Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Help with my Dog..........AGAIN!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2003, 09:53 AM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a dog psychologist or something.

Dog has dominance issues with my 5 year old son. I'm quite worried as he's a big dog.

He growls at my boy and even though we took measures to keep the dog from going upstairs, he managed to find a way and cr*pped in my sons room. He's done it on several occasions and it's getting too much.

Every trainer I have spoken to has said it's a dominance thing BUT haven't given me any help on how to solve it (even though I coughed up good money for it).

Please help or the dog has to go (he nearly went on Saturday, the day after it happened but I couldn't bring myself to take him back to the kennels)
Old 19 May 2003, 10:05 AM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

I'd re establish the pecking order in the family to reinforce to the dog that it's last in the hierarchy. You could do this by making sure that you all eat before the dog & then get your son to put the food down for him after you all have finished eating & leave the dog to eat alone.
If you consider in the wild the strongest/most dominant of the pack would always have first dibs & the weakest gets the pickings when they've finished.

Failing that kick him up the **** & rub his nose it (The dog not your son !)

D
Old 19 May 2003, 10:06 AM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

crikey that is a dodgy one. Standard dominance issues are things like feeding the dog last, not letting it up on sofas, ignoring the dog when you first come home and making sure visitors do the same. Various other techniques which you may already be familiar with. But it sounds like you need some urgent action. Dog behaviourists can make some real progress quickly but I dont know how you go about finding one locally. Can only suggest asking your vet if he can suggest someone.
Sorry I cant be more help. Best of luck.

Steve
Old 19 May 2003, 10:11 AM
Shaolin
Scooby Regular

Question

One of the things you can try, is make sure you eat and your son, before the dog does, and make sure the dog looks at this.
Also, before your dog eats, put him outside, get his dinner ready, and get your son to let him in, and then get your son to give the dog his food,after making the dog sit, this should all help.

edited to say Dunk got there before i finished typing!

[Edited by Shaolin - 5/19/2003 10:12:52 AM]
Old 19 May 2003, 10:13 AM
Luke
BANNED

get your son to cut the dogs nackers off. This will sort the problem.
Old 19 May 2003, 10:15 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

take it back now!

get a nice little dog that you dont have to "dominate" (do you wear rubber for that?) and feed at daft times just to make sure it doesnt eat your bloody children!

Old 19 May 2003, 10:16 AM
Shaolin
Scooby Regular

Dont rub his nose in it, thats the last thing you want to do, completely useless, one of these old wives tale type things.
Old 19 May 2003, 10:16 AM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

also - is there a reason why the dog is growling at your son? ie does your son tease the dog etc?

Steve
Old 19 May 2003, 10:28 AM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!
Son has been a pain in the a*se to be honest BUT he does nothing that we don't do!

Problem started initially cause the dog doesn't like the fact I cuddle my son infront of him. He's very jealous.

We do all the feeding stuff and us going through doors first etc. I just don't get why Trev (dog) is being such a tw*t! He's also started to chew things while we are out.

He's ripped up my dressing gown that was in the washing machine, my partners trainers, a 4 roll pack of toilet paper, box of tissues. He's even taking toys out of my sons hands and demolishing them.

I thought rescue dogs were supposed to make great pets as they are grateful to have a good home! Well, theres always one tosser that slips through and I got him!!!!
Old 19 May 2003, 10:33 AM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Didn't realise you've got a rescue dog - you've inherited someone elses problems, get shot of it before it draws blood.

D
Old 19 May 2003, 10:55 AM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

clearly the safety of your son must come first, but this behaviour can generally be cured. Have you tried the following:
when you come home completely ignore the dog. If the dog jumps up and tries to make a fuss of you, cross your arms and dont acknowledge that it is even there. If there are other people in the room (particularly your son) make a show of going over to them and hug them etc. After a couple of minutes go and say hello to the dog (ie do it in your own time), but try to do it as calmly as possible. Dont let it jump up - if it tries to jump up cross your arms and ignore it as above. When it calms down again go over and make a fuss of it, again calmly.
Make sure that you do this every time you come in and that everyone else does the same. This will make it clear to the dog who is the boss. Generally a week or 2 of this will make a real difference.
Hopefully this may help, but obviously it is difficult to say without knowing the circumstances. Best of luck.

Steve
Old 19 May 2003, 11:19 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Didn't realise you've got a rescue dog - you've inherited someone elses problems, get shot of it before it draws blood.
Not necessarily Dunk! This is maybe the defeatist attitude taken by previous owners. The dog is probably feeling very insecure and his behaviour stems from a lot to do with that.

red_dog as said previously you have to establish the pecking order, it wont happen overnight, could take weeks/months BUT if you feel that the dog poses any danger to your son - Dunk's suggestion is the only solution, I am afraid.

Try shutting the dog out of the room you are all in for short periods [15-20 mins at a time] to begin with, when you let him back in - ignore him. If necessary get him an indoor cage and confine him in that when you go out. Large ones are readily available at a reasonable price, [I have just purchased one] All the suggestions made in other replies have to be carried out too. Dog's are destructive when you go out because they are disgusted that you have left them and it's not boredom as some incorrectly people believe.

Not an easy task in front of you I am afraid but one that can be achieved with perseverance and time
Old 19 May 2003, 01:03 PM
steve G MAN
Scooby Regular

Hi i breed JAP AKITAS if you know them you will know there a very dominant breed e mail me or give me a call any time and ill give you some good tips
steve
Old 19 May 2003, 03:15 PM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Cheers Steve YHM!