Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

I want to move to France, know any good sites on the idea?

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2003, 11:39 AM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want to either work in what i do now (printing newspapers) or start a B&B in southern france, ive tried searching for sites on jobs and living abroad etc but cant find anything useful, do you know any good sites?

Cheers
Old 08 July 2003, 01:00 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
I moved here recently and the property is so cheap I've gone from a 2 bed flat in Brighton to a "character" 6 bed apartment with terrace overlooking the mountains and chateau and pocketed over 100K to boot.

I would strongly advise learning as much French as possible (unless you already speak it)before arriving unlike most folk that come here. Otherwise you are just setting yourself up to fail. It will also show commitment on your part.

The actual practicalities are pretty straightforward- the key is learning the lingo.

Another point is that the job market is pretty good here if you have the right skills. I took on a part time IT job (not my usual field) and am getting 50€ an hour, in the UK I would be lucky to get £20 for the same job.
Old 08 July 2003, 01:23 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

You say you took a job in IT, what exactly does your job consist of, i'm pretty good with computers but not programming languages.
Old 08 July 2003, 01:26 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
I'm working for an oil company doing UNIX support- 20 hrs a week.

If you have any commercial IT experience you should find it easy to get a job- assuming your French is up to the job as none of them speak English!
Old 08 July 2003, 02:00 PM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

Question

NACRO,

I've been thinking of doing the same.
Primarily a Business/ Systems Analyst, is there much call for my lot across the channel ?

T
Old 08 July 2003, 02:20 PM
NACRO
BANNED

The best bet for Systems analyst is to get a job with a UK company/job in the UK then transfer. I'm not sure how the contract market is here for that- only the techie stuff.

Also I'd imagine that most of the work will be in the north nr Paris. Having lived there I would never do it again- the city is a sh*thole!
Old 08 July 2003, 02:33 PM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

I'd prefer to live in the country, sipping on red wine, scoffing fresh food and olive oil in the sunshine !
Old 08 July 2003, 02:54 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Sounds like what I'm doing!

Seriously life is much, much better here in the south of France than that in the SE of England was for me. Less crime (almost no car crime in the town I live in), better pay, less hours, friendlier people, better weather (it's 30 degrees today and sunny)and of course better food and wine.

Old 07 August 2003, 12:41 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

www.livingfrance.com
click on "Members", (you may have to register), scroll down the page, and click on "La Mairie". It's a forum like this, with LOADS of advice etc, and a pretty good search function.

I'm on it, and my username is still Alcazar!

Alcazar

Edited to say: I've a school friend who went last year. She and hubby sold up, bought a couple of old places, did 'em up, live in one, and rent the other. They're now doing up a third. The first's in Agde. She says they're turning bookings away from day 1!!

[Edited by alcazar - 7/8/2003 12:43:47 PM]