Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Car Cloning

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2003, 12:35 PM
gregjd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

A warning..although it happening to you is probably unavoidable!

Having received two parking penalty notices in the last 2 days it would appear my wife's car's numberplate has been cloned. Both ticketswere issued in North London (one by Westminster Council, one Borough of Camden). The type of car seems to be the same as ours too (not sure about colour or model yet).

Seeing as the car was at our local train station in Aylesbury on the day in question (I use it to get me to the station as I commute into London, my wife is at home with the Nipper and the Scoob!) it obviously wasn't us, but I fear proving this is going to be tricky.

I gather this is an increasing problem as people are sneakily avoiding the Congestion Charge and that Uncle Ken is trying to whitewash the extent to which it is occurring. Seeing as the two fines we've received already date back to 22nd July, I'm expecting a load more...plus Congestion Charge offences, speeding tickets you name it..I guess someone could potentially do a hit and run or pull a bank job on a car with our plates..the mind boggles!

We're not intending to pay a penny for any of this and we will go through the appeals procedure and contact the DVLC / Police but the damage to credit ratings / points on license / general hassle is a worry.

Has this happened to anyone else out there? Any advice?

Old 29 August 2003, 12:46 PM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!
Poor you. It has happened to someone on here, his plates were 'cloned' onto another scoob and the w*nkers were filling up with petrol and then just driving off. Think the police were involved in that one. I'll see if I can find the thread.

Good luck in sorting it out!
Old 29 August 2003, 12:52 PM
gregjd
Scooby Regular

Cheers Red Dog!
Old 29 August 2003, 01:24 PM
thecirsch
Scooby Regular

IIRC correctly, wardens should take the serial number off the tax disc, thereby you can provide the number from yours to prove that the car in question wasn't yours. That is, if the warden can: 1)Read or 2)Be bothered to check the tax disc.

As for the congestion charge, me thinks this will be harder to prove. Although, as you've got some sort of proof of the cloning(ie the parking tickets) they may have unwittingly helped you out.

Ed
Old 29 August 2003, 02:34 PM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!
I've been looking for that post but can't find it! Sorry! I know it was on here though!
Old 29 August 2003, 02:52 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know
Red - it was a car filling up with petrol near the station in Hemel, reg A3WRX had been cloned onto it IIRC.
Never seen the original or the copy around though and yes, the police were involved
Old 29 August 2003, 03:01 PM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

You have got a good memory!! Been looking but still can't find the damn thing! I give up!!
Old 29 August 2003, 03:06 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

The thread in question was started by MattyB, but I can't find it either!

Andy