Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

"easyJet in a lake"....almost.

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2003, 09:31 AM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did a quick search but coulrn't find any posts about this incident that happened on the 15th of August.

10mins after take off, this 737 entered a cloud of hail stones. 6-seconds later this was the end result.

More pictures here. > http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/f.braaksma/

A large bill from dentmaster.ch and the local dry cleaners should follow.
Old 27 August 2003, 09:36 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

'kin 'ell, that looks nasty, wouldn't have fancied being on that flight, bet it sounded like the end of the world on board
Old 27 August 2003, 09:38 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Most definately is EJIAL

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadid=243928

Posted yesterday.
Old 27 August 2003, 09:48 AM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

Typical! (searched on easyjet & Geneva and found nowt!)

Pilot certainly 'did well' to land it given the visibility through the damaged windscreen and possible partial loss of instrumentation but I bet he (or she) will have some serious questions to respond to because 'surely' a could of hail that dense would have shown up on weather radar.
Old 27 August 2003, 10:52 AM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

Not only would it have shown up on the onboard weather radar, it would have been as clear as a very clear thing on the ATC radar as well.

Now it's quite possible (I don't have the logs available yet) that the pilot was aware of the cloud and had requested clearance to go round it. It's also possible that, what with airspace being a little crowded and his only being 10 minutes out, that conflicting traffic would have prevented his changing from the prearranged flight plan.

But whatever, he did bloody well getting it back in one piece. Even with CAT III ILS to make up for the lack of vision. Would *you* want to trust an automatic landing system after you'd given it a kicking like that?
Old 27 August 2003, 12:36 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Something similar happened to the roof and bonnet of my old Astra near junct. 13 of the M1 very scary - imaginge someone tipping a skip full of golf ***** over the top of the car!

OK, I admit you had to look really closely when the car was clean and in sunlight to see the dents but sure enough it was covered!
Old 27 August 2003, 01:37 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Red face

Car Magazine had it happen to a long-term 106GTI a few years back. It was parked outside in a massive hailstorm, left the roof and bonnet looking like the surface of the moon according to the pics they published.

Nice thick metal then
Old 27 August 2003, 04:00 PM
Dapster
Scooby Regular

Check this out for an "air incident report" and remember when someone nicks your stapler how tough your job is....

Date: 06/10/1990
Airline: BAA British Airways
Aircraft: BAC One-Eleven 528FL
Fatalities/No. Aboard: 0:85
Details: On a flight from Birmingham, England to Malaga, Spain, at FL 173, a large section of windshield fell away from the aircraft. The decompression pulled the captain out from under his seatbelt. Despite trying to hold onto the yoke, the captain was sucked out into the opening. A steward in the cockpit was able to grab hold of his legs. Another steward was able to strap himself into the vacant seat and aid in holding onto the captain's legs. The copilot wearing full restraints made an emergency landing at Southampton. The captain remained half way out of the aircraft for 15 minutes and suffered only frostbite and some fractures. Improper bolts used to replace the windshield two days earlier.
Old 27 August 2003, 04:17 PM
Johnny50
Scooby Regular

Red face

at the above !!
Old 27 August 2003, 04:30 PM
BenjC
Scooby Regular

I used to live in Geneva, I remember one year, I think it was 1986, a hail storm like the one discribed hit the city. Every car that was in the open required body work. Loads of injurys too, considering that some of the hail stones were larger than an adults fist it was suprising loads didn't die!!!
Old 27 August 2003, 04:52 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

well fank god 4 good ole sunny Britain
Remember the piolt hanging out of plane story from a while back with pictures, er i think the term was OUCH
Si
Old 27 August 2003, 05:35 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I was in Sydney a week after they had a "freak" hailstorm - lots of buildings with tarps instead of roofs.. also lot's of cars looking like well used golf *****
Old 27 August 2003, 07:40 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

I remember a while back being on a website that had the voice recordings from crashes/near misses, very very scary stuff!!!
Old 28 August 2003, 03:21 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Only people who are tired of life go flying into Cumulo Nimbus clouds or hailstorms if they can avoid it. As Sbradley says, sometimes it is very difficult to get ATC clearance to avoid it though,and it can be very frightening. I have had to go as much as 100 miles off track to get round the storms which can reach 50K feet close to the Equator. You dont even fly close to them because the hailstones get thrown out of the clouds at high level.

Les
Old 28 August 2003, 07:38 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

Even if I couldn't get ATC clearance, if I had the big red blob of death on my radar I'd go around it and argue with ATC about it later.
That said you can still get this sort of damage on freak occasions in "low intensity" areas on the radar.

Old 28 August 2003, 09:26 PM
Blobster
Scooby Regular

Red face

Dapster, I've heard the cockpit/ATC voice recording of the BA1-11 incident and it's brown trousers scary.

