Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Correct lane when exiting a roundabout...

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2003, 12:23 PM
gareth
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Here's the scenario: you're at a roundabout which intersects a dual carriageway. You are effectively joining the dual carriageway by approaching the roundabout and taking the third exit, i.e. turning right.

My understanding would be to keep right on the way round the roundabout, then exit straight into lane 1, unless there is a slower car ahead and lane 2 is free (usually the case ).

However, I've noticed a lot of people in this scenario exit the roundabout straight into lane 2 of the DC, even though lane 1 is totally clear. We're having a bit of a debate because I think this is totally wrong, but some people I know insist it's correct.

The Highway Code is ambiguous as usual so isn't helpful (http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/17.shtml). Can anyone else help prove me right

Gareth

[Edited by gareth - 7/21/2003 12:24:19 PM]
Old 21 July 2003, 12:29 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
"Keep Left"

Says that in the Highway Code. There is no reason to exit straight onto o/side lane from roundabout if the inside is clear.

Also not necessary to use "inner" lane of r/about if outer lane is clear.

Old 21 July 2003, 12:31 PM
Witchfinder
Scooby Regular

The number of times I see people on my left pull out in front of me, and people going right around the outside lane. I wonder if anyone knows how to negotiate a roundabout properly.
Old 21 July 2003, 12:34 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

It's just plain ol' lane hogging from the sound of it. Nothing new there
Old 21 July 2003, 12:36 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

....and if some of them occasionally used indicators instead of relying on the force it would be most helpful....
Old 21 July 2003, 12:39 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

just ram them suckers!
Old 21 July 2003, 12:42 PM
gareth
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the comments.

The person I'm arguing with says that they exit into lane 2 so that they do not conflict with cars that might join from their left and then go straight over...

I had exactly this scenario at the weekend when going straight over one of these roundabouts, joining and exiting in lane 1...

Some biffer was already in the process of going round so I let him go first. He then exited into lane 2, I immediately caught him up in lane 1, and then... stalemate: he can't go fast enough to pass me and get into lane 1, and I don't want to undertake him, so it turns into a going-slow race...

G

[Edited by gareth - 7/21/2003 12:42:57 PM]
Old 21 July 2003, 12:50 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
TBH I'm more on the look out for the cars doing a right hand turn on the roundabout and staying in the outer part of the roundabout, cutting across two exits in the process.
Old 21 July 2003, 12:56 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Sorry, forgot, to answer your question, in your scenario I'd exit into lane 2, then if lane 1 is clear move across. This to me means people approaching the roundabout from the opposite direction to you but wanting the same exit (as in first left for them) can join using lane 1 and you wouldn't impead them if you both arrived at the exit at the same time.
Old 21 July 2003, 12:59 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

they should just paint arrows for all the sad people who have forgotten how to drive.
Old 21 July 2003, 01:01 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Wink

But doesn't it all depend on the size and shape of the roundabout and where the best racing line is...?
Old 21 July 2003, 01:12 PM
gareth
Scooby Regular

Jay - that's exactly the argument being put to me.

But, to me it seems like if there's a simple global system of giving way to the right then nobody should need to routinely make concessions for traffic merging from the left.

It's like when someone unexpectedly slows to let somebody out at a junction and then gets rear-ended: the system's there for a reason.

G
Old 21 July 2003, 01:16 PM
T.C
Scooby Regular

The normal rule for a three exit roundabout is when intending to exit the roundabout at 12'O Clock or pre 12 then the left hand should be used, for any exit beyond 12' O clock then the right hand lane should be used, unless of course road markings dictate otherwise.

In the case of a three lane entry and two lane exit, then the middle lane may be used to exit at 12'O Clock providing it is a dual onthe exit side in which case the standard rules apply.
Old 21 July 2003, 01:18 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

The J6 roundabout on the M5 has just had lanes painted on it, to "HELP" people use it.

HAH!

I want to near enough come back on myself on this thing, so I used to indicate right, then keep to the right around 1/2 of the roundabout. Then cancel indication, now indicate left and then carefully move to the left, ready to exit...

