Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Tax discs.Why noyt insurance as well?

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2003, 09:38 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They say that there are now about 1 million people driving in the UK with no insurance. This is appalling. Why not have an insurance disc in the front screen of the car like the tax disc. This has been adopted in France and been successful.
A new database could then be set up with all cars registered in the UK on it.With new police No plate recognition vans being utilised now maybe we could get some of this scum off our roads.
Just a thought. But something must be done about this.

Chip.
Old 16 May 2003, 09:44 AM
Badger Stuffer
Scooby Regular

Good idea. Also they should add a penny to every galloon of petrol and abolish road tax.

That way you pay as you use. The more you use and wear down the roads the more you pay towards fixing them.

The granny that uses her car to pop 1 mile to the shops once a week is paying the same as the rep that does 1000 miles a week.

Just a thought.

Old 16 May 2003, 09:54 AM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Its a great idea Badger

But the sticking point has always been that at least once a year you have to prove your car is both insured and has an MOT
when you buy your RFL

Phil
Old 16 May 2003, 09:59 AM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

With you Badger, they maon about people evading road tax but don't want to introduce a full proof system. There would be issues with lower CC cars and motorbikes but they could overcome this fairly easily.

As for car insurance my neighbour has a quote for his 17 year old son of £2500 3rd party in a group 2 car. Talk about stupid
Old 16 May 2003, 10:04 AM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

That way you pay as you use. The more you use and wear down the roads the more you pay towards fixing them.
and 4 wheel drives, wear down twice as much road as 2 wheel drives, so should be taxed proportionately!!! LMFAO

hehee

BB
Old 16 May 2003, 10:42 AM
Mycroft
Scooby Regular

FYI

Information contained below by kind permission of Dr. Morse-Wiltshire.[AKA Mycroft/V-Bird] Original text Copyright protected 2000.

###
Over the last few years we as Motorists have had to cope with many strictures placed upon us. The earliest sign I remember was the change from the 'old' Road Fund Licence to the Vehicle Excise Duty, all because there was a surplus when all the RFL money was in and the Treasury saw this as an excuse to 'steal' the excess. They couldn't do it legally unless they changed the basis of the fund, so on the last day of Parliament; the Treasury slipped a paper out 'confirming' the change to VED, no discussion or consultation, it just passed 'un-noticed'.

The result, our roads, of which we were once so proud, are in a dreadful state. In the early seventies when in France I laughed at the appalling maintenance of the 'departement' roads and how well our State run road system coped with 'B' roads. Oh how things have changed in the interim. The State, when not called to account, just gets greedier, does less and becomes complaisant.

We will contribute £55,000,000,000 to the Treasury just for the 'privilege' of driving in the year 2000-2001, that's right Fifty-five Billion Pounds, much of our time is spent feeling guilty (for driving at all), oppressed (we are hounded by the Authorities), and taken for Suckers.

I use the word 'privilege' because that is how our Driving Licence is issued, in almost every other 'Free World' Country it is a 'Right' not a 'Privilege' and until that 'mindset' is changed here.
###
we are up ****-creek...

It is now just another 'pool' tax... so the chances of changing it to be something that has direct added value, ie Add a few quid to give basic cover is nil!... you pay... you DO NOT get something directly in return...

[Edited by Mycroft - 5/16/2003 10:45:28 AM]
Old 16 May 2003, 10:46 AM
dnb
Scooby Regular

I've always said the same ad Badger as well...

I don't see the issue with lower CC cars??? They are supposed to use less fuel, hence in the new scheme, they will pay less tax. It gives the system a bit of a green edge as well - keep the environmentalists happy.

Oh and when you get insurance, why not have a scheme where you have to show your MOT certificate, as well as the Cat 1 alarm certificate and the tracker certificate?

Or simply have an MOT disc and an insurance disc. Lorry drivers have had 2 discs in the window for ages. (tax and operators licence) so I don't see the problem. (Other than it would put a load of beurocrats out of work...)
Old 16 May 2003, 10:53 AM
fin
Scooby Regular

Angry

i agree with chip but as i read the other it just reminds me this place is FU^ked i hate these money robbing BAST$RDS
Old 16 May 2003, 10:54 AM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Or you get an insurance disc, but it has to be validated with a sticker (could be holographic or otherwise secure) from an MOT station or successful pass of MOT. You'd need to get MOT and insurance within a week of each other, but it normally falls like that anyway. VED could be collected via insurance companies - just hike the insurance premium tax on motor insurance.
There are so many easy options, its shocking how badly it's currently administered.
Old 16 May 2003, 11:08 AM
Mycroft
Scooby Regular

FYI

Information contained below by kind permission of Dr. Morse-Wiltshire.[AKA Mycroft/V-Bird] Original text Copyright protected 1998.

Extract...

###
In 1997 it was estimated that adding just £75 to every yearlong 'TAX DISC' would provide basic cover for third party risks... the system this Institute has outlined would also make a small profit which would also benefit the Government Department... additional 'Fully Comprehensive' cover could be purchased through the normal existing means...
###

It can be done and it has been put forward by many... it has even been costed... it would be about 35% cheaper for the same cover using the very simple system we advocated...

[Edited by Mycroft - 5/16/2003 11:11:41 AM]
Old 16 May 2003, 11:25 AM
Witchfinder
Scooby Regular

Join the ABD if you feel strongly about it. The Government are ripping off the motorist and giving nothing in return.
Old 16 May 2003, 11:58 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
The problem with BS's idea is that we pay car tax AND the gov put a penny on fuel regardless I mean, whats another penny when they've already put 60-odd on top already
Old 16 May 2003, 12:05 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Who gets the money from road tax? The government, so they want to ensure it's paid, hence the disc.
Who gets the money from insurance? The insurance companies, apart from a piddly bit of insurance tax, so the government aren't bothered.
Just look at what happens if you're stopped for no insurance by PC Traffic: a nice fine etc.
But if you're in an accident, and matey isn't insured, try getting PC Traffic interested? It's apparently, "A civil offence" so you'd have to take them to court yourself.
Grrrrrrr: they've got it both ways.
Alcazar
Old 16 May 2003, 12:07 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I wouldn't have a problem with paying road tax via fuel...if it wasn't already at 85%, they can **** off if they think they're gonna charge anymore!
Old 16 May 2003, 02:21 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

I don't think you've got much of a say, Bob!

It's a very easy target so they hammer us.
Old 16 May 2003, 03:23 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

mmm, I'll realised that as I typed it, I was hoping no one would notice though...bit like Gordon Brown I spose
Old 16 May 2003, 03:44 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

If I remember correctly, in Dublin you have to show a tax disc, mot type thing and insurance on the windscreen. I might be wrong though

Regardless, it's a bloody good idea!
Old 16 May 2003, 06:56 PM
Ian_S
Scooby Regular

A new database could then be set up with all cars registered in the UK on it.With new police No plate recognition vans being utilised now maybe we could get some of this scum off our roads.
It already is, the motor insurance database has been up and running now for a while, police and insurance companies have access to it.

the courts need to impose harsher fines and penalties as it is fines are less than the premiums