Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Aberdeen - whats it like?

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2003, 01:18 PM
P1_scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The company I currently work for at the moment - currently based in london, will be moving offices to aberdeen, sometime next year....

Anyone have any comments on whats it like to work/live in aberdeen?
Anyone moved from london(or elsewhere) to aberdeen and loved/regretted it?

cheers for any info..

t|n
Old 04 July 2003, 01:20 PM
Andy486
Scooby Regular

Quite expensive apparently. Traffic also an absolute nightmare.
Old 04 July 2003, 01:22 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Aberdeen:
Where the men are man and the sheep are frightened

Old 04 July 2003, 01:26 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

remote - I moved to Glasgow from Mancheester and I feel a bit cut off (sod all direct flights to anywhere exciting). A colleague who moved from Leeds to Aberdeen cannot believe how remote they are up there - add two days travelling to future foreign holidays!
Old 04 July 2003, 01:43 PM
New To Scoob
Scooby Regular

P1, I was living in Aberdeen for a while there, it isn't too bad honestly. I was renting in the town center for £615 a month, the traveling all depends on where your work is going to have their offices, if it's Dyce the road there and back is terrible at peak times. The weather is typically scottish "WET & COLD" so remember your winter woolies for winter, theres plenty of pubs/clubs in the town center and theres the stuff down at the beach.
Old 04 July 2003, 01:48 PM
P1_scooby
Scooby Regular

cheers guys,

is the traffic really that bad?? company is "Total" based in Altens..slimming down workforce/cutting costs etc..etc hence

One positive thing would be that I'd get to drive to work everyday (hopefully)..

How about schools etc?? have to think about the future

anyone got any good web links?.. tried a google search, but only came up with the local council site

cheers

t|n
Old 04 July 2003, 04:45 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

It's a bit small, and if there aren't enough participants, the battle is a bit predictable. Still a good one for snipers.

Ah. Erm. You're not talking about BF1942 are you?
Old 04 July 2003, 05:30 PM
Carlos The Jackel
Scooby Regular

Cool

They are loading the place with speed cameras at the moment and traffic is quite bad. About 210,000 people live there but it is cold. I stay along the coast in Inverness and Aberdeen always feels like Siberia to me Mainly the Breeze/Wind off the North Sea. There are a few from Aberdeen on here so im sure one of them will give you the full monte on it!
Old 04 July 2003, 07:41 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

I was a student there for 3 years. Basically the place is a sh*thole, but then again I have been to worse ones. Back in 1992 (when I was there) the pelican club was a real gas - became legendary and therefore probably no longer exists. It is a town where you can drink every night of the week until at least 2 in the morning - and believe me, I did.

Old 04 July 2003, 08:48 PM
cletterridge
Scooby Regular

Because of all the oil workers, Aberdeen has hundreds of men to every woman. Really obvious on a Friday night out! My mate complains about it on a daily basis....
Old 04 July 2003, 09:07 PM
DaveMiddleton
Scooby Regular

I am born and bred Aberdeen for my sins. If you want to e mail me I will give you my tel no if you want an overview.
Old 04 July 2003, 10:32 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

add two days travelling to future foreign holidays!
Hardly. Good air links to Amsterdam and LHR/Gatwick, with the Rosyth-Zeebrugge ferry two hours away by car.

I was renting in the town center for £615 a month, the traveling all depends on where your work is going to have their offices, if it's Dyce the road there and back is terrible at peak times.
£615pm is expensive for a flat. A good one bed flat will be about £400 a month or about £80K/£90K. A house out of town in one of the newer estates will be about £100K-£120K. Dyce traffic is not great.

The weather is typically scottish "WET & COLD" so remember your winter woolies for winter
Cold yes. Wet no. All the weather comes in off the Atlantic, rains on the west coast and is clear by the time it comes to us.

is the traffic really that bad?? company is "Total" based in Altens
Get somewhere on the south side of town, or alternatively Banchory (Numptie is near there) and get an excellent blast into work each morning. I worked around the corner from Total for about six months and the only real trouble was the evening rush hour. Would take about 15mins to leave the industrial estate, which isn't too bad really.

How about schools etc?? have to think about the future
My missus is a primary school teacher and reckons the Scottish system is in general better than the English system.

anyone got any good web links?.. tried a google search, but only came up with the local council site
Try the Aberdeen Property Centre's website for property. Also the local paper(s) have their website at which is worth a look

Drop us a line if you need any more.
Old 05 July 2003, 06:54 PM
New To Scoob
Scooby Regular

Miles, I wasn't bothering about the cost too much the work were picking up the tabs , that was for a two bedroom top floor flat at the Gallowgate. I've been over to Altens a few times and didn't find the traffic at that end too bad, bugger just remembered have to go to Altens on wednesday for a course