Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

GET OUT THE MIDDLE LANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2003, 07:07 PM
sulli
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drove to and from Lake district this weekend, and it never fails to amaze me how many retards sit in the middle lane for no reason at all, except they are lazy ****e drivers.

Well, take note all those retards (no scoobs though ) that every time I see you do it, I make a point of undertaking you at speed, even if the fast lane is empty, just to illustrate the fact that you are a prat. no wonder the motorways are so congested, they wouldn't be half as bad if people used a little bit of road-craft.

Can't believe how busy the M6 was this weekend! Anyone on it? - saw a white WRX Sti a few times in the traffic - from Coventry to just past Brum, 30 miles, took us 3 hours, and we left at 3!!!!!
Old 29 June 2003, 07:12 PM
Phil M
Scooby Regular

Dont think they are lazy, just more they don't av a fing clue how to drive.. I think there should be a compulsary theory test every 2 years for all drivers, its dead easy for the people who know and who it bothers and it should get these ***** off the road.. ban them for a month if they fail...
Old 29 June 2003, 07:12 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

fully agree

I am actualy waiting for PC Plod to pull me over for under taking, cos I will want to know why they have not pulled the lane hogger as well.

The wife of a mate says she does it cos it saves her from swerving all over the raod when she want to over take something

Old 29 June 2003, 07:17 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Lightbulb

saw a great idea on here for sorting these morons out legally-

Play piggy in the middle with them

Overtake them in lane 3 then pull back in to lane 2 (I like to do this fairly close to them so they notice) then back in to Lane 1 let them re-overtake you. Then repeat the whole process until they notice and move their sorry asses back into lane 1. I've managed 11 circuits of one particularly stubborn lane hog until he got the message.
Old 29 June 2003, 07:23 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i just under take them

**** them all, thats what i rekon lol
Old 29 June 2003, 07:25 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
an old work colleague of mine undertook a lane hogger once, just so happened to be a magistrate

he got banned for dangerous driving

Old 29 June 2003, 08:49 PM
KKZ3264
Scooby Regular

worse than that i went to belgium today and all them ******* drive on the wrong side

was so dangerous
Old 29 June 2003, 08:56 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

I find the most effective way to get people's attention without being aggressive is to put on dipped-beam headlights and move slightly to the right of the car you are following. It doesn't take long for them to get the message.

Gary.
Old 29 June 2003, 08:57 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Just come up behind them and flash them out of the way , normally works on the M3 where the inside lane is deserted.

Its damned annoying how poorly most people drive clogging up the roads.

AllanB
Old 29 June 2003, 08:59 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

AllanB most effective when you are driving a Beemer, dont they have sensors at the front now, which automatically flash the headlights once they are inches from your rear bumper

Old 29 June 2003, 09:03 PM
hypoluxa
Scooby Regular

LMAO @ KKZ3264
Old 29 June 2003, 09:12 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
saw quite a few myself today

I prefer to signal to overtake, doing so quite closely, overtaking, then signal left and make a sweeping(but safe) pull into the left lane - thus emphasising what I am doing - and quite often people do get it and pull in

Old 29 June 2003, 09:17 PM
sulli
Scooby Regular

Overtake them in lane 3 then pull back in to lane 2 (I like to do this fairly close to them so they notice) then back in to Lane 1 let them re-overtake you. Then repeat the whole process until they notice and move their sorry asses back into lane 1. I've managed 11 circuits of one particularly stubborn lane hog until he got the message.
Used to be my response, now I just undertake them and shake my head - though more often than not they are too engrossed in stooping right over the wheel like an old granny, trying to keep going in a straight line, to notice other road users!

Another gripe on motorways, is when you leave a nice safe braking distance, and every man and his dog feels they must sneak into it, like you are letting them out. You then have to back off more, to create another safe space, and the same happens again, and again, and again......... You almost understand the tailgaters, at least they don't get this.
Old 29 June 2003, 11:08 PM
scooby_jim
Scooby Regular

Talking

LOL @ Sonic, very subtle but funny!

Jim
Old 29 June 2003, 11:17 PM
Benji Lad
Scooby Regular

Some pointers for the highway agency:
i) educate these people to use the left lane
(No need to widen dual carriageways because of 'congestion'. Most 'congestion' is the fact that the three lane motorway is essentially reduced to two lanes because of someone insisting on doing 69 in the middle lane.)

ii) Make it illegal for lorries to overtake each other (usually with a 2mph speed differential) during peak times on m/ways and dual carriageways.
(Smooths the flow of traffic (believe this applies in some areas of Germany?).)

