Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Renegade dealership - Warranties etc!

Search this Thread

Old 04 August 2003, 10:16 PM
damian666
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Took my bike in for a simple job - the speedo cable was broken, and was agreed by the dealer to be replaced under warranty - the bike is only a year or so old.

When I went to pick up the bike, a week after dropping it off, I noticed there were a few problems with it. It was filthy for one - any of my friends will tell you I am a stickler for a clean vehicle! For two, the wing mirrors were not attached, and the 'Gilera' badge was missing off the front.

The badge and mirrors were discovered under the seat and were fitted there and then. However! (here comes the real juicy bit)

There was a nail in the back tyre. The dealer denied that the bike had been ridden - neither of us can prove either way of course - the speedo cable was broken, and so the mileage would not increase. The bike was ridden to me at the front of the shop however from the rear - along a dirt road.

The dealer offered to split the repair of the tyre 50/50 as it was part worn - but I didnt agree - I wouldnt have replaced the tyre for another 1500 miles or so. He then agreed to replace it for free as a warranty job

However, he also told me not to go back there again - i.e. never take my bike to be serviced there etc. Only problem being, I've had some modifications fitted (i.e. larger bore/piston, air filter etc) which I know any other garage will say invalidates the warranty. The dealer had told me (in the past) that the warranty was unaffected - he didnt know () that the bore kit had been fitted etc. I now know that this is not true - only he would have covered the bike in the remaining warranty period.

Where do I stand?

Cofused in Sutton,
Damian

PS. It was the Ewell Scooter Center - they have always provided excellent (if slow) service - is this a case of caveat emptor??
Old 05 August 2003, 08:39 AM
damian666
Scooby Regular

Can anyone give me some advice before this drops off the end?

Does the dealer have to keep a 'promise' like this?

Damian
Old 05 August 2003, 10:23 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Its a difficult one. Your warranty job will probably earn the dealer £20. He had to move your bike to the front and in doing so, it got a puncture. He could have rung you and asked you to come in and move it, then you would have got the puncture and lost a few hours off work.

If the tyre was 50% worn then the dealer's offer was fair. If you would have to replace it in 1500 miles, it sounds like it was more than 50%. I would take his 50% offer and remain a customer, if he is useful to you.

If he got it dirty, he should have cleaned it.

I have a friend who owns a Kawasaki dealership. He tells customers not to come back when they try it on. He is a massive dealership and this has been built up because he is always fair and provides excellent service.

I've only ever told one customer not to come back. The owner's husband ripped into me because I had not sorted a problem with the windscreen wipers, that occured at over 130mph I did what I considered would repair the fault but was not willing to test drive the car at 130mph, in the rain, to prove it had worked. The husband thought that was "not good enough". We do still service the car now, but we only deal with the wife, who is a charming lady.
Old 05 August 2003, 11:15 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Pete my windscreen wipers don't work to well over 130MPH can you sort that for me

Cheers

Steve
Old 05 August 2003, 11:20 AM
damian666
Scooby Regular

The tyre would not have been replaced as the bike was not to be ridden!

Why does the dealer expect me to pay £30 for a cheap japlop rear tyre? I think he is having me on a bit there!

If the nail hadnt been there - the tyre would be fine, and quite legal. The nail wasnt there when I left the bike iin for the repair and is therefore not my liability!

Its like a subaru garage blowing up an engine and saying "You should pay half as its done 60,000 miles"

Damian
Old 05 August 2003, 11:46 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Damian

You missed my point. You accept that the tyre was worn, though don't say by what percentage. If it only had 1500 miles left in it, a lot more than 50%, I suspect.

I think the dealer should fit the same brand of tyre that was punctured. If you want something considerably better then it would be fair of you to contribute the difference over what his 50% will cover.

The dealer seems to be trying to sort this out and whilst it is his fault that it was punctured, he hardly did it on purpose. I am sure he will have had someone de-fodding the track to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Stand your ground, get something that you are not fully entitled too and go elsewhere, or be reasonable and keep your warranty.

Your choice mate.

Old 05 August 2003, 02:04 PM
damian666
Scooby Regular

Changing tack.

Its not the tyre - its the warranty! He is essentially saying the warranty he has given me is now invalidated, on the basis of this incident.

The tyre doesnt matter - half the cost would have no effect on me or him, I think its a principal thing for him to get some cash!

Where do I stand legally on this? B*ll*cks to him telling me to **** off - what happens if the bike explodes down the road?

Damian

[Edited by damian666 - 8/5/2003 2:09:21 PM]

[Edited by damian666 - 8/5/2003 2:20:42 PM]
Old 06 August 2003, 03:59 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

"The husband thought that was "not good enough". We do still service the car now, but we only deal with the wife, who is a charming lady."

Is that why Dave T-S never talks about his Scoobysport stuff anymore?

Jza
Old 06 August 2003, 06:23 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

I dont get it? They will give you a new tyre (and this guy has no idea if he DID puncture it or not, or if its you trying it on) and ask you to pay for what you used of the tyre. Sounds fair to me if its the same make tyre and then you dont burn your bridges on the rather important warranty...

It's nothing like them forgetting to put oil in yer engine at a 60,000 mile service! Totally different think a tyre - black and round

D