Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone sick of Holywood flicks?

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2003, 08:18 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm beginning to notice a really bugging tendancy in films to be utterly unreaslistic these days. The matrix gets away with it because the story explains why Neo/Morphius/etc can do what they can do but what about the rest. I watched yet another film (the transporter) where the moves being pulled off we just total bull! People being kicked for miles, guys kicking and punching through walls, jumping higher than most high jumpers, etc!! Then there is 'The Craddle to the Grave' - a great film but think of some of stuff jackie chan does and how utterly dead he'd be!! Like when he drops down from level to level on the building catching on with only his hands Then there are the recent bond films

Anyone else getting annoyed by films being spoiled by completely impossible stunts that whilst good to watch detract from the film IMHO. I can't help but think, 'great film but realistically he'd have been dead after 5 mins and it would all be over!'

Oh, and finally 'xXx' - BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUL**** could he does those things!! Btw, the fastest snowboarders in the world will struggle to crack 60/70 - an avalanche does about 200mph: you do the math
Old 18 August 2003, 08:41 AM
mik
Scooby Regular

Agreed, but I'm also in the "Matrix was p1sh" camp.

All that million mile an hour kicking p1sh looks like total w4nk.
Old 18 August 2003, 08:51 AM
Defiant STI
Scooby Regular

Wink

Films are escapism. You don't go and see xXx and expect to see a realistic plot. Those types of films are pop corn flicks that allow you to switch off and enjoy the action. If you don't like it you don't have to see it and normally it's pretty apparent from the trailer as to whether a film has a realistic edge. Surely you realised that xXx was a no brainer from the trailer.

IMHO Matrix Reloaded was absolute junk. It had alot to live up to but even I could have done a better job of editing that cliched rubbish into something watchable.

As far as Craddle to the Grave is concerned, (great soundtrack ) just because you can't do it doesn't mean it isn't possible. It may have been a stuntman with hidden safety harness but it was still accomplished and for me that scene made the film.
Old 18 August 2003, 08:54 AM
Defiant STI
Scooby Regular

Wink

Oh, and by the way, I would never have thought it possible that someone could backflip off of a wall and on the way back round kick someone in the back of the head but I saw it with my own eye's, absolutely AWESOME.
Old 18 August 2003, 08:58 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Defiant I've also seen people run up walls and do some pretty crazy stuff but the films just seem to take it further and further until there isn't a shred of hope of it being humanly possible! Tripple X clearly was a no-brainer but it still bugs that its so utterly removed from humanity/laws of physics, etc.

P.S. Lets not turn this into a matrix thread guys - we all have our views and most of us have expressed them before
Old 18 August 2003, 09:09 AM
Defiant STI
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hehe, I'll refrain from another Matrix bashing session but that film makes me so MAD!

I know what you mean about Hollywood in general and it comes down to the "If it's popular let's rip it off" philosophy but I normally find that the most annoying film about the majority of films is the plot holes and inaccuracies. I'm always told that I over analyse films to the point of geekiness but what I can't understand is that if I can sit down and watch a film for 90 minutes and find numerous plot holes why can't the fecking director!

Rant over
Old 18 August 2003, 09:12 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Yeah, plot holes are bugging as well! I want an action film with lots of action but at least feasible action. I want a tight storyline without massive holes and I don't always want the guy to get the bird!!!! Why does the guy always nail the bird???? Why can't she just get her chebs out in the first 5 mins (to please the masses) and then get shot for saying something blonde!
Old 18 August 2003, 09:17 AM
Defiant STI
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hehe, I don't know Saxo! There are only a few films I can remember where key female characters die. One is Bond:OHMSS and the other is X-Men 2 (Jean Grey) although she probably won't stay that way There are probably hundreds more.

I just thought of another. Films influenced by merchandising rather than merchandising influenced by films. Case in point, the whole of the Star Wars saga after Empire Strikes Back and certainly the latest 2 films and more recently T3 which might have well been a bloody comedy!
Old 18 August 2003, 09:20 AM
V5
Scooby Regular

You can't knock Jackie Chan! That guy IS amazing! He DOES do all his own stunts, and without wires etc!! They do sometimes go wrong, and it hurts! If you watch a JC film, make sure you watch the credits and you'll see out-takes from where the stunts went wrong.

Rumble In The Bronx is a great example of this. He jumps onto a moving Hovercraft and breaks his ankle. So what do they do?? They paint his cast to look like his trainer and he jumps again!!

Old 18 August 2003, 09:20 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"Films are escapism."

yes but to use this justify crap is a nonsense....escapism doesnt mean it has to be tom and jerry
Old 18 August 2003, 09:31 AM
Defiant STI
Scooby Regular

I wasn't using that to just "crap" but simply to say that film's don't have to be realistic I liked xXx but Craddle to the Grave was terrible (IMHO!) but you have to admire the stunt

[Edited by Defiant STI - 8/18/2003 9:31:59 AM]
Old 18 August 2003, 09:39 AM
Many Humbug Returns
Scooby Regular

Computer generated effects are the problem - lets get back to real people doing real action.