PS. The worst landing I've ever seen was on autopilot and resulted in the aircraft being beyond economical repair! No passengers on board at the time, thankfully. Damage to that Easyjet looks minimal by comparison.

Blobster
Old 29 August 2003, 02:13 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Plenty of info if you know where to look

The B737 involved, reg HB-III, turned around and returned to GVA (NOT Zurich as mentioned in the other thread) after the incident, and was due to leave the EJ fleet the following weekend anyway.

Once temp repairs are done it will be flown back to FLS Aerospace at STN to be fully repaired. Most of the damage is superficial (like the nosecone is just a cover to protect the radar, it is not a part of the pressurised airframe) anyway.

There is going to be an inquiry into the incident, and reasons for the crew allegedly not avoiding the hail (like sometimes it does not show up on weather radar , or terrain/other air traffic issues - it was in some of the busiest airspace in Europe) are pure speculation in the interim

[Edited by Dave T-S - 8/29/2003 2:15:32 PM]
Old 31 July 2006, 03:27 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Old 31 July 2006, 03:32 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Old 31 July 2006, 03:58 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

WOW - another 'from the archives' thread.....what is it at the moment.......history week.....lol
Old 31 July 2006, 05:49 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

I've heard a couple of very amusing tales of aeroplane mishaps recently - I can't tell you where they're from, but they are 100% true - I've seen the pics!

There was the incident where a forklift truck operator missed the cargo bay door and punched a huge hole in the side of the plane causing over £3m of damage!

Or, my very favourite, the pilot who collided with the North Terminal at Gatwick airport because "I never saw it!" And the best bit? He's the third pilot in recent years to do exactly the same thing.

Old 31 July 2006, 05:53 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Aww hell - if we're doing old airport gags then I know this is a SIAL but still has me roaring with laughter!

PILOTS & AIR CONTROLLERS
The following are accounts of actual exchanges between airline pilots and control towers around the world.
================================================== =========
Tower: "Delta 351, you have traffic at 10 o'clock, 6 miles!"
Delta 351: "Give us another hint! We have digital watches!"
"TWA 2341, for noise abatement turn right 45 Degrees."
"Centre, we are at 35,000 feet. How much noise can we make up here?"
"Sir, have you ever heard the noise a 747 makes when it hits a 727?"

From an unknown aircraft waiting in a very long take-off queue: "I'm f*&*ing bored!"
Ground Traffic Control: "Last aircraft transmitting, identify yourself immediately!"
Unknown aircraft: "I said I was f*&*ing bored, not f*&*ing stupid!"

O'Hare Approach Control to a 747: "United 329 heavy, your traffic is a Fokker, one o'clock, three miles, Eastbound."
United 329: "Approach, I've always wanted to say this... I've got the little Fokker in sight."

A student became lost during a solo cross-country flight.
While attempting to locate the aircraft on radar, ATC asked, "What was your last known position?"
Student: "When I was number one for takeoff."

A DC-10 had come in a little hot and thus had an exceedingly long roll out after touching down.
San Jose Tower Noted: "American 751, make a hard right turn at the end of the runway, if you are able. If you are not able, take the Guadeloupe exit off Highway 101, make a right at the lights and return to the airport."

There's a story about the military pilot calling for a priority landing because his single-engine jet fighter was running "a bit peaked."
Air Traffic Control told the fighter jock that he was number two, behind a B-52 that had one engine shut down.
"Ah," the fighter pilot remarked, "The dreaded seven-engine approach."

Taxiing down the tarmac, a DC-10 abruptly stopped, turned around and returned to the gate. After an hour-long wait, it finally took off.
A concerned passenger asked the flight attendant, "What, exactly, was the problem?"
"The pilot was bothered by a noise he heard in the engine," explained the flight attendant. "It took us a while to find a new pilot."

A Pan Am 727 flight waiting for start clearance in Munich overheard the following:
Lufthansa (in German): "Ground, what is our start clearance time?"
Ground (in English): "If you want an answer you must speak in English."
Lufthansa (in English): "I am a German, flying a German airplane, in Germany. Why must I speak English?"
Unknown voice from another plane (in a beautiful British accent):
"Because you lost the bloody war."

Tower: "Eastern 702, cleared for takeoff, contact Departure on frequency 124.7"
Eastern 702: "Tower, Eastern 702 switching to Departure. By the way, after we lifted off we saw some kind of dead animal on the far end of the runway."
Tower: "Continental 635, cleared for takeoff behind Eastern 702, contact Departure on frequency 124.7. Did you copy that report from Eastern 702?"
Continental 635: "Continental 635, cleared for takeoff, roger; and yes, we copied Eastern... we've already notified our caterers."

