Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Where to live in Essex

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2003, 10:05 AM
SB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for everyones reassurance in my previous post, the other half and I have now been approved for a mortgage as my credit check came up clean :-)

We have been looking at certain areas in Essex,including Witham, Chelmsford \Chelmer Village and Great Notley\Black Notley?

We will need to have travel into central london each morning by train\car.

Can I have anyones feedback into the pros and cons of moving from greater london to any of these areas or any feedback in general

Cheers all
Old 27 August 2003, 10:10 AM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I live in Romford and travel to town each day. Trains are generally ok, was 5hitty when it was hot, speed restrictions involved.

Have some friends who live in Great Notley, its nice there IMO, fresh looking house designs, good for ameineties(sp) Trains are good.
Old 27 August 2003, 10:19 AM
SB
Scooby Regular

I agree there were some very nice developments in the area some of the best I have ever seen.
Old 27 August 2003, 10:31 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Areas in South Essex worth consideration are Hornchurch, Billericay, Shenfield, Benfleet, Rayleigh, Leigh-on-Sea (6th most desirable place to live in UK, recently voted), Chalkwell, Thorpe Bay, Hockley.

Those spring to mind readily, it's not an exhaustive list.
Old 27 August 2003, 10:45 AM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

Right Move

try this one.
Old 27 August 2003, 12:32 PM
Dapster
Scooby Regular

I live in a little village between Billericay and Chelmsford and work nr Waterloo - train from B'cay every few mins in the rush hour and every 20 mins at other times ending at 00:55 every night. Bus to the station every 20 mins or cab is £5. The Boys school and girls school in Chelmsford have top 3 ratings for GCSE pass rates in the country. There are some fab driving roads in the area as well if that is of any interest. Oh, and I'm selling my house.....

Try Walkers of Ingatestone on 01277 355005 and ask for houses in Stock if your interested... (cheap trick I know but it may help)
Old 27 August 2003, 01:38 PM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

We moved to Essex 10 years ago from the frozen north

We looked around lots and ended up in Shenfield near Brentwood. The main reason was the train service. Shenfield gets the best of two fast lines into London (Southend and Colchester) so in the peaks you can get a fast train every 10mins at least. Journey time is 20-25 mins, and Great Eastern are a good train operator - the best in South East. Cost of season ticket is about 220 quid per month though.

Going further out or closer in will not improve this, since the trains will get less frequent/more expensive. So we ruled out Chelmsford and beyond

Upminster and Hornchurch are options as well IHMO

Of course there's more to life than trains...Schools around Brentwood and Shenfield seem to be pretty good.

I'd recommend Brentwood/Shenfield, but then I would say that
Old 27 August 2003, 01:42 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

the best in South East
There speaks a man who hasn't travelled regularly on the nice air-conditioned, less cramped, higher-backed seated trains on c2c..!!
Old 27 August 2003, 01:45 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

It is B20. Very nice part of the world. Do we need to come up with a, er, budget list for sir? You're not going to force me into saying "Vange", are you..??!!
Old 27 August 2003, 01:49 PM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

Tel the c2c trains are great - I managed the contract to buy 'em for 3 years

However, and it pains me to say it GE is better, 'cos of the level of service it provides. 4 track railway and all that.

They're both pretty good and light years better than South West Trains and Connex etc. Essex is a good place to commute from.

BTW I wouldn't commute by road, but it is possible and people do do it
Old 27 August 2003, 01:53 PM
uksti
Scooby Regular

As a born and inbred Essex man myself I would recommend Chelmsford or Colchester - both are big enough to shop, eat and play in. Southend is an acquired taste imho - and at the end of the line.

It gets considerably cheaper from Chelmsford going up (excepting Stock which is posh Essex )
Old 27 August 2003, 01:58 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Nige, i know, we've discussed seating plans on c2c trains before. Although you're right that c2c is scuppered if there's a problem as a result of the two line restriction, recent experience (ie the last 5 years) has led me to the opinion that i would trade the c2c train comfort over possibly higher Great Eastern (did that for 10 previous years) reliability any day of the week. c2c has come a long way in recent years.
Old 27 August 2003, 03:00 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
quote: "in Tunbridge Wells 170k doesn't get you much more than a 1 or 2 bed appartment"

You are joking surely- my girlfriend has a nice little flat we rent out near the Pantiles.

I think it will be up for sale shortly if those prices are the current market value. We can buy a Bearnais farmhouse with 10 acres of land for that price here.
Old 27 August 2003, 03:06 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

2 bed terraces are fetching £150-£170k. I would think a Pantiles flat (depending on size and exact location) would easily fetch £170k.

My lady bought a 2 bed semi (oldish style cottage) in an area very near TW approx 18 months ago for £155k and it needed re-wiring, re-plumbing, all the walls re-plastering, new kitchen, new bathroom and new windows - she spent £30k doing it up and the most recent valuation she got was £250-260k. Bugger that - a 2 bed semi for over a 1/4 of a £million!

[Edited by Scooby96 - 8/27/2003 3:08:44 PM]
Old 27 August 2003, 03:10 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Bob - tell me about it! my parents place, which I'd dearly love to own, is nothing special but it's something like 180k, and that silly money, ok the area is nice, but like I said, nothing special. When I was looking and purchasing a place in TW it was a case of a 1 bed studio flat or nothing! I'm not exctly raking the money in, but then again I do get paid pretty well for what I do, but I doubt i'd get a mortgage for a place I'd like, and I'm just talking a nice little 2 bed semi or something, it's crazy it really is. My friend has purchased a house for about 250k, which in old money is abour 110k, and there is no way you'd get a place like that for the same money in TW, not unless you were blackmailing the owner or the estate agent (hmm, there's an idea)
Old 27 August 2003, 03:15 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Sherwood / Showfields - NO NO!
Old 27 August 2003, 03:17 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

I live in Harlow and wold like a house with a garage in a nice area and i would be looking at 200K upwards which is out of my reach at the moment just need to do more over time! in harlow 2 bed terrace is about 100-110K
Old 27 August 2003, 03:23 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Bravo2zero try Edenbridge, thats where were going to move too and put the equity into upsizing and hopefully have enough to start buying repossessed studio flats and flogging them for a quick profit
Old 27 August 2003, 03:29 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Dont know for sure what those areas are like as I only ever drive past (quickly!) to my place in Crowborough. Not sure its a drugs den in the stereotypical way everyone thinks of such places but I expect a good majority of the TW dealing happens there.

Dont really rate TW that well anyway - quite a few 'bars' but **** all nightclubbing - Davinchis (now Liquid Lounge) and High Rocks, both ****e.

IMO it needs a decent club - possibly the old cinema would be a good central venue but as everyone knows the owners of the existing clubs are on the local council!!!

[Edited by Scooby96 - 8/27/2003 3:30:49 PM]
Old 27 August 2003, 03:39 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
quote: "Sherwood / Showfields - NO NO!"

Actually these are names I only ever ead in the paper, other than the odd weekend we spent all our time in my flat in Brighton (or Skidrow on Sea as Private Eye calls it-LOL). She just bought the flat there as she worked in Forest Row and couldn't find anywhere there. this was 6 yrs ago and she paid less than 50K for it!

It will be going on to the market soon- if anyone is interested its located nr the Chinese with the Elvis Impersonator owner.

Quick Reply: Where to live in Essex