Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

any traders out there? Q re: taxing cars

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2003, 03:44 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can't.............

You can only tax the car with the V5 in the registered keepers name or the with the tax renewal, V10/11 can't remember which. Its to stop people driving without insurance, and also to prevent you doing exactly what you intended to do, escaping speeding tickets. So your going to have to register the cars in your name as the keeper or you don't tax the car.

Now the only other question that does remain unanswered is how do you tax a car for a customer, I'm assuming that aslong as you turn up with the V5, and complete the new keepers details for the Post Ofice to forward the form to the DVLA with the tax disc details, they will tax the car. The important bit being that they get the new owners details. Otherwise there are going to be a lot of used car owners waiting for the return of the V5 before taxing the car which will put the spanners in the works for used car dealers.
Old 11 May 2003, 04:21 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Its probably easier to just give them the paperwork and let them get on with it IMO.

Nath
Old 11 May 2003, 04:40 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To tax a car in a customers name you should fill in the paperwork - V10, reverse of V5 with the customers details and get an insurance certificate from them the day before they pick the car up.

With you or your wife driving a car in the previous owners name you are liable for a £1000 fine (maybe points as well?) for failing to notify change of keepers
Old 11 May 2003, 04:50 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

That doesnt really apply to Traders/Dealers as the chances are they have filled the red part of the V5 and notified DVLA that its in there possesion. If they haven't, it can be done on the day, they get "stopped"...bit naughty I know, but so is speeding!

In an ideal world you can follow the rules to the letter...

I was under the impression that the new policy concerning taxing cars, was to eliminate "clones" or "copycats" as there called. But with all that happening a load of different numbered blank V5's have gone missing from/via DVLA.

It seems the only way to deal with the taxing on behalf of customers is to have their Insurance note in advance and go from there. Otherwise, it turns into a headache.

Nath
Old 11 May 2003, 07:03 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

Smile

is it not to do with how the insurance certifcate is worded.
Old 05 November 2003, 02:06 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

i realise the laws have changed i used to be able to tax the cars for some peeps before they pick them up etc, but now ben told car has to be in my name to tax it WTF?? how do ya do it now?

i used to fill in a v62 in new keepers name
fill out a v10
use me trade policy and everythin was rosy

i lent me cirtificate to me dad other day to tax a car and they refused him

also i want to tax me missis car(well mine she uses it lol) which is still in someone elses name as its due so am wonderin how i do that now.

i know its wrong but i never use cars registered in my name had enough of the ferkin goverment taking money off me for speeding and all the other stupid crap

[Edited by apples24 - 5/11/2003 2:10:40 PM]