Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

cisco .. cisco ... cisco ...

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2003, 08:56 PM
brett555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wondering if anyone is cisco qualified here or does networking in general ? ...

Have signed up for the cisco course to start in september , have the book already etc... , am i letting myself in for some fun ? ...

what are your thoughts on this ? im doing this because im seeing this as a step into a career as i have been lost these past few months , been doing graphic design , websites etc.. but it doesnt seem to hold anything for me in the future.

thanks
brett
Old 21 August 2003, 09:28 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I do networking but I'm not "qualified" as such. The job market sucks big time, especially in our area (Warrington-ish). It's defiantely worth doing if you're looking long term, the more strings to your bow the better and the Cisco courses teach a lot of general networking principles, but don't expect to walk into a job just because your have your Cisco cert.
Old 21 August 2003, 09:47 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Certification, its great, I have my last Oracle OCP exam tommorow, its taken a year of study to get this far, good luck !
Old 21 August 2003, 09:56 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

It used to be that Cisco Certs meant a better chance of getting a good job. These days employers are a bit more switched on and are looking more for real "on the job experience" and realise that the cisco quals mean that someone can read a few books and regurgitate (sp?) it all. Obviously someone with good experience and Cisco certs is going to do even better.

I dont have any Cisco quals but have 4 years experience in network operations. I work with CCNP's who show me every day that it doesnt make them any better in a troubleshooting environment.

Most of the quals need renewing every 2 years so bear this in mind.

You should look more for a company that has the kit to play with so you can learn yourself. Dont just stick to Cisco though as they arent as a big as they used to be. Juniper experience is more sought after than Cisco but the more different types of routers you can get your hands on the better.

Simon.