Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Freeview channels on Sky Digibox

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2003, 10:35 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Last night whilst watching Channel 4 a banner kept popping up on the screen asking me to call a number because the channel I was watching will cease to be available soon! I have a sky digibox and a BBC FV card, what is all this about? does it mean I will no longer get the FV channels on my Skybox? if this is the case I am not a happy chap as I live in Germany. Short of calling this number does anyone know what is going to happen. I bought my box off ebay and the card came with it so it is not in my name or anything so if I phone the number and they ask me who I am I will not be able to give them the right info because I don't know who the card is registered to.
Old 07 July 2003, 12:15 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like they've cottoned on that you're not in the UK! Get hold of someone with a TV Licence to phone the Beeb and get hold of another FTV card for you. Tell them to say they got the box second hand. They will ask for all the details eg. box serial number etc.

They can even be an exisiting Sky subscriber, just say it's for a second box if anyone asks.
Old 07 July 2003, 12:48 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Free to view cards are no longer being issued!

I guess from your description you have an old style card with the SKY logo on it?

The BBC will go clear on July 10th as they have ended their deal with sky. Their trasmissions will be going onto ASTRA 2D meaning many folk not in the UK will be unable to receive their broadcasts.
If you can get them now you should be OK as far as the BBC goes. When your card is deactiviated you will no longer receive CH4, ITV, CH5 and you will have to take out a sky subscription to get another viewing card.

Basically the situation is unclear at the moment but when the card is switched off that will be it for the time being as far as ITV channels go (unless you want to pay sky some money).

My suggestion is to learn to live with just the BBC channels and **** rupert murdoch and his robbing sky w*nkers

If you want any more info look here http://www.satellites.co.uk/
Old 07 July 2003, 12:56 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

Thanks Nacro, and yes I do have a sky logo on my card.

So basically on July 10th ALL the channels I get currently will be switched off, including TCM and motors etc am I right?

So my sky digibox will be useless.

Oh well back to crappy german crappy telly.
Old 07 July 2003, 01:05 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Smile

No you'll still get motors as it's free to air as is TCM etc. The BBC will go clear so you'll probably still get that assuming you can get ASTRA 2D (from your description I think you can). The only thing you will lose when sky turn off the old viewing cards/move to new encryption will be CH4, CH5, ITV- I expect this to be a few weeks after the 10th.

Of course you can always pay sky some money- but personally I'd rather drive a nail through one of my ********* than pay money to them!

edited to add: if you call them make sure you do it from an English reg'd mobile or that you can withhold your number as they check to see if you are ringing from the UK

[Edited by NACRO - 7/7/2003 1:06:27 PM]
Old 07 July 2003, 01:12 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

Cheers Nacro