Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dating websites?

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2003, 07:43 PM
SteveV-WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
moving to a new area (buying my first flat!) and was recomended by one of my friends to give these websites a go at meeting new people.

and before I get flamed, no i'm not a sad muppet (sorry to all muppets out there!) just a bit daunted by the whole experience of not knowing anyone and looking to start a new relationship in a new place ect...

anyway i'm rambling, has anyone had any experiences, good or bad and recomendations of good site, dont mind free or paying if thats the set up.

cheers

Steve
Old 27 August 2003, 08:39 PM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

Best of luck but I'm not touching this with a barge pole!
Old 27 August 2003, 08:43 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Steve, you're not going to get any slagging off from me, mainly as I have used internet dating sites, and still do.

I would stay away from the MSN and Yahoo ones, as I've had people tell me they are the haunts of the weirdos

So, where to try, well, here's one's I'd suggest (these might be USA/Canada biased, but I think most will have a UK equiv) and yes, I am on most of them.

First up, a dating site directory site, if that makes sense, I've used a few they mention and they are good, so it's work a look http://www.mydatingsites.com/

Now for other sites (some of them might be on the above)

http://www.midsummerseve.com/ - rather good

www.lavalife.com - like this one a lot! very good!

http://www.datingdirect.com/

http://www.uk.matchmaker.com/ i lke this one too!

http://www.match.com/ pretty good too.

Now, these places are NOT full of bunny boiliers, there are some very nice and very genuine girls on there. Lavalife is one of my faves, just like the interface for it, and yes, I've had some girls interested in me from it.

Now, this is a really good site: http://www.eharmony.com/core/eharmony?cmd=home They match you with someone, rather than you doing the hunting, it's a great!

So, there you go, a few things to get you going. Don't be put off with people saying "it's a mugs game" or "you're sad!" I don't think I'm sad or a mug. I did actually meet one of my partners online, so it can work out. Why do I do it? well, regardless of the image I might portray, I am rather shy, especially around girls, and thus meeting girls in a bar is not something I'm confident in doing, so talking to them first to get to know them a bit helps a lot.

Good luck and happy hunting

[Edited by Markus - 8/27/2003 8:46:23 PM]
Old 27 August 2003, 08:47 PM
SteveV-WRX
Scooby Regular

cheers Markus, are they all british compatible? As your based in Canada, hopefully the ones you've said would be as I think trans-continental relationships maybe a bit expensive on the scoob's fuel bills!

BEW why?

Steve
Old 27 August 2003, 09:03 PM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Simply because I think you are leaving yourself open to all sorts of cr@p!

Do a search on the net and get on with it. To be blunt it's you that is taking a perfectly reasonable route after moving to a new area so why post up here!
Old 27 August 2003, 09:10 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Steve - I'm not sure about lavalife being brit compatible, but I know for sure that dating direct, midsummerverse, ukmatchmaker are deffo brit compatible as I used them when I lived in the UK, not sure about match com, but I think it is. As for Eharmony, think that US only, but not sure.

Old 27 August 2003, 09:14 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

bew- I think one reason steve might be posting up here is for the same reason I asked about idating when I first got into it. I had done my web serach but had no idea if any of the sites were any good, hence I wanted to ask on here if anyone had used any and which were the good ones. I knew enough to stay clear of the MSN and Yahoo ones
Old 27 August 2003, 09:15 PM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

Fair enough point!
Old 27 August 2003, 09:18 PM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

So how did you get on Markus?

Would you recommend this route for the newbies. *cough* *splutter*
Old 27 August 2003, 09:52 PM
SteveV-WRX
Scooby Regular

Wink

BEW

thanks for the heads up, but im big enough (and ugly enough! ) to take whatever coming and then some.

as Markus was saying i've already made my mind up as too what i'm doing, I was looking for peoples advice on better/worse ones!

anyway I just recon its because no one answered yours

Steve
Old 27 August 2003, 09:53 PM
BEW
Scooby Regular

Crafty bugga,think you will lure me into admitting one way or the other?
Old 28 August 2003, 12:16 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

bew - assume you mean with the girl I met? well, we went out for a fair few months and it was great ok we're not together now, but that's nothing to do with how we met, some things just don't work out, regardless of how you meet people.

Would I recommend online dating to newbies, well, yes, I would. If you find a good site or two then why not. absolute worst case you don't get any interest, best case you mean the girl of your dreams and live happily ever after. It does also depend what you are after. sex, friendship, pen-pal, or a serious relationship or anything in between all of those. There are sites catering for all or just one of those things. I am looking for a serious relationship, which is why I wanted to choose a good site to be on.

For example, Lavalife. It's got three sections;

Dating - Kinda confusing name, but its for friendship and the odd date, nothing serious (though you can use it for that if you want)

Realtionship - this is for people like me, who are not after just a friend, well, they are, but they are after more than that too.

Intimate Encounters - this is for people who are mainly looking for a sex based realtionship, trust me, there are some interesting people out there! I'll be a man and admit I've done a quick search on that one and you can never judge a book by it's cover the most innocent looking and sounding girl can be down right dirty lol

So yeah, it's worth a shot. ok a friend of mine thinks it's a bit odd, but to me it's not, why? well, like I said, I'm a bit shy and don't do the social thing too well, so it's perfect, plus you can find out a bit about a person, providing they are being honest that is, before you meet up or even exchange numbers.

Some have said that people always lie on their profiles, well, some do, but most tend not too, but hey, people like in person about themselves so it's not really different. OK, so there is no real emotion in online dating, but you can always be brave and go and meet the girl!
Old 29 August 2003, 02:26 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Never used one but one of our fellow SNers runs http://www.gisahug.com

Don't know how seedy it is but having meet the owner I would imagine it is

(only joking D)
Old 29 August 2003, 03:07 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

I found my fiancee through AOL. Just looked at the profiles, and went from there. Had one or two (well maybe more!) flings on route. Some great fun!

Much easier than a dating site too! So change ISP!
Old 29 August 2003, 03:10 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

FaceParty is getting pretty big these days. You'll need to pay a small fee to get the "cool tools" which lets you search for profiles using keywords. Worth a look though I would have thought.

My friend always meets people on there.

Andy