Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lots of finger pointing....

http://www.mediaweek.co.uk/ThisWeek....ContentID=9960
Old 29 May 2003, 01:57 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

My mum is well pissed off with the sat changeover, she lies in Tenerife and satellite was the only way she could get BBC channels and now they've disappeared. They've even stopped showing Eastenders on BBC Prime so she is now trying to get into the Spanish soaps
Old 29 May 2003, 03:08 PM
4lex L
Scooby Regular

Angry

Aarrgh these children really pi$$ me off, I very much doubt the TV licence will be renewed this year.
Old 29 May 2003, 03:18 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Don't blame the BBC, blame Sky's exorbitant charges!
Old 29 May 2003, 03:28 PM
4lex L
Scooby Regular

Yeah fair point Jlanng, its just it’s so frustrating when the customer ends up suffering. Our system was installed a while back so the dish probably just needs repositioning slightly. Anyway it looks like summer is finally here and there’s far too many BBQs and other such outdoor activities to enjoy to worry about what’s on the telly
Old 29 May 2003, 03:32 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

This is very much the BBC's doing if you read the article. They made the switch to the new satellite which has a much reduced footprint, at the same time they cancelled the agreement with Sky. Sky do not have to subsidise the BBC, we do that already, and for the BBC to assume they will get any favours from a private broadcaster is stupidity bordering on incompetence. The BBC is cutting into Sky's audience with channels that are similar and also free to view, if you were Sky, would you help them???

The unfortunate consequence of all this is that British viewers abroad will no longer be able to watch the Beeb, but that was the BBC's intention from the start.........
Old 29 May 2003, 03:39 PM
SCOOBY TOWERS
Scooby Regular

Ahh that's what's going on.
Keep losing the picture every now and then.
Looks like I'm up the ladders tonight then
Old 29 May 2003, 04:14 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Reffro, the BBC were effectively subsidising Sky - which can't be right. Their solution was to move to another satellite which covers the UK (you shouldn't be able receive BBC channels abroad anyway). It so happens that some dishes that weren't installed correctly can't see this satellite
Old 29 May 2003, 04:19 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

LOL at the people addicted to the "glass teat"

ah well, as long as I can still watch top-gear I suppose

Old 29 May 2003, 04:32 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Too true, haven't watched telly since last week
Old 29 May 2003, 05:15 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

No, the BBC were paying Sky to broadcast the BBC channels via Sky's encrypted service to Sky subscribers, not subsidising. Sky were not making any additional charge to receive the channels to their customers, the charge involved paid for the programmes to be broadcast, and for the programme listings to available to Sky viewers. The BBC in order to meet their contract obligations regarding where programmes they bought could be viewed, had to get Sky to encrypt their programmes before transmission via Sky. The BBC could have transmitted the programmes via the existing satellite, but without encryption they would have been available to any viewer in Europe effectively. The charge paid by the BBC to Sky covered the costs the transmission, encryption, programme listings etc etc, it was not a subsidy.

It allowed the BBC to launch its digital programmes to satellite viewers far earlier than would have been possible otherwise, remember the BBC have been on Sky for years.

Now the BBC are able to transmit the same channels and programmes via a different satellite which has a much smaller footprint. They don't have to encrypt the channels any more, as nobody outside of the UK should be able to view them. That being the case, the BBC have cancelled their contract with Sky, Sky have ceased transmission, and now people are having trouble with their reception.

Any problems are due to the BBC, not Sky, remember Sky have installed the satellite equipment for people to view Sky's programmes. People are still able to do that without interuption...
Old 29 May 2003, 06:48 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Drug of the nation.
Old 29 May 2003, 06:55 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Reffro

The point I was trying and obviously failed to make was that Sky were charging an awful lot of money to transmit the channels. We as license payers were paying that money
Old 30 May 2003, 01:48 AM
KaraK
Scooby Regular

who says they were charging too much money? I know the figure of £85m was placed but there is no info there to give that a context, you have no idea how much "profit" sky made out of that figure or how much anyone else (such as ITV) pays sky for the same service.
Old 30 May 2003, 10:16 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

who says they were charging too much money? I know the figure of £85m was placed but there is no info there to give that a context, you have no idea how much "profit" sky made out of that figure or how much anyone else (such as ITV) pays sky for the same service.
Don't tell me what I have no idea about. ITV pay £17m (for fewer channels). The total saving by not using Sky will be £85m over five years.
Old 30 May 2003, 10:53 AM
KaraK
Scooby Regular

point taken. Sorry mate didn't intend any antagonism by my post. The "you" in my post didn't really refer to you more to the fact that the article linked to here gives no real context to that figure of £85.
Old 30 May 2003, 10:57 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

No worries . The BBC reckon they're going to save £85m, and it looks like ITV and Channel 5 may follow suit, although Sky are sure to offer a sweetener for them to stay!
Old 02 June 2003, 08:54 PM
4lex L
Scooby Regular

I don't know if anything has changed or if the weather is just a bit better today but I'm now receiving the BBC channel
Old 02 June 2003, 10:05 PM
Fuzz unplugged
Scooby Regular

the last time I turned the telly on to watch terrestrial tv was errrr... that long ago I can't remember.
GET A LIFE

Just turned it on to see what utter dross they are churning out these days
flick, flick, flick, hmm
Big brother I suppose is remotely watchable...
I have my own life to live with out watching someone elses

Andy
Old 02 June 2003, 10:36 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs down

I just wish there were a way that I could watch TV in this Godforsaken country WITHOUT subsidising the sh*t that the BBC put out!![img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Alcazar
Old 02 June 2003, 10:49 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

Our BBC channels made a reappearance today on Sky...

go figure
Old 02 June 2003, 11:36 PM
jonny32
Scooby Regular

How far does the dish need to be moved ????, I reinstalled mine from the last house as sky wanted to much to reinstall it..
Old 03 June 2003, 11:40 AM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

I seem to recall that there was also a dispute between Sky and ITV about the transmission costs for ITV2 and hence it took its time before appearing on Sky.

Seems to me that if the BBC can save £85 million by moving to a different satelitte Sky were making too much money out of the deal. After all that £85 million represents a lot of Licence fees!

For those outside the UK I suppose its tough, but then they shouldn't have been able to get them anyway.
Old 03 June 2003, 10:48 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
I'd like to see a few more Sky channels on Freeview. It's supposed to be a BBC/BSkyB partnership. Sky Travel is fine but not exactly BBC1 is it.