I accept that sometimes it is sheer weight of traffic that causes congestion, but a lot of the time its just issues as raised above...
Old 30 June 2003, 12:54 AM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Dont lorries have a giant magnet at the front that pulls them to within an inch of other lorries

Why is it a lot of lorry drivers do this, instant death if you ask me

Old 30 June 2003, 07:22 AM
jasabz
Scooby Regular

Angry

This is obviously a wind up after STI21 `s post yes???
All the above mentioned methods have just confirmed everything i ever thought about the majority of scooby drivers!!!
The crowning turd in the waterpipe had to be ,"even if the outside lane is empty i undertake"...pure class mate, well done, what an ar*ehole!!
Get a grip, the lot of you. Yes, middle lane hoggers are a subject that annoys most of us but your response to this is even worse "11 ccts etc" , this is what happens when you make a reasonable priced, fairly powerful car available to the masses , start to think you are all colin Macrae or something abd that your driving is the best ever etc!
I am telling you, the scooby cars rep suffers every time you do something senseles like this .
Old 30 June 2003, 08:47 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Doing circuits of the lane hog is perfectly legal, therefore I do it in order to make a point. If that makes me irresponsible or worse, what does that make the lane hog Mr Troll?
Old 30 June 2003, 08:59 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Does it really matter????? yes it is annoying but why don't you just overtake them using the correct lane and forget about them??? they are not actually causing you any problem or hindering your passage so let them get on with it, the slow lane is usaully empty because it is crap and rutted due to trucks, and I am sure you only want to drive you precious scoobs on a flat road surface don't you? I mean you wouldn't expect a rally car to have to cope with ruts and uneven road surfaces would you?? Your just winding yourselves up over nothing if you think about it.
Old 30 June 2003, 09:06 AM
JoeRST
Scooby Regular

Jasabz, WTF has it got to do with scooby drivers and their cars making them feel like Colin Mcrae, the point being made is that people sit in the middle lane and are totaly oblivious to anything else going on around them.

I dont drive a scoob and I get just as wound up by these people who just have no idea of how to drive.
I went to Royston to see a friend at the weekend and on the a1 on the way back nearly everybody I passed was hogging the middle lane, now when im in lane 1 I dont want to have to move to lane 3 then back to lane 1 just coz some ******* cant drive.......that in my mind is more dangerous then just maintaining a safe speed and undertaking..Yes/No?

The thing that makes me laff the most is that the people who you just undertook look at you like you have just commited the crime of the year....makes me laff with pity
Old 30 June 2003, 09:16 AM
Gaz Jones
Scooby Regular

SONIC

lorries drive so close to save on fuel, they pull each other along with the slipsteam effect...I think im right!!!!

gaz

[Edited by Gaz Jones - 6/30/2003 9:16:45 AM]
Old 30 June 2003, 09:40 AM
jasabz
Scooby Regular

Yes, you have made a fair comment about middle lane hoggers etc its just that i have yet to find any other car enthusiast site or owners who sem so keen to do the undertake /blast past mentality. In response to you question of why should i move etc etc erm .......its the law!!! Plus would be `funny` if the guy decides to pull over into the slow lane just at the same time as you have decided to be a smart ar*e and undertake him. A quick look in his mirrors might not expose your moronic driving coming up his blind spot. The reason i made the `Colin` remarks that after owning severall high performance vehicles i have decided to try out the scoob this year. as with every other car i have owned i have tried to join or become involved in any membership or enthusiast scene and i must say that the average scoob owner that i have come across in my last week of joining has been , how can i put this nicely, a bit disappointing. According to most in here there really is no point in tuning a scoob as its the fastest car out there already and basically other road users an vehicles just get in its way!!! A very blinkered view dont you think mate?? I will be heavily into modifying my scoob when it comes but so far, i guess i will have to stick to other forums for advice because if this is the sort of twaddle that some users are spurting for driving technique etc i really cant see me relying on any tuning or modifying tips from the same people. would you??
jas
Old 30 June 2003, 09:43 AM
NACRO
BANNED

we should turn our roads into freeways and have passing wherever you feel it's necessary- that would solve the problem

Oh and Wurzel - if you try the lane hogging crap on in Germany you will have a a 3 pointed star pushing you out of the way quicker than you can say "blitzkrieg" - as I'm sure you know.
Old 30 June 2003, 09:44 AM
Lunchie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I hate lane hoggers too, but... if you undertake them you are being as lazy as them in not bothering to overtake, and more dangerous (people don't expect it - especially if they're as oblivious as you think they are). If you feel moving across to lanes to overtake is dangerous, and can't cope with it, sounds like you need a re-test...

