Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Jobs for 16/17 year olds.

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2003, 09:49 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Unhappy

My eldest started at 6th form college last year, realised after 10 weeks that he hated the course, and dropped out.:
He's decided to go back to the technical college next year, and applications are underway:
Since then, he's been looking for a job. Because he wasn't 17 until 27 May, he can't go to the local jobcentre, or have jobseeker's allowance, or any other allowance, and our child allowance stopped as he is not in full time education.: So no income, other than what me and his mum can come up with, and odd-jobbing for grandpa.
He can't register with an agency, as they won't have anyone under 18:
He's written LOADS of letters, filled in LOADS of application forms, made LOADS of telephone calls, but NEVER gets any feedback. Places like supermarkts tell him they "aren't taking anyone on at present". Then I see yet another new checkout girl, and ask her when she got her job. She tells me last week, I ask how, as I was told they weren't hiring, and she tells me her mother/aunt/grandma/friends of the above got her it. This has happened not once, but 4 times now:

And we wonder why lads of that sort of age are dissatisfied, bored, bitter, and hang around on street corners:
Alcazar:
Old 10 June 2003, 10:07 AM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
McDonalds, Allsports and most retail shops take on people of that age. Try a your local shopping centre some shops will be hiring.
Old 10 June 2003, 10:09 AM
damian666
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Possible jobs that I got *really* easily:

Domino's Pizza delivery/instore (does he like mopeds etc?)
Florists (odd jobs/some IT work)
Maplins - saturday work to begin with
Pub - mmmmmm boooze

It is a bit daunting when you set out looking for any job as its really crap getting knocked down. For me it was always the 'off chances' that I took advantage of and they worked out great.

Considering I didn't go to college at all, I think its worked out ok, considering I now work in IT.

Damian
Old 10 June 2003, 10:11 AM
damian666
Scooby Regular

Oops! If he is under 18 he might have a prob working in a pub! Has he tried 'connexions' (sp??) Its like the job centre for under 18s and has NVQ courses and normal jobs as well.
Old 10 June 2003, 10:15 AM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

I think you can work in a pub under 18 but not serve. Just do glass collecting and food service etc
Old 10 June 2003, 10:24 AM
SteveV-WRX
Scooby Regular

Smile

Alcazar

if he is fairly sporty/energetic take him to your local sports or leisure centre and enrole him on a lifeguard course.

You only have to be 16 to start the course and should cost about £100/£150 but will be the best investment you will ever do.

He will learn valuable lifeskills (responsibility, timekeeping, customer service ...) and practicle abilities (first aid, physical fitness ...) and he will have a job that he can always fall back on or use if he goes back to college.

I gained mine when i was 16, used it all through college and university and have ended up in a managerial position for a well known health club chain.

if you want any more info PM me as per profile and i can pass on what to look for and where to go for it.

Steve
Old 10 June 2003, 10:26 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

is he a typical teenager with lank hair, bits of metal stuck in his face and his jeans hanging 4inches below his ****?

Old 10 June 2003, 10:36 AM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Agree with Steve-V...

Both our boys did the same - the older always had the local pool ringing him up to do shifts and the younger one now lifeguards for a small independent swimming teaching business at £8ph!

...and you get to sit on the side in your shorts and blow a whistle
Old 10 June 2003, 11:45 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Some good ideas here, thanks.
No he isn't a typical teenager with bits of metal stuck in his face, and jeans hanging 4 inches below his ****......that's his old man:
He has tried every shop in town, and none want everyone.
He has reasonably short hair, not skinhead, and a baseball cap, which he doesn't wear when he goes into shops asking.
He seems to be doing everyhting right, but no luck.
Alcazar
Old 10 June 2003, 11:51 AM
super_si
Scooby Regular

I got in a sports shop at 16 so i was there 2 years.

best place was Ms Selfridges with 4 mates

Tried the super Markets???

Si
Old 10 June 2003, 11:56 AM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

yeah, try the supermarkets. Almost always positions vacant for replenishment staff ( may involve evenings etc). Can be a good laugh too.

I worked for Sainsburys for years starting at just under 17.

Steve
Old 10 June 2003, 11:57 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I got in a sports shop at 16 so i was there 2 years
Could you not find the door, or would they not let you out ????
Old 10 June 2003, 11:59 AM
super_si
Scooby Regular

Old 10 June 2003, 12:41 PM
j.r-xrs
Scooby Regular

I got my NPLQ (National Pool Lifeguard Qualifation) total cost of £145 and 35-40 hours over 4 weekends at the end of last year, at the moment I only work one day a week and it's an easy £50. Certainly recommend it.

