Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Possible visit to New Zealand... Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2003, 10:36 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Guys, I'm getting thoroughly disenchanted with the UK, and have been having thoughts of a life elsewhere...

New Zealand appeals, with both my wife and I appreciating rolling green countryside, mountains, etc. (She's Welsh, after all ).

So - We're thinking of a trip to see what we think.

Any Kiwi nationals/ex-pats/previous visitors wanna share their experiences and give us some advice on what to see, where to go, etc?

Regards,
Squizz.
Old 08 July 2003, 10:36 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

...And where we can hire a scoob as transport?!!!!
Old 08 July 2003, 11:13 AM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

Ok, some must-sees on a trip to NZ, in no particular order:
Queenstown - home of the adrenaline junkie. Everything to do including bungee, jet boating, sky dives, paragliding, you name it.
Doubtful Sound - the most beautiful spot on this planet.
Auckland - nice city and if you are considering emigrating you need to see what the biggest and most cosmopolitan place can offer you.
Mount Cook
Rotorua - stinks and is not the most beautiful place, but worth 2 or 3 days to see the thermal stuff.
Dunedin - nice lively town. Pay a visit to albatross colony at Taiaroa Head.
Basically all of the South Island as this is where the spectacular scenery is. Hire a car (cant help you with the scooby I'm afraid!) and travel around. But give yourself plenty of time. The South Island isnt huge but it has a bloody great range of mountains down the middle.
If you are into walking, consider doing one of the Great Walks (Milford, Kepler, Routeburn etc). I did the Milford earlier this year and it is correctly called "the finest walk in the world". Its not particularly hard but beautiful scenery.

There is tons more but it depends what you are after. If you have any questions let me know. NZ is a great place to visit. Only you will be able to tell whether you could live there. When are you intending to go?

Steve
Old 08 July 2003, 11:20 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Thanks Steve.

We're investigating "When"... Possibly September this year or May next year. This'll help find decent weather and avoid holiday high-season and school holidays (hopefully).

I'm trying to read the "Rough Guide to New Zealand", but it's MASSIVE!

At least they have decent cars over there... as well as Hobbits
Old 08 July 2003, 11:41 AM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

September or May - prepare to get wet. VERY WET!!! Particularly on the South Island. But, this is not a bad thing - the scenery is probably more spectacular as there are waterfalls everywhere.
You are right that the summer months are busy, but perhaps not as bad as the guides make out. The last couple of times I have been over there have been in January. This is peak time as all the schools are on holiday. Even then it isnt too bad. If you want to avoid the crowds but still see some decent weather March is a good compomise.
I forgot one absolute must see in the list above - Kaikoura. Its a very small place consisting of just one main street but this is the place for whale watching, dolphin swimming etc. Tours get very booked up at peak times so you do need to book ahead. Also give yourself an extra couple of days as the tours are off if weather is bad.

Not sure you'll see too many hobbits over there as they are elusive creatures! Certinaly no shortage of EVOs, STIs etc. Not sure where you can rent something like that but for normal car rental you can try www.maui.co.nz

Steve
Old 08 July 2003, 11:45 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Bay Of Islands is too
Old 08 July 2003, 11:46 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Talking

One big tip when you go to NZ. STAY THERE !!!!!!!

Check this
Old 08 July 2003, 11:53 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks corradoboy, That's the same advice I've received from someone I know who went there for a month and has been desperate to go back ever since.

I've always driven through various parts of the UK and if the area looked a bit rough I thought - "If I lived there, I'd make sure I moved". Well, I reckon the whole UK is going down the tubes and I'm not waiting to let it fall down around me...!
Old 08 July 2003, 12:36 PM
555-Shaggy
Scooby Regular

Squizz, If you get any information that is really really helpful, let me know.. My girlie and I were discussing this last week (for the second time) and it now seems like a serious option for us too.. we are thinking about going in February for a visit and check it all out.. only chose Feb cos it's kayaking season down there and I can kill two birds etc etc..
Old 08 July 2003, 12:42 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Lovely part of the world. You won't want to come back believe me.

Les
Old 08 July 2003, 01:45 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

top place - go to Rotorua just for that smell. funny, even when you are 5-10 miles away you can smell it, we laughed for hours, but the next day you are almost used to it!
Old 08 July 2003, 02:08 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Ok guys, all info assimilated...

Of course, the one problem I do have is that this isn't my decision alone... My wife will have to agree, but she's currently at least keen to visit NZ. - Despite being afraid of flying. Kill or cure!
Old 07 August 2003, 01:11 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Talking

It's a really nice place. I used to live there, & I'm trying to find an excuse to get there again. Although it's 13 years since I've been, I can recommend places like Akaroa (S Is) - I went there on holiday when we lived there, £ it has all kinds of things; hot springs etc, and we went sking down there as well, which was nice.
Wellington is a good place, although it may have changed, as I haven't lived there in quite a while.
Go there...but you may not come back!

One thing - don't bother going for less than about a month, as I wouldn't think it's worth it, being so far away & all that.

[Edited by Franx - 7/8/2003 1:12:46 PM]