Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

living abroad

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2003, 11:12 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im fast getting fukced off with living in Britain...
All the moaning and ignorance and arrogance (and northerners)and **** parking etc etc etc

any suggestions for a cool place to live..
was thinking northern france for convenience but willing to entertain further distances...

Im a civil Engineer so would need to work in the same industry abroad..

Peanuts....
Old 21 July 2003, 11:16 AM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

we are seriously thinking of france to better weather nicer people government listens sometimes if not farmers truckers make them listen sounds groovy!
Old 21 July 2003, 11:19 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
I moved to the south west of France recently and the difference is marked. No problem with crime, streets are clean and the people are unfailingly friendly and helpfull. The only drawbacks so far are the blistering heat (reached 40 degrees on a couple of occasions)and my poor French which seems to improve very slowly.

Property is dirt cheap- I switched from a 2 bed flat in Brighton to a palacial 5 bed apartment overlooking the Chateau and mountains and also pocketed nearly 100K.

I never want to come back to the UK-it's a dirty, crime ridden hole full of aggressive, unfriendly folk.

As a side note I was stopped by a laser gun toting cop on a dual carriageway doing 125kph (70kph limit). He gave me a 90€ fine and didn't even bother with a lecture. Bargain. Imagine if that had been in the UK, at least 3 points probably more as well as a fine. The roads are also empty compared to Britain.

Vive La France!
Old 21 July 2003, 11:22 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

NACRO, please mail me if you dont mind with a brief precis(?) of how you went about finding a place, how much it was and how the move went cos I am gonna put this up as dinner talk soon, we discussed it and Im gonna bring it up again, the topic not dinner...

cheers

Andy@cbr600.org.uk
Old 21 July 2003, 11:30 AM
Witchfinder
Scooby Regular

and northerners
Good riddance, you southern nonce
Old 21 July 2003, 11:35 AM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

were on our way !
Old 21 July 2003, 11:41 AM
wrxstian
Scooby Regular

My old man is moving to Spain next month and would seriously consider going there myself, if it weren't for the fact i have 2 kids.
Old 21 July 2003, 11:42 AM
Aintbroke dontfix
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Don't blame you mate, I'm looking v-seriously at doing the same. Looking at North Eastern Spain. This country is now not a viable propersition for a single 30 year old home owner on an average wage. We get ripped off in tax, pay NI with the knowledge that no pension or NHS will exist when we need it, expensive ****, booze, food, petrol, insurance. All this to live in a country where every scrounger has a better standard of living than you do and if you have saved your hard taxed money to buy a nice car, you have to carry a baseball bat to keep it. I know the saying the grass is always greener, but when your grass is shxt brown & theirs is luminous green its hard not to justify. This Country should be left to all the scrounges & do gooders who think we should all travel by stinking buses which stop at nine o'clock.
Ouch, I just twisted my ankle falling off my soap box.
Before I go though, I'll have to fit a water spray, as it gets blxxdy hot down there.
It must be a Monday morning thing!!
Old 21 July 2003, 12:24 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

As a 'bloody foreigner' living in the UK, I think I have the right to shove my subjective opinions down your throats, so here goes:

I used to live in a small town in Sweden up until two years ago, and then I moved to London to work for the same company I was working for in Sweden.

In my opinion, there is one huge problem in this country. It is that no one cares! This leads to the demise of society, and a lot of social problems (e.g. car crime).

Tony Blair should resign, because no one trusts the government anymore, especially not now that it's been shown that they are lying *******s (e.g. 45 mins for Saddam to launch an attack on Britain) (really just *another* blow to the publics trust).

I seriously think that this country needs a new leadership. Bad management is the root of all the problems this country is seeing at the moment.

Having said what I said above, I'd still rather stay here than move back to Sweden, because I still like Britain.

Old 21 July 2003, 12:28 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

you like britain!
your just on your honeymoon it is getting worse all the time and you are right NOBODY cares and i for one have gave up
Old 21 July 2003, 12:47 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

If you're in the South East, I can understand your sentiments. It's sh1te.

Go north, or get out of England, IIWY.

[Edited by MarkO - 7/21/2003 1:03:56 PM]
Old 21 July 2003, 12:56 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

scotlands no better people used to be friendly now they are just too busy to care although some areas are still nice.

where i stay people are so sad with there crap

thats my parking space not designated i may add

thats my bin

dont stand near my wall

dont look at me or i will get the polis ! etc etc etc

ok rant over britain is lovely!
Old 21 July 2003, 12:59 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

New Zealand?
Old 21 July 2003, 01:04 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

Old 21 July 2003, 01:22 PM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Japan...countryside if possible you'll find all hapiness you ever need, no arrogance, no picky people no idnividuals wanting to shof off their ego....the perfect place to be, if you still care about human values, that is
Old 21 July 2003, 02:53 PM
Luke
BANNED

Henrik

You got it in one..... No one cares in this country. Its full of loosers on drugs and the dole. I am 1/2 way out of this country and even though I want to love it ...I cant.

Its one big manky council estate.
Old 21 July 2003, 04:30 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

thanks for the mail...
Old 21 July 2003, 05:51 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I went north, very north, to Canada Apart from some initial headaches, mainly due to them not accepting direct transfer of Driving Licenses, and totally ignoring driving history and no claims history (I'm treated as a 17 yr old who has never driven, thus no experience and no claims, instead of a 29 yr old with 11 years driving experience, and 7 years no claims!), it's been great. Visa obtained in under 30 mins, but that was due to me being part of a Intra-company transfer.

