Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Rave review, Vibealite last saturday night!!!

Search this Thread

Old 15 June 2003, 06:46 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Summer Sensation was the most amazing rave I attended last year on shear specticle alone. This year, despite it not being at Fantasy Island, it delivered again.
As with all Summer Sensations, It was a northern based event produced by Vibealite. Its become a bit of a tradition for me to drive to the big Vibealite raves only this time I decided not to mess about and filled up the car way in advance. In the end, It was me, Kev Voltage, Matt Wildcard, Dan Desire and Cris-E-Manic in the hardcore 4x4 (cheers for the loan sis 8) ) as we made our way to Leicester University. The drive up there was loads better than FI simply cos it was mainly motorway based. Using the directions on the flyer we found our way easily enough, although a few signs pointing us in a general direction would not have gone amiss.
Upon getting there, we split up. Dan, Kev, Matt and Cris-E went straight in as their set had been brought forward, I slyly queue jumped in with Davespice, Denno and his missus. Whilst we were waiting to get in, I noticed some signs taped to the wall. Some were sensible enough like drug advice and the like, some were bordering on the daft. The request of "no caps and hoods" left me speachless. Its a rave FFS, not a fashion parade. Whoever came up with that idea needs their head looking at.
Anyways, despite that we waited about hyalf an hour and then we were in. Security did a firm but fair pat down for weapons and quick look through me stuff. Have to say at this point respect to ALL security in the venue, friendly, polite and resonable all night.
Once inside, I went to look for the hardcore arena. Once I found it (easier said than done though) I saw Dougal on the decks, together with Whizzkid and Wottsee on the mic. Good though it was, We only stayed for a little while, at 11.45 Desire and Voltage were on in the new talent room. The good thing about this is that most of the USH crew were there to see it. Wildcard was on the mic for most of the set too. Pretty much an hour long USH meetup, the atmosphere was great. Set werent all that bad either, with Dan and Kev going for it hard and with a little bit of gabba thrown in for good measure. Great set lads 8)
After the USH meetup set I went to take a look around the venue. I'm not 100% sure but I think this was the first time it had been used for a rave and whoever came up with the idea of using it deserves a pat on the back. It was like a rabbit warren with arenas over 3 floor and accessable through narrow stairs and corridors. Production varied from arena to arena. The hardcore and hard house arenas were very well done, the oldskool, DnB and new talent arena were more minimalist but still well done. The Techno arena was closed for the night on an unconfirmed health and safetly tip which was a shame, However the New talent arena was reformatted combining the new talent and techno DJs in one room to make up for it.
The Next set I remember seeing was Brisk's. I'm a little sketchy on the content though, I cant even remember what time he was on! but I know he was playing as good as he usually does, hard. Havent a clue on tne selection though, but I know I was having a great time.
The next concrete memory I have was of Robbie Long and Devastate's set. Unfortunatly for both good and bad reasons. The set itself was fantastic. Breakbeats are never bad, and the ones these boys were delivering were anything but. Criminally, the arena emptied out, but that was good anyways cos it meant the temparature dropped enough to enjoy all of their set instead of having to cool down every 20 minutes. The tune selection was amazing. It had to be for me to remember it, lets face it :lol "Get hard" was rinsed out, erm, amongst other things, doh! listen all you have to know is that RL & D delivered close to the set of the night for me. I would have been THE set of the night, but because of the actions some try hard bint, the set was brought down. "MC Q" as she told me her name was was on the mic. Well I say on the mic, more of hogging the mic and ruining the set if you want the truth. I ****ing hate mic blaggers, mostly cos they cant MC to save their dick, but she didnt even have one to save, so that made it doubly worse. It would have been at least acceptable if she had shut up for longer for 5 seconds but would she? Would she bollocks. It was obivious she was up there soley to big herself up and not for the ravers enjoyment at all. Grob went up to wottsee and had a word and he manfully took the mic off her and showed her what MC'ing was really about. Do us all a favour love and make like an asylum seeker next time. Sew up your gob. :evil:
After RL & D was Hixxy. The Hixxter launched into his set with that (I think, not sure) gabba tune overlaid on "thou shalt not forget", then straight after that, the remix of "injected with a poison" which provided one bonafide hardcore rush Cheers dude. Unfortunatly the set was once again marred by substandard MC'ing. You just dont MC over "thou shalt not forget", its against the rules.
Halfway through Hixxy's set I went to find some of the others and stumbled into the oldskool room. It was a good job I did because I would have missed the set of the night. Benson was on the decks and he was playing my favourite era. 95-96. OMG what a set. Tunes like "freedom", "Hardcore fever" and others from the same era had me bouncing round like a loon. Who cares if its 4 am and I'm totally knackered? With tunes like that I was wide awake in an instant. The sound system was a little off, but if you stood in the right place it was loud and clear. I was loving evey minute of that set and it came to an end all too soon.
For the final set of the night, It was Sy and Storm. Never ones to dissapoint these two tore the place to the ground with yet another stunning performance. It was reflected in the packed dancefloor which was heaving right till the end. Quote of the night also goes to Storm who was pointing to people in the crowd who were not dancing and saying "You! sort yer life out and get raving!"
Right then:
Things I liked.
New venue, well thought out and properly used.
Brilliant production where it counted.
Top notch music all night.
Nice merchandise, very happy with my fleece
Friendly security.
VERY good atmosphere.
Things I liked less.
Mic blaggers, nuff said.
The heat, it got a little unbearable at times.
The lack of availabilty of tickets down south. This is a consistant problem with Vibealite events and its something I feel they need to sort out.

On the whole, a cracking night out. It had its problems, but the whole experience made up for any shortcomings on the night. Totally justifed the 30squid on the door price for me, Vibealite does it again with yet another event that can only be described in one word.
Hardcore. 8)
astraboy.
Shouts to: Davespice, Denno, Denno's missus, Desire, Voltage, Cris-E, Wildcard, Grob, Potfish, Tenz, Whizzkid, Storm, Wottsee, Spenno, Scott Devotion, Eeezergoode, Paul USH, Benson, Sal, Chedda (gonna miss you mate!), Koochy, Mad Vic, Sorcerer, Teresa, Spencer... Damn, I cant remember any more, I'll let you know when I do.
Old 15 June 2003, 07:29 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so in short you had a good time?
Old 15 June 2003, 09:23 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Talking

Criminally, the arena emptied out,

sounds like it was brilliant mate

UB
Old 15 June 2003, 09:29 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Have you ever been to one that wasnt worth a Rave Review ?
Old 15 June 2003, 10:41 PM
deano
Scooby Regular

I saw Dougal on the decks
**** me.... And Florence was getting up the a$$ from Zebedee at the same time
Old 15 June 2003, 10:50 PM
Madjay
Scooby Regular

dougal is a good wee dj like he's the one who used to do the bonkers albums i believe???
Old 16 June 2003, 12:12 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

http://www.ush.net/gallery/index2.ht...e=dscf0024.jpg
I'm the guy on the right in the dayglo vest, work out from this wheather I enjoyed it or not
astraboy.
Old 16 June 2003, 12:15 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

<Have you ever been to one that wasnt worth a Rave Review ? >
Plenty mate. believe me. Although mostly when I cant do a review its because I cant remember enough of the evening!!
astraboy.