat is obviously a major issue when shopping - so got all of it from Blackpool, care of www.airgunbuyer.com - which seemed by far the cheapest around and offered some good advice.

Hopefully will get it all by Friday and can spend some time emptying cylinders and flattening pellets....

Should be fun!

Shades

Edited to say - JESUS! I've just found out what it is - it's a Theoben Rapid 7/17/12 - How much does that thing cost!!!!! My new equal length headers are only slightly more than that, fully fitted and dyno'd...... That's madness. I'd want it to load, aim, pull the trigger and scrape up the mess for that!!!!!!

[Edited by MrShades - 9/2/2003 11:57:20 PM]
Old 01 September 2003, 10:56 PM
MrShades
Scooby Regular

Question

I keep getting this urge to buy a BB pistol - probably a KWC Walther P99 heavyweight (with hop-up), firing 0.2g plastic BB and with 0.5 joules of power (can any of them be 'tweaked' above this??).

If I do, I'll go for an indoor target - just so that the cats stay in one piece. Also tempted by a silencer, for that full 007 look.

Anyone got a BB pistol and rates them, or anyone tried them and decided that they're a stupid waste of money and it's a waste of space?????? Any comments / advice????

I'm only looking at spending 50 quid or something, which is about a tank of Optimax - so hardly a significant investment... but would still appreciate any helpful advice.

I keep trying to tell myself that a replica gun would be a good idea in the event of a house break-in and attempted Scooby key theft. The sensible part of my brain tells me that raising the odds in this way is completely stupid........

I'll justify one to myself yet!

Shades
Old 01 September 2003, 11:04 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

I have an Airgun. I have quie liked them since I was a child. I currently have an Anics Skif:

Great power, accuracy and 28 rounds!

I'm not sure about the burglar thing though. If you want one for protection, then aim for the head as most heavy clothing will stop pellets from (legal) air pistols.

Air rifles are another matter....

Steve.
Old 01 September 2003, 11:10 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

Reading the rest of your post, the Anics Skif is the maximum allowed by law (6lb/ft I believe).

You can tweak air pistols and rifles (12lb/ft) above this limit but you are in serious legal trouble. We are talking posession of a firearm / five years in jail type trouble.

Steve.
Old 01 September 2003, 11:23 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

boxst,

what does that thing fire - is it 6ftlb's ?
Old 01 September 2003, 11:28 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

mj:

Yes, it's the maximum.

http://www.anics.com/eskif.html

Steve.
Old 01 September 2003, 11:29 PM
CHRIS_D
Scooby Regular

i have the walther p99 heavyweight

cost me £50, good fun when shootin your mates, better if you get the harder ***** (white ones)

its the mag that makes it heavy BTW, the rest is really light. If you can stretch another £50 you'd be better getting a gas one which are semi-automatic. My mates got a smith & wesson semi-auto and its the dogs

chris
Old 01 September 2003, 11:29 PM
MrShades
Scooby Regular

Just reading up on that thing boxst........ looks like 'fun' - about the most powerful air pistol on the planet by the looks of it.

I was looking at 'manual' plastic bb firing things - which are just spring powered. Your weapon of choice appears to use CO2 cylinders and fire either metal bbs or pellets. A 28 shot mag sounds like a good idea as well, especially if there's two hooded intruders to contend with

How costly are the CO2 cylinders and how many shots do you get from one?

Any advice on a good place to buy one from at a sensible price?

Might be going up-market.......

Hmmmmmm....

Shades
Old 01 September 2003, 11:34 PM
Crush
Scooby Regular

I've had a couple. I just shot tin cans & the likes, and actually had a good aim

They're good fun, but you soon get bored finding BB's all over the house

Old 01 September 2003, 11:43 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Shades:

I haven't used my gun very much recently, but if I remember correctly the CO2 capsules are around £6 for ten. Each capsule shoots around 70 - 80 pellets.

I paid around £80 for my Anics Skif from a gun shop. Having a quick search on google, the price appears to have gone up to around £90-£95.

Steve.
Old 01 September 2003, 11:44 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

boxst,

..as that guy in the Terminator said :

" Ideal for home defence "

I might have to get one of those, I've got a Umarex Co2 pistol.