Please note an enjoyment of bird watching is required.

Good luck
Old 10 June 2003, 12:52 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

What about starting as an Office junior? I started work at 16 and started as an office junior filling paper work and typing for IT consultants. I only took the job so that I get into the IT field. After about 2 months of totally boring typing I was given a techy role . Stayed there for 3.5 years and then moved on.

I can't see why agencies are turning him away. When I was 16 I took my CV into about 6 agencies and they all said that they would do their best. I think 4 came back with a positive response.

If he were my son I would get him suited and booted to make him drop his CV off at the agencies.

Just my thoughts

Darren
Old 10 June 2003, 02:01 PM
Dan B
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

When i was 16 I joined the TA. Best thing ever. Got to muck around with big guns/landies/planes/helicopters/mud etc. When I was that young it was cool. I got to keep fit (in fact I got to show all the "older" guys how unfit they were). They wouldn't let me do any gun stuff till I was 17 though.

Then (8yrs ago) I got ~£40 for a day with them. Didn't have to go all the time either. 1 night a week and maybe 2 weekends a month, worked out at about £240 a month, which was loads. Also got a lump sum (started at £600 quid) a year just for being able to run and shoot straight ) Pi33ed off my mates at school as well; "What did you do this weekend?" "Fast roped out of helicopters". "oh, we sat in the park with 2 litres of white lightening...."

I could go on about what it teaches you about life, blah blah blah, but then again, he just might not like that kinda stuff anyway. Food for thought.
Old 10 June 2003, 02:12 PM
daiscooby
BANNED

Forget the STABS ( Stupid TA B@stards ) go for the real McCoy. Try the Army, its a grand life and you get to shot things.

Seriously I went in at 20 with a shed load of qualifications, but they will take you at 17. He could lean a trade or just be a squaddie. Good grounding in life and you make good contacts

My daughter is 18 and doing her exams now. But she earns triffic money in a call centre doing evenings and weekends. Or try BT as an operator.
Postman, usually a waiting list, but hey beats walking the streets.
Old 10 June 2003, 02:19 PM
Dan B
Scooby Regular

I think he needs a part time job whilst finishing college...?

p.s. I bet I've got more qualifactions than you dai

[Edited by Dan B - 6/10/2003 2:21:44 PM]
Old 10 June 2003, 02:22 PM
daiscooby
BANNED

Dan

I sort of misunderstood, but the BT Operator and call centre stuff can be done evenings and weekends.

I was a window cleaner while I was in sixth form and college, I earned loads of dosh, just a thought.
Old 10 June 2003, 02:28 PM
daiscooby
BANNED

Dan

For a pongo I had a lot before I went in:

7 O's
3 A's
HND Computer Studies

Joined just before 21. Most of my basic intake needed my help to spell Army .
Old 10 June 2003, 02:31 PM
Dan B
Scooby Regular

indeed
Old 10 June 2003, 04:27 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

<<yeah, try the supermarkets. Almost always positions vacant for replenishment staff ( may involve evenings etc).>>

It's the rotten supermarkets that keep telling him to fill in forms, then tell him there's no work, or don't bother to tell him anything, and set on someones daughter/granddaughter the next day!!
Alcazar
Old 10 June 2003, 07:33 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Talking

TA isn't a bad idea.
How about the local Pizza place/Indian etc? I do part time deliveries in a pizza shop, and they have a 16 and a 17 year old working in the kitchen.
Old 10 June 2003, 10:12 PM
Madjay
Scooby Regular

i'm on the same boat im 17 got 8 gcse's and am doing my AS level exams at the mo, i aint revised and have been spending alot of time drinking cause the place and people depress me so im not coming back next year. so i only have 8 gcse's to get a job with what a bummer like and i dont have a clue what i want to do. at the minute i work for a supermarket and i hate it full of old women
Old 11 June 2003, 10:03 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Madjay: tried your local technical college? Maybe the course you embarked on was wrong for you, like my lad. Don't give up, have a look for another.............
You'll NEVER afford a Scoob on supermarket wages:.........at least, that's what I keep telling my lad!
Alcazar
Old 11 June 2003, 10:13 AM
Defiant STI
Scooby Regular

Is he making it clear that he wants a part time position until he can go back to college? He maybe better off concealing the truth. Most stores will invest time and money in training which would prove useless if your son intends to leave in 4 months time. Just a thought from the unemployed

Tell him to pretend that he wants a full time position and then when the time comes simply leave or see if he can continue on a part time basis while at college.

Goodluck