Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Off to Eygpt , Nabq Bay........Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2003, 01:28 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Worked out there a couple of years ago. You'll need a nice load of injections, so go and see your doctor, or goto one of the BA Travel Clinics. Depending on when you are travelling, I think some of the injections need to done about 4 weeks prior to leaving.

Water (certainly in Cairo) is generally OK. It is very heavily chlorinated and you can smell it when you shower. For that reason, bottled water is better to drink and do the usual trick of avoiding ice in drinks as well.

Assuming you are flying into Cairo, taking a taxi ride is an experience you will never forget. Normally a knackered old Fiat that has done half a billion miles, no seatbelts, lights / brakes are optional extras and their right hand will be surgically attached to the horn

Security is very tight at the airports, so be prepared to have your luggage scanned many times and searches are quite common.

Very nice people who couldn't make you more welcome. Remember that you barter for most things and agree taxi prices in advance of getting into the cab. That said, the definition of being ripped off in a cab would be paying £4 when you should have paid £3!

Cheers
Chris

Lots of info on the Lonely Planet website.

[Edited by Chris L - 5/2/2003 1:33:18 PM]
Old 02 May 2003, 12:58 PM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Never been out to Eygpt before so anyone shed some do's, don'ts and general views......

7 nights to be spent at the SeaClub hotel..

J
Old 02 May 2003, 01:30 PM
CarpetCleaner
Scooby Regular

might be an idea to paint your face a shade of brown and wear a tea towel over ya bonce

no way would I got to Egypt at the moment...they hate our guts
Old 02 May 2003, 01:36 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Don't believe everything you read in the press. When I was out there, it was just after a load of western tourists had been shot dead by some militant Islamic group. To read the papers, you would have belived that any westerner setting foot in Egypt would be killed.

Nothing could be further from the truth. As in most Arab countries, they can't do enough to make you welcome. Don't assume that the small minority of extremists is representative of all Arabs - they are not.

Chris
Old 02 May 2003, 02:34 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Carpet Cleaner you've obviously have never been to Egypt, so give up with the juvenile comments.

The locals are very friendly, yes there has been a bit of upset due to the Iraq conflict, and its best to be a bit more cautious, but you are not going to get any trouble in a resort hotel. Outside of there or moving around Cairo, if you get asked where you are from, a little white lie wouldn't hurt. My father favours saying he is from Cyprus at the moment, which is OK, they are just looking for people from western europe or the US to hassle sometime. Oh if you're black try Nigeria, it works well for my Dad's US friend. You won't be any physical danger, just they'll call Bush a badman etc etc.

When taking a taxi from the airport, you'll need to look to pay half what he first asks, and even then you'll be paying 5 times what a local will. So don't be afraid to argue the point, its all part of the fun and games, and have the correct money for the fair ready when you get out, othewise they can be ***** when giving change, the usual trick is to dig out a handful of filthy old notes of very small denominations, counting into your hand slowly, if you get this trick just keep your hand out and wait for him to finish. They'll be hoping you'll give up before they hand over the required amount.

At the end of the day you get a handy supply of small notes to tip the toilet attendants, you tip all the toilet attendants, 1 Egyptian Pound is the what you should look to leave, again its more than a local would. One tip though hand over the tip (bukshish) before you wash your hands, like I say the money gets very dirty, best wash the germs off after handling the money.

As for the searches at the airport, they are looking for anything they can tax you on. Do not keep a your camcorder in site if you are taking one, they love to slap a charge on them. Don't forget that when you arrive you'll have to pay for your tourist visa, its 15 US dollars. When you get into the terminal seek out the visa booth ASAP and get it paid (unless you have bought it prior to travel), then go through passport control. Other than that, only drink bottled water, and buy it from larger shops, not the stalls, again avoid the ice in drinks anywhere, unless you are in a western owned chain hotel, Marriot, Sheraton etc etc

And as for the driving style in Cairo its very specific. Its not all indiscrimate honking. Cars approaching you from behind will be flashing their lights, assuming they have any that is, warning they about to race past you, as they get along side then they will hit the horn, so its more flash flash honk honk. You see the flashing of the lights gave them automatic right of way in their mind so they're just reminding you they are going to come past, come what may, when they toot. Either that or your too slow off the traffic lights.

[Edited by Reffro - 5/2/2003 2:38:21 PM]
Old 02 May 2003, 02:36 PM
CarpetCleaner
Scooby Regular

only takes one nutter in the kitchens to stick ricin in the food
Old 02 May 2003, 02:49 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

ANOTHER HOLIDAY J !!!! 'kin 'ell. This bloke has more holidays than Judith Chalmers........
Old 02 May 2003, 03:17 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

LOL @ druddle

I vote CarpetCleaner for the position of 'Scoobynet Prophet of Doom'

Chris
Old 02 May 2003, 03:26 PM
CarpetCleaner
Scooby Regular

am tellin ya.......I can seeee things in the foutcha

remember it only takes one nut brain.....remember that.....
Old 02 May 2003, 10:13 PM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Got back from Bali before the bombs went off...

Got back from Mexico with being stung by killer bees...

Got back from Thailand without SARS.....

Seems everywhere people go there is always something to watch out for

Choice is for 1 quick sunny week all inclusive in either Cyprus, Tenerife or Eygyt... Just fancied Eygpt as I've never been there before.

Cheers all

J
Old 03 May 2003, 08:23 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

ScoobySnack.
Egypt is a wonderful place, shame you are only going for a week.
Old 03 May 2003, 10:46 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

One word of advice. Don't be tryin to open up any tombs in the pyramids there. Bad things will happen to you. And under no circumstances should you ever try to read any text in ancient Egyption found from the pyramids. We dont want a horde of the Scorpion's king army running about now do we?

Being good friends with Oded Fher also helps a lot too to ensure your survivability..
Old 03 May 2003, 08:59 PM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Well it looks like Nabeq Bay it is then ...........

J