Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Why do people never look when they cross a road??

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2003, 11:00 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I nearly hit a Woman today, she was wandering absent-mindedly into the raod with a kid intow, the kid had seen me and stopped at the edge of the pavement, the mother carried on walking into the road, then started trying to drag the kid after her I was in two minds whether to run her over I settled on a blast of the horn, after which she started on a rant about ME being an idiot & not loooking where I was going[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] It would have been quieter if I'd run her over

[Edited by CrisPDuk - 8/7/2003 11:08:52 PM]
Old 07 August 2003, 10:30 PM
Luke
BANNED

Angry

I am a amazed how many (Mainly women) people cross a road without looking at the cars coming towards them.....
They are not interested if the driver has seen them or is going to stop!! and when I bib th ehirn they Sh*T themselves and loked supprised!!!

They are like idiots..

No wonder people get run over...
Old 07 August 2003, 10:38 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, totally agree, especially in Manchester on Deansgate to busy thinking about texting, Posh Spice style specs, Gucci, Prada, Pret a Manger and blokes in Paul Smith Suits with ***** hair styles to notice traffic, my mate drives a Transit and takes enormous pleasure in reving it as some trendy ***** is crossing whilst on a mobile, they soon lose their cool !
Old 07 August 2003, 11:09 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

CrispDuk, Cheshire I would imagine !
Old 07 August 2003, 11:13 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Er..... men are just as bad.... mobiles have a lot to answer for, people are so engrossed in their conversation they are in another world.
Old 07 August 2003, 11:19 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

There's loads of em here too, they step into the road, then look for traffic, stoopid *******[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

My sister did it the other day, she claimed to be ill and generally tired, wandered into the road and got her toes run over and took the mirror off the car with her hip, I laughed at her when she told me what she'd done, divvy bint
Old 07 August 2003, 11:27 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

That nightmare stopped when I put race cans on the motorbike - specifically for this purpose, especially when filtering past stationary traffic in town.

Amateur psychology corner - people only look if they have already had an aural cue to actually justify looking. So baaaaad - esp when they have prams/babies.

D

Old 07 August 2003, 11:31 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

Oh, that's another! Where I live, Skipton, it's a market town so when it's market day you'll be driving down the high street when all of a sudden a push chair will emerge from between two stalls and gets thrusted out into the road, I think the parents expect the baby to look out for traffic
Old 07 August 2003, 11:59 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Push chairs How many times has that happened to me?

I'm not too keen on groups of joggers either...one crosses, its OK, plenty of time. But when all the stragglers follow afterwards , it means I have slam on the anchors, and they wave thanks for stopping! - as I shout back "As if I had any effing choice!"

I think the absolute worst is pedestrains who don't seem to understand that they cannot be seen by reversing vans without windows or trucks. I had a woman give a right earful beacase I tapped into her (reversing at 1mph - bleeper on too). I replied, Ok you try and reverse this truck yourself and see if you can see anyone walking behind it! I was already halfway into the road when it happened, rather than waiting she just walked onto the road to walk round the back!
Old 08 August 2003, 12:31 AM
Dazza012
Scooby Regular

Red face

i live in a quiet cul-de-sac off a main rd so there's not much traffic turning into it, and the times people cross over without looking behind em, well u honk de horn and they turn round and give YOU sh*t, for doing it, why bother, might as well runt he ******* over.
Old 08 August 2003, 09:21 AM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Remember that pedestrians pretty much have right of way at all times (obviously they shouldn't be on m'ways etc). That's why we have 30 zones. Also obviosuly, if they step out a foot in front of you, they can't expect you to stop. You just need to have your "hazard awareness" head on - if you're passing parked cars on a high street, be prepared for kids, prams etc to emerge from between them. You'll feel pretty bad if you run over a pushchair with a kid in it, even if you weren't speeding and the mum was stupid enough not to look properly.
I hooted at a pedestrian once - she was strolling across the road at a pelican corssing but she had a red man (just had an real attitude), and unfortunately there was a motorbike cop up the road who saw. He pulled me over and gave me a right lecture, despite the fact that he appreciated that she was in wrong and acting antagonistically.
Doesn't make it any less annoying though when people do step out.
Old 08 August 2003, 09:34 AM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Cool

[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] pushchairs [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

FFS what are they thinking....?

Old 08 August 2003, 10:13 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Smile

I realise pedestrians do have right of way etc and I'm not out on a killing spree or owt but a bit of consideration and comon sense from them wouldn't go a miss....I've never walked into a road without looking, more from a point a self preservation rather being courtious to drivers....
Old 08 August 2003, 10:17 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Wink

There really are times when I wish I could go on a Grand Theft Auto Rampage and drive over people and get rewarded for it....

Better than a horn is a nice coked up decat system and a vta dump valve
Old 08 August 2003, 11:38 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

We have terrible troubles like that down here,especially when the holiday makers are here. They treat roads in towns as though they are pedestrianised and step into the road in front of you at any time without looking. If you have to stand on the anchors for them it is never their fault of course. Half of them walk down the centre of the road instead of using the pavements where there is plenty of room for them anyway. They just won't move out of the way to let the queueing traffic go by. The police don't care unless they get a chance to book a motorist for hitting one even though it is the pedestrian's fault.

Les
Old 08 August 2003, 12:29 PM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Pushchairs!

I always remember a safety slogan from a few years back when I see some dozey mum push her child onto the road:

Sometimes you shouldn't put your children first.

This should be written on the handles of all pushchairs.

[Edited by Jiggerypokery - 8/8/2003 12:30:29 PM]
Old 08 August 2003, 12:39 PM
SkodaMan
Scooby Regular

Haging right of way doesn't do you much good when you're being ground to a pulp under truck wheels. Pedestrians are more fragile than motor vehicles, and should therefore look before crossing.

What winds me up most is idiots who cross the road blindly when there's a pedestrian crossing not 50 yards in either direction. Rochdale Road in Manchester has TONS of pedestian crossings in and around Harpurhey, presumably in an effort to reduce casualties. Yet the walking deathwishes seem to keep wandering across a major road wherever they wish.
Old 08 August 2003, 12:54 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

As bad as pedestrians are the cyclists who whizz out of side turnings without stopping or looking. Same as ones [especially kids] who decide that they no longer want to cycle on the footpath and suddenly decide that the road is a better option.
Old 08 August 2003, 01:53 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Angry

Jacko, Correct! It was in Alderley Edge, but how did you know?

Another one that really gets my goat in these parts is all the lazy ***** that can't be bothered to walk the extra ten yards to a pedestrian crossing[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 08 August 2003, 02:06 PM
AdrianFRST
Scooby Regular

A good antidote to these situations is a vehicle that backfires on command (and very loudly too)

- Knackered cat converter with the innards knocked out £free
- Cheeky ignition cut switch and wiring £couple of quid

- Seeing Mr Cool sh*t himself and loose all composure £priceless
Old 08 August 2003, 03:57 PM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

With all the extended 30 mile limits and speed humps, traffic is doing about 25mph or less

I am sure people are more blasé, as if a 2mph collision won’t damage them.

People are loosing the respect for the road as an area of risk, this will be at their cost I am sure.
Watch for the rise in accident figures!
Old 08 August 2003, 04:46 PM
Tino
Scooby Regular

Oops, sorry thought it was a 'chicken gag'