It's not as cheap as you think it is, but a 2.21 exchange rate is ok, and the quality of life for me is way better. I'm renting a fantastic little appt down on the shore of lake ontario, and to get something anywhere near that in the UK would be at least 1000 per month if not more, and I'm paying, oooh, about 650 all in, and that includes leccy, water, air con, all I pay for is Cable and Phone, which are both cheap.

The people are friendly and I really do like it, and to be honest, I might not come back to the UK, depends. I'm going to stay at least three years, then decide.

The only thing that annoys me is the driving, it's appalling, you thought tailgating over here was bad, jeez! try over there, no-one lets you in, then right up ur ***, no indication, and they drive at very low speeds. 120 looks quick until you realise it's KPH not MPH! Was thinking of getting a scooby, as fuel is silly cheap over here, but not so sure, can't even stretch it's legs a little on the freeways, would have to track it a lot, which is not an entirley bad thing.

All in all, I think I've made a big, but totally worthwhile decision to move out of the UK, yes I miss ol blighty, but from the perspective of a petrolhead, the UK is becoming a hive of hatred against the motorist, and I'm not standing for that, and no offence but I can't see the ABD doing much to change it.
Old 21 July 2003, 06:08 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Thing is, if you dare to care and express it you are instantly branded as 'extreme right wing' or a 'racist' or whatever PC brigade label is handiest.

I wonder who the true facists are in this country sometimes

UB

Old 22 July 2003, 12:35 AM
gareth123
Scooby Regular

I know the saying the grass is always greener, but when your grass is shxt brown & theirs is luminous green its hard not to justify.
Well the grass is shxt brown here because it's 95

I've been back to the U.K. once (for two days) in the last 18 months. No plans to be there at all this year. Feels cramped and dingy, I suggest getting out if you can, good experience even if you find you miss the place and want to go back.
Old 22 July 2003, 02:11 AM
Alpine99
Scooby Regular

gareth, I'm in the process of lining myself up with a job in CA.. What's the standard of living like, state taxes, etc? Any info would be appreciated mail me off-line if you prefer.. cheers
Old 22 July 2003, 04:03 AM
gareth123
Scooby Regular

YGM.
Old 22 July 2003, 05:14 AM
letdown
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well Ive been living in Tokyo for over 3 years now.......will I ever come back and live in the UK? No fecking way. It will always be my birth place and my real home.....but to be honest its a sh1te hole these days. Sure you miss some things, but I read the UK news on the WWW and cant believe some of the things that go on. And that Dr guy who killed himself...WTF !! all v v sad.
Japan is a great place to live, the most noticable thing is peoples attitudes to us(foreigners). An example......I can walk into any KFC, MC'Ds or any shop ...ask for what I like in English.....normally they wont have a clue what you said BUT they will work it out and be helpfull. Can you imagine that happening at youre local KFC?? Would spotty oik help the Japanese man! Would he hell...probably get belted by some ****** at the back of the queue. Litter? What Litter you just dont get it in Tokyo....people put it in the bin.There is just a level of respect across the board.
Whenever I fly back to the UK I get all excited about a week before...for the 12 hours flying Im bouncing up and down on my seat.....within 20mins of touchdown...Heathrow Terminal 4.....Im already looking forward to getting back here. Sad but true.........and I still pay UK tax !!!! Arrghhhhhhh , well a little bit !
Old 22 July 2003, 06:52 AM
image doctor
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I live right on the edge of a big town, just by the county boundary.

I go for walks in the woods - and people say good evening/hello

I fish and walk by the canal - people stop and talk, or just say hello.

England is a nice place to live, just get out of your big towns cities and live in the countryside, its only often 4 or 5 miles away!

Rolling coutry side, farms, animals, country pubs, nice walks.........ahhhhh.
Old 22 July 2003, 07:43 AM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

letdown, what a lucky person you are....but then again I observed in the last ten years that Tokyo too is not the place it was back then....too many illegal foreigners there selling their ****e to young locals.
It's about time the police cleans up the place.

Old 22 July 2003, 08:06 AM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Letdown literally, get it changed from UK tax; I was over there many years ago paying 5%..............I still belive tax is the same....

Old 22 July 2003, 08:20 AM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Yup tax is still 5%, although not sure if paying tax was the issue here or was it....?
Old 22 July 2003, 08:33 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

ID, would love to, the scene sounds idillic, unfortunately Ive only got about 150k, and that donbt buy you sheeeeet out in the sticks....
Old 22 July 2003, 08:37 AM
Scooby Regular

Thing is, if you dare to care and express it you are instantly branded as 'extreme right wing' or a 'racist' or whatever PC brigade label is handiest.
I'd quite like to leave the UK and get away from the Daily Mail readers who are obsessed with immigration and xenophobia. Acording to the media, you can't travel a mile without being robbed and raped, there are millions of asylum seekers everywhere, and the NHS doesn't work because taxes are too high.

A slight problem - services are terrible because we're not prepared to pay for them,crime is falling, and there never was a golden age where Dixon of Dock Green patrolled the streets.But everyone who wants a good health or education service ends up paying twice, because private is the only guarantee of service. Exactly how nuts is that?

I'm entirely serious, by the way - all countries have their nationalistic element, but Britain has to be one of the worst I've seen. I'm sick of the racism, the intolerance, and the media lies.

So I wouldn't leave Britain because of the asylum seekers or due to the appalling services, but becasue of the indigenous Brits who blame everyone but themselves for the state of the country.
Old 22 July 2003, 08:50 AM
image doctor
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Peanuts: 150k would buy you a place in the Midlands.

Quick Reply: living abroad