CGI looks sh1te anyway.
Old 18 August 2003, 09:40 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Thumbs down

I hate Hollywood films in general and cannot think of one mainstream movie made in the last few years that was actually any good.

Overproduced crap genre movies are the order of the day- always with a sickly sweet happy ending. Load of ****.
Old 18 August 2003, 10:01 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Ok, chan is great and very tallented but there is no way in hell he was dropping from floor to floor catching only onto the concrete outshoot with his hands without wires. The best rockclimber in the world probably couldn't do that and even if he did he'd probably rip his tendons from the bone!!

I liked cradle 2 the grave but thought xXx was one of the worst films I've ever seen!!!
Old 18 August 2003, 10:05 AM
V5
Scooby Regular

Which film is he dropping from floor to floor like that?

TBH, it wouldn't suprise me if he was!
Old 18 August 2003, 10:07 AM
Defiant STI
Scooby Regular

Wink

Saxo, if you know any decent high rise buildings that fit the bill near you i'll come and give it ago It's not Chan it's JET LI!

Each to their own on the tastes front. I thought Craddle to the Grave was completely average and Tom Arnold just annoys the hell out of me! I have the sound track in my car at the moment and its not too bad with the exception of the classic "Die ***** F***er Die!"

[Edited by Defiant STI - 8/18/2003 10:08:03 AM]
Old 18 August 2003, 12:51 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

a stunt should be something that the actor...if he were doing it for real.....could do if he had luck on his side and big *****.

as soon as it becomes something no human could really do its no longer a stunt...its crap.

T
Old 18 August 2003, 01:12 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Romeo must die - a good film that would have been better if they didn't have the wirework in some of the fights - made it lok very unrealistic and tacky - and made Jet Li look bad.

Anyone seen Drive - good film!!
Admitably all of a sudden US film studios start going all wire-work crazy, and it's spoiling it.
I enjoy classic Jackie Chan movies and classic oriential wire-work films like Iron Monkey - at least in those films wirework stunts was accepted as being 'part of ancient mythology'
Old 18 August 2003, 01:17 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Chan.....li.....same thing

Tiggs - I 100% agree with your post! When I was a boy I used to watch a film and then go and try and pull off the moves on my little brother (bless him!) in my bedroom! Kids these days probably don't even bother because its very unlikely you'll be able to run around three walls and slit kick 2 guys at once sending then through a reinforced concrete wall! You can't look up to the stunts anymore and think, 'maybe if a practise really hard I'll be able to do that' because no human can

P.S. I used to walk around with a hat and a bit of rope like Indy
Old 18 August 2003, 02:23 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are two amazing fight scenes in Jackie Chan's Gorgeous, with Brad Allan. Entirely do-able, no tricks, pure skill and completely awesome.
Old 18 August 2003, 02:26 PM
sexy wrx69
Scooby Regular

Question

PinkEye....got Drive on vid at home waiting to be seen.

Is it really any good????

Old 18 August 2003, 02:35 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

I think it's a good film if you like hong kong-influenced films (it won a load of awards apparently), The fight scene at the end in the nightclub is very good.
Watch the interview with Mark Darcascos (sp), he talked about how he used to try and emulate Jackie Chan's "Walking up the wall and flipping over" stunt, and the first time he tried it the ceilin was too low and he knocked himself out

[Edited by PiNkEyE69 - 8/18/2003 2:35:41 PM]
Old 18 August 2003, 02:40 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Saxo boy...............the aforementioned films are for escapism... they aren't supposed to be REAL. Through films we can all imagine things we cannot see or do in real life . Its called entertainment.
When I saw the title of this thread I thought it was going to be about the profusion of U.S. generated films... I'd like to see more Brit generated movies but I guess it all comes down to wonga .
Old 18 August 2003, 02:51 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Jackie Chan did all his own stunts in those films and the only thing these used were wires to do some of the impossible moves.

If you mean the shopping centre scene where he jumps onto the pillar and slides down with all the lights smashing, then that is real. No camera tricks or wires, just huge b@lls

The problem with Hollywood is no-one does any dangerous stunts anymore. They may get some stunt double to do it but it's never gonna look realistic enough. Get some actor who's scared sh!tless and it'll look just like you or me trying it

The computer gen stuff is getting very tiresome. You can only take so much slow motion stuff ala the Matrix. The first one was good as it broke new ground. The 2nd one I thought was pretty sh!te.

Hopefully Pirates of the Caribbean will restore my faith in the film industry

Stefan
Old 18 August 2003, 10:48 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

LMAO I just remembered another film that bugs me.....rocky As massively enjoyable as it is to watch you do have to wonder if they went overboard with the beating he takes! Any man that took THAT many hard punches would be brain dead and not a bone in his head would be intact yet the Rocks fights on
Old 18 August 2003, 10:53 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure, you sound like you've taken one too many hits to the head
Old 18 August 2003, 10:55 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

AAAAAAAAAAAdrian