Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Is it a holiday scam ----- :)

Search this Thread

Old 05 August 2003, 10:35 AM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After filling out a quick survey in town, 4 days later I recieved a phone call telling me I had won a free holiday, plus hire car to Spain, Canaries or Tenerife..... This was confirmed in writing this am in the post..

Now I'm not sure about this... Apparently I've got to collect the tickets from Broom House, like a hotel......

Whats the catch? Do you really get something for nothing or are they going to try and sell me something

J
Old 05 August 2003, 10:39 AM
Badger Stuffer
Scooby Regular

It's a scam mate.

They'll get you there and make you sit through hours of drivel selling timeshares and you will then only get your holiday if you either:

or

Agree to go to the timeshare villa while there and sit through more hours of drivel and pressure selling.

Old 05 August 2003, 10:39 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

id imagine you will end up being sold some time share apartments

once your out there they have you all to themselves, no escape

, go - take the free holiday and make sure you are out every day so they cant iritate you
Old 05 August 2003, 10:41 AM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Have been to loads of these on account of someone dragging me there!

They're always the same. You have to sit through a 1 hour or so sales pitch for time share (which is definitely time share, whatever they may choose to call it).

Even if you say no you get the holiday but to get it completely free you usually have to be available to go at 10 days notice. If you want more notice than that you usually have to pay.

And as they're selling timeshare can you guess where you'll be staying and what you'll be required to do once you're out there...?

You don't get owt for nowt in this world!

Old 05 August 2003, 11:01 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

If it's Broome House in Kent then It's probably GVC (Grand Vacation Company). They are like timeshare but instead of buying into 1 property for a fixed time, you buy points which are then exchanged for holidays anywhere at any time.
If you go along to the presentation you will get a holiday whether you buy or not. The presentations usually last 2hrs or so, followed by the hard sell. Simply B/S them that you've no disposable income at all and they'll give up pretty quick (after offering you a 10yr loan, @ 19.9%APR). When you get your holiday abroad, there is an agreement that you will attend another presentation, but if you again make it clear that you have no cash you should be out of it within 2hrs.
If you go to Tenerefe you might be lucky and end up in Royal Sunset appartments, they're really nice. Or the Royal Tenerefe Golf & Country Club, remote but nice.
We bought into this a few years back and have had a few nice holidays. The big bargains are the midweek breaks in the UK, but you have to book a year in advance. More recently I've noticed there is virtually no late availability (1/2 point price) and it's loosing it's appeal.
Go have a look, it is worth considering, unless you have kids. You will have to buy a lot of points to get decent holidays at peak time and it prob ain't worth it. Get your free holiday anyway.

[Edited by corradoboy - 05/08/2003 11:02:18]
Old 05 August 2003, 11:06 AM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

Yep, sounds like the timeshare claptrap.
They called me to see if i wanted to go, I thought i'd make it hard for them; so I said I would come along, but only myself, as wife is busy.
Oh no.. they said you both have to come.
Why..... i says
Because we like to make sure that you can both make your own mind up.
Well i can tell the wife all about it later; she can then make her own mind up.
No we cant do that.... they says
But why... i says
No ..we cant accept that... they says.

What they really mean is they have a better chance of one out of 2
signing dotted lines after being pressurised.

They could not give a good reason why i could not come alone.
They phoned back twice as well.. just kept them on the phone as long as i could ..lol
Old 05 August 2003, 11:12 AM
Jer
Scooby Regular

I did a similar thing in Scotland. We got offered three nights in a log cabin looking over a loch somewhere in Perthshire (can't remember name). On the last day we had to sit through a hard sell for an hour. Just make it clear you have no intentions to buy and you will be okay. It was a great free holiday.
Old 05 August 2003, 11:12 AM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Corrado Boy.... yep there the ones.

Advice all taken on board....................

J