Originally I bought one of those Chinese plastic £20 jobbies to deal with a stray cat that came in the house & p1ssed in the kitchen. Unfortunateley my GF threw it out of the widow when I tested the stopping power on her backside,it hurts apparently

Anyway, put it back together and traded it in for a umarex - miles better, Quite accurate for a pistol, bottle tops/coins@10yds, and fires as fast as you can pull the trigger.

Apparently, by shortening the spring in the valve that the firing pin hits, you get these things to empty a Co2 bottle in 8 shots or so - wouldn't fancy being a burglar much.
Old 02 September 2003, 03:14 AM
JayPSC
Scooby Regular

They're good fun, but you soon get bored finding BB's all over the house
Yeah & at work, the car, your shoes - everywhere lol
Old 02 September 2003, 03:54 AM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Try looking up UKAN, which is a BBS about Airsoft.

Maruzen BTW make the best Walther copy.
Old 02 September 2003, 03:58 AM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

BB guns, air pistols and airsoft should not be confused.

The "BB" fired from an airsoft gun has been foud by the FSS not to cause penerative wounds. BB also stnads for Bullet Ball.

Airsoft is a sport which realives on tactics and a great deal of honesty.

It originated in Japan the common weights for the standard 6mm BB are 0.2, 0.25, 0.3 and 0.45 gtammes.
Old 02 September 2003, 04:19 PM
MrShades
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Right - done it.

Your fault boxst

I've gone for the new(ish) Anics Brocock F1 - more powerful and accurate than the Skif A3000 apparently (due to the barrel extension). Also slightly more expensive.

30 CO2 cartridges (25 normal, 5 lubricated)

Bisley Target holder

100 paper targets

500 round tipped pellets (for the targets)

500 pointy pellets (for the burglars / rats / vermin)

Lubricating gun-oil

I'm sure a light-gun for the PSX / Xbox would have been cheaper - but nowhere near as fun, and much less chance of scaring any Scooby thiefs with a bit of grey plastic with wires hanging from it...

Just need to clear some room in the garage now, for my own private pistol range.

Shades
Old 02 September 2003, 11:13 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Nah, you want flat heads (or even better hollowpoints) for burglars / rats / vermin. The last thing you want is for the pellet to go straight through the flesh and out the other side as it then imparts very little energy on the target.

A flat or hollow point smacks into the target imparting much more of its energy into the flesh. With a human it'll bloody hurt and probably leave the pellet inside. With vermin / rats you will cause hydrostatic shock which will kill them instantly.

As an aside, most CO2 based guns are actually quite low power, usually around 3 lb/ft. This is usually not enough to kill a rat except at very close range. Yes, it'll hurt them but I'm sure you would rather kill them stone dead rather than inflicting an awful lot of pain on them.

If you want to hunt vermin can I suggest you try something like this:

Also, flat pellet are also better for paper targets as they punch a nice clean hole in the paper rather than ripping the paper like round/pointed pellets.

See you are Gloucester way, where did you go for your stuff ?

Anyway, have fun

Cheers

Ian

[Edited by IWatkins - 9/2/2003 11:22:31 PM]
Old 03 September 2003, 12:14 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Whilst we are on the subject of theobens - here is my .22 evo

Simon.
Old 03 September 2003, 12:23 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Shades,

Yep, Theoben Rapid MkII in .22. Was rather expensive but is very very consistant, which is what you need. The bottle on the front is a 400cc compressed air bottle that I fill from a divers tank to about 210Bar, gives about 250 good shots before refilling. The rifle itself takes 12 shot magazines so you can bang off shots quite quick. However, it is no fun for shooting in the house or garage. Garden is needed but farmers fields / woods is much better still.

Blackpool Air Rifles are excellent, it is where I got the Rapid from. Service is excellent and the guys there are very helpful, Lloyd especially. You shouldn't have any problems with them.

As an aside, I read that the F1 is rated at around 4 lb so is going to be a really fun gun.

P1Fanatic,

Evo, Mmmm, drool

Cheers

Ian
Old 03 September 2003, 11:23 AM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Brocock is not a BB pistol though it is an Air pistol there is a massive distinction.

Especially when it comes to the area of wounds inflicted.

I would also not advise stating you have one to shoot burglers or anything that is not officially classed as vermin (not burglers but rats and the like).

You are showing intent to wound at the least with a statement like that and that could land you in trouble.