Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

challenging local council proposed speed limits

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2003, 04:04 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I was reading my local newspsper today and had a shock when i read the "public notices" section. A section I dont normally read!

Notice after notice was concerning 40 mph limits being downgraded to 30 mph. I am familiar with many of these roads and wouldnt you know it many are large main roads dual carriageway in many parts.

Is there anyway of challenging these proposals?
Old 29 June 2003, 04:17 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Yes!

Continue to drive at 40

More seriously, if they're are notices in local papers then I "assume" its like planning notices, that they'll be somesort of deadline to complain, about things. However, I wouldnt expect much success.

Near me, theres a major crossroads. The council (Lib Dems) found that there were 27 accidents at this crossroads in the past 3 years. Out of the 27, 9 or so (3 a year!) were due to cars turning right. So they decided to ban cars from turning right! This then pushes the traffic down side streets to get round this. We were "polled" and rejected it, as did everybody in the side road now having major traffic running down it. But it still got changed. So basically they'll do what they like anyway! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 29 June 2003, 05:52 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

ABD, the Association of British Drivers have some stuff on their web page about this: http://www.abd.org.uk/

Read the webpage, follow the instructions to fight the speed limits, then join ABD.
Old 29 June 2003, 06:53 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Lightbulb

See Speed Limits -
How they are set and your Right to Object
!

Oh, and as previously mentioned, join the ABD!!!!

mb
Old 29 June 2003, 06:59 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

The notices are part of the process making Traffic Regulation Orders legal - i.e. they need to undergo public consultation This gives a chance to object/support hte proposals, if objections are recieved a report is written by the engineer proposing the change and it goes to your Local Area Committee/Councillors Committee if County Council who is made up from elected members who make hte final decision - you should also have a chance to speak at the meeting - all the details will be given to you if you object

If you are going to object - a few pointers:

* 30mph speed limits can only be installed if the speed currently on the road have a 85th percentile speed of 37mph or lower (or they need significant traffic calming - costly.)

* Check out the features of a 30mph speed limit and 40mph, use this to fight your case, the Engineers have to use a set procedure, I can't find the Leaflet on the web atm, but I'll look up the number of it tomorrow (there's loads of them ) if you're interested and post a link here

Thing is - fight it sensibly...only talk about hte roads in question, don't waste time using emotional pleas as that won't work - base it on facts (and hope the Personal Injury Accident record isn't high - if it is, ask how many accidents cited "Speed" as a contributory factor )

If I can help et me know

Jen
(Who's just had a 30mph changed to a 40mph )
Old 29 June 2003, 07:00 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Boomer got there first
Old 29 June 2003, 07:46 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Arrow

Thanks for the replies. I have just read the ABD site, in particular most of the "police letter" to the ABD. I had to stop as my eyes were hurting!

Some valid points raised in the whole letter I think. If it is a genuine letter to the ABD then Im most impressed by the refreshing attitude taken by the officers(s) involved. It accurately predicts that from a general point of view the reputation of police forces will go downhill following dictates from govt/'senior' officers about speed revenue maximisers.

Without a soapbox performance from me, Im impressed that such a coherent point of view about speed 'overkill' (no pun intended) is made by serving traffic officers. They mention in several places that its not speed that kills but inappropriate speed.

The original point I have made about the downgrading of roads from a 40 to a 30 was mentioned several times. Although it can’t be said that ALL of these schemes are made for revenue purposes, it does make you think.

And thanks for the advice regarding my local situation Jen, ill have a close look at each of the proposals and "make some enquiries".

Regarding the 85% percentile argument for reducing speed limits. Do they measure the speeds this way by having 2 rubber strips across a road that go into a metal box chained to the side of the road? I have wondered this, and when I do see this equipment I always slow over it to give the impression that average speeds are lower than they actually are
Old 29 June 2003, 08:58 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

That's one way of doing it It actually gives a lower speed than the "real" one though, the 85th percentile has to be free flowing traffic, and the tubes on the roads measure all traffic, not just free flowing...so my favourite method is a laser speed gun

So, yup, carry on slowing down if you don't want anything to happen on the roads