(Flame suit firmly zipped up)
Old 30 June 2003, 10:38 AM
juan
Scooby Regular

I've undertaken just the odd one or two (usually when not much else is about).
I do try to be good and use the proper lane for passing as I'd be really gutted to get a ticket + points + increased insurance for 5 years just for trying to prove a point when the blighters obviously don't care / notice anyway.

To be honest recently I'm finding a new problem is becoming an ever increasing occurence. Some tw@t sat in the fast lane at 75 with an enormous queue behind them. Thats much more of a pain cos there is no option but to sit there or to undertake. at leats with middle laners you can easily pass them.

Sometimes they'll pull over for someone aggressive but as soon as that one is past they're back out into the fast lane holding everyone up again.

grrr
Old 30 June 2003, 11:19 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Nacro it appears that you might have spent some time in Germany so you will know that there are bigger and better cars out here than Mercedes which seem to be worshipped by some of you lot, however the average German driver regardless of what they are driving would rather overtake you than push you out the way if your in the middle lane, which is why they have an overtaking lane. I have been driving here for over 3 years now and have not once been forced to move over by a Merc or a BM, I tend to spend most of my time in the fast lane occasionally moving into the middle lane if I need to. I however have forced many a Merc, BMW, Audi, VW etc out of the fast lane, I have a scooby which we all know is not the fasted car on the road but it does have the ability to move a lot quicker than most of the bigger cars hence allowing you to get out of the way if needed, my point is! what is the big deal with driving in the middle lane? if you can't overtake a middle lane driver then there must be a reason for it.
Old 30 June 2003, 11:19 AM
Twin-turbo
Scooby Regular

Sulli - In your very first post you mention a 'fast lane'! The speed limit in all 3 (or 4) lanes of a motorway is 70mph. There are no 'slow, medium or fast' lanes.

The second and third lanes one a motorway are 'overtaking' lanes. So like you say, there is no need to sit in either of them unless you are overtaking. This is something that gets to me too, like to dozy cow yesterday on the M25 who pulled onto the motorway about 100 yards in front of me, straight into the middle lane, even though there was no cars for at least another 3-400 yards in front of her, and just sat at about 60mph. So I close on her, I pull into the middle lane flash her to move over, she does, I drive past and then she pull back into the middle lane again! WTF!!!

I think its about time that motorway driving became part of the driving test.

Old 30 June 2003, 11:30 AM
jongould-work
Scooby Regular

JASABZ, the topic on here is not relitive to scooby owners in general. This topic is not really scooby related, more a driving experience. Thos that dont have any problem with the lane hoggers dont tend to rteply, so its very 1 sided.

If you want to join scoobynet for a more car based experience then the tech forums are a better place to stay. I tend to visit into thesew forums when i have got a bit of spare time...

there is also a lot of bad press for scoobys, comments like 'to common' e.t.c. This is alot down to jelousy. the scooby is in the middle territory, you dont need to be mega rich to own one, but its still a 6K car and out the reach of most boy racers. The fact a few have one tho means that the ones that dont give you a very negative feel, as in 'you think your better but your not' approach.

Persnally, i drive mine, i enjoy it. whatever anyone else does or thinks is thier own opinion. Just watch out, on here you start off wanting a decat pipe and then end up making a 350+ BHP monster...
Old 30 June 2003, 11:47 AM
k9any
Scooby Regular

Wink

Simple solution to the middle lane hoggers, flash ure lights from behind and the overtake...anyside dosen't really make a difference then as you pass extend ure left/right arm and extend middle finger!

If the still don't get the point follow them home and then smash their legs with a hammer!

Have a nice day
Old 30 June 2003, 12:11 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

One point noone's made is what happens if there's a blow out or the engine goes. Most people would try to reach the hard shoulder to get out of the traffic. I saw this happen on the M4 once. A Honda pulled in and shot off towards the slip road (J12, Reading) when a Volvo three cars in front had one of his rear tyres let go. I've never seen a Honda brake so fast as this Volvo 340/360 crabbed across the motorway churning huge clouds of smoke and nearly butted a major road sign before stopping.

I still overtake on the inside if I have to but I won't tailgate people closely and I'll give them a chance to pull over. Driving on a four laner (M25, M40), you have to pull out two-three lanes and then back again if someone's in lane three.

One thing to think about when planning such a manoeuvre is to make sure there's lots of space on your nearside. e.g. the hard shoulder doesn't suddenly become a concrete wall and there's nothing stopped on it or there's another lane inside you with nothing in it.

Vindaloo.

Quick Reply: GET OUT THE MIDDLE LANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!