Now, however... I'm expected to follow the new lane around the large roundabout, that has me in the left all the way around?!?!?! Madness...Seems to be causing more near misses and aggro.
Old 21 July 2003, 01:19 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

whenever I approach a roundabout I usually keep to the same lane until I've cleared it. Then if I'm in the outside lane and the inside lane is then clear, I move over. I find changing lanes during the negotiation of a roundabout almost suicidal. There are some roundabouts (in my experience definately in the Peterborough area) that are roadlined to make you move across into another lane whilst going round the roundabout, these are ok because the markings are quite clear for everyone to follow.
Old 21 July 2003, 01:19 PM
gareth
Scooby Regular

Thanks T.C., but the dispute isn't over which lane to use joining/on the roundabout, but which lane you should join on the exit when it's a dual carriageway.

G
Old 21 July 2003, 01:23 PM
T.C
Scooby Regular

The left hand lane which is the normal driving lane, the right hand lane is simply an overtaking lane.
Old 21 July 2003, 01:33 PM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

you should be using both lanes of the roundabout!!

the front wheels in the inside lane, and the rear wheels on the outside.

in an arabic drifting stylee...

BB
Old 21 July 2003, 02:25 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Gareth, true, in that situation I needent make concessions to traffic on the left, but then again I can't guarentee that they will concede to me, so being further away from them (and being more able to take evasive action) is a good thing, and IMO I can choose to take lane 1 or 2 depending on my position and the position of others on the roundabout. Either option is fine AFAIC
Old 21 July 2003, 02:59 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Apparition has got it right

Les
Old 21 July 2003, 03:26 PM
Dan B
Scooby Regular

cough
Old 21 July 2003, 05:09 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Aww thanks Les .
Old 21 July 2003, 08:24 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Surprised this needs asking.

Apparition is correct.

When you are turning right on the roundabout you are positioned hugging the kerb, more often than not you have somebody who has joined the roundabout from the left of your original starting position so they are just "underneath" you.

You maintain your line until it's clear to move over to the left but you would need to exit in lane 2 initially increasing your speed as you do it.

Moving straight over to lane 1 is a dicey affair.

Old 21 July 2003, 09:25 PM
skiddus_markus
Scooby Regular

If it was empty I'd exit in lane 1,but usually exit in lane 2.This way,people can get on the roundabout easier to my left and it's a smoother exit for me off the roundabout.
I hate it when I'm in lane 1 on the roundabout and the numptie in lane 2 cuts across and exits onto lane 1 without even looking/caring.
Old 22 July 2003, 10:22 AM
gareth
Scooby Regular

I'm surprised by the amount of support on this thread for exiting into lane 2 by default... explains why I see plenty of people doing it. Starting to doubt myself now

I know there's a few traffic officers on Scoobynet so a comment from that direction would really help. Also, if anyone owns up to being an IAM member ...
Old 22 July 2003, 10:32 AM
T.C
Scooby Regular

Well I am no longer a serving traffic officer, but I did do 20 years on the department before I retired on health grounds, and I am a senior advanced riding/driving examiner for RoSPA and a former IAM examiner, and I am currently a full time accident investigator for a law firm so I have dealt with these matters in an enforcement capacity, civil law capacity and as a test feature, so if it counts for anything here is my two penny worth.

I have already explained the correct lane procedure. From an enforcement point of view, if someone is exiting a roundabout where there is one lane on the exit and they have used the right hand lane, then they are open to prosecution for driving without due care and attention.

From a civil law point of view, if an accident occured because of the above scenario, then that driver would be held fully liable.

From an advanced test point of view, a candidate would be possibly failed depending on whether it was a regular habbit or fault, and whether any other road user was put in danger. Certainly on the RoSPA test which is graded, they would drop a grade.

Where there are two lanes on the exit, whether or not the driver would be prosecuted or held liable after an accident would be dependant on all the facts available at the time.

Dual Carriageway to Dual Carriageway using the right hand lane would be perfectly acceptable, the issue only really arises when there is one lane only onthe exit side.
Old 22 July 2003, 11:00 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

USE LANE 1 you Muppets [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Living in Milton Keynes the home of the round-a-bout I see people exit into lane 2 a couple of times a week.

Note#1 if yer turning right you hug the centre of the roundabout until yer coming to yer exit and then move left and exit in lane #1 - this is also the fastest way round (legally)

Note#2 if you exit lane 2 'cos you think maybe there is someone on the inside - you shouldn't be driving - ever heard of "spacial awareness"?? You should know who's on the RB' with you.

Note#3 If someone does "arrive" in that space, run them off the road - if people don't know it's wrong, they never learn.

All the above subject to golden rule#1 "yup I can driv better than anyone else"

[Edited by what would scooby do - 7/22/2003 11:01:15 AM]

[Edited by what would scooby do - 7/22/2003 11:08:46 AM]