One day the pilot of a Cherokee 180 was told by the tower to hold short of the active runway while a DC-8 landed. The DC-8 landed, rolled out, turned around, and taxied back past the Cherokee.
Some quick-witted comedian in the DC-8 crew got on the radio and said, "What a cute little plane. Did you make it all by yourself?"
The Cherokee pilot, not about to let the insult go by, came back with a real zinger: "I made it out of DC-8 parts.
Another landing like yours and I'll have enough parts for another one."

The German air controllers at Frankfurt Airport are renowned as a short-tempered lot. They not only expect one to know one's gate parking location, but how to get there without any assistance from them.
So it was with some amusement that we (a Pan Am 747) listened to the following exchange between Frankfurt ground control and a British Airways 747, call sign Speedbird 206.
Speedbird 206: "Frankfurt, Speedbird 206 clear of active runway."
Ground: "Speedbird 206. Taxi to gate Alpha One-Seven."
The PA 747 pulled onto the main taxiway and slowed to a stop.
Ground: "Speedbird, do you not know where you are going?"
Speedbird 206: "Stand by, Ground, I'm looking up our gate location now."
Ground (with quite arrogant impatience): "Speedbird 206, have you not
been to Frankfurt before?"
Speedbird 206 (coolly): "Yes, twice in 1944, but it was dark, -- And I didn't land."

While taxiing at London's Gatwick Airport, the crew of a US Air flight departing for Ft. Lauderdale made a wrong turn and came nose to nose with a United 727.
An irate female ground controller lashed out at the US Air
crew,screaming:
"US Air 2771, where the hell are you going?! I told you to turn right
onto Charlie taxiway! You turned right on Delta! Stop right there. I know it's difficult for you to tell the difference between C and D, but get it right!"
Continuing her rage to the embarrassed crew, she was now shouting hysterically: "God! Now you've screwed everything up! It'll take forever to sort this out! You stay right there and don't move till I tell you to!
You can expect progressive taxi instructions in about half an hour, and I Want you to go exactly where I tell you, when I tell you, and how I tell you!
You got that, US Air 2771?"
"Yes, ma'am," the humbled crew responded.
Naturally, the ground control communications frequency fell terribly silent after the verbal bashing of US Air 2771. Nobody wanted to chance engaging the irate ground controller in her current state of mind.
Tension in every cockpit out around Gatwick was definitely running high.
Just then an unknown pilot broke the silence and keyed his
microphone,asking: "Wasn't I married to you once?"
Old 31 July 2006, 07:27 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Old 04 January 2007, 08:09 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Wink Citation in a lake? You betcha!

YouTube - Citation Runway over shoot into Atlanta Bay
Old 04 January 2007, 08:15 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Greg Marland
Thanks for the info posted by J Haymer in regards to the easyjet incident on 15th August, it must of been unpleasant for all on-board. Jonathan Leaker has since left the company on non-related matters and understand captain Barrat-James now works for First Choice Airways. Exceptional flying from two exceptional pilots.
Have EasyJet given access to the Internet in the pilots staff room
Old 04 January 2007, 10:43 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

We get monster hailstorms here every year at the start of summer, alot of cars round here look like they have been hit by a shotgun, fortunately for us Mercedes pay to have the clouds salted with potassium I think which prevents the hail forming into massive *****. No idea how it works but as the Mercedes andf SMART factories are here in Böblingen and all the new cars are parked outside it would be a catastrophy if they all got hail damaged. One of my mates went to the next town over a few years ago and there was a hail storm that trashed every panel of his STi7.

Also our car insurance covers hail damage as it is such a problem here.
Old 04 January 2007, 12:42 PM
TDT
Scooby Regular

YouTube - Amazing 747 landing

Old 04 January 2007, 01:02 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dapster
Check this out for an "air incident report" and remember when someone nicks your stapler how tough your job is....

Date: 06/10/1990
Airline: BAA British Airways
Aircraft: BAC One-Eleven 528FL
Fatalities/No. Aboard: 0:85
Details: On a flight from Birmingham, England to Malaga, Spain, at FL 173, a large section of windshield fell away from the aircraft. The decompression pulled the captain out from under his seatbelt. Despite trying to hold onto the yoke, the captain was sucked out into the opening. A steward in the cockpit was able to grab hold of his legs. Another steward was able to strap himself into the vacant seat and aid in holding onto the captain's legs. The copilot wearing full restraints made an emergency landing at Southampton. The captain remained half way out of the aircraft for 15 minutes and suffered only frostbite and some fractures. Improper bolts used to replace the windshield two days earlier.
Saw that on Discovery channel, amazing stuff!