Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2003, 12:21 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

Been down the pub and went to the indian and when i walked out a foreign guy was getting a kicking and asked for his money [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] I walked over and told the guys to f*ck off but I am not that big but they listened We know the foreign guy from the pub and he was very distressed and bleeding, we tried calling the police but his phone had no credit What would you do? I could have got a good kicking but for some reason didn't why?

Paul (had his dinner now )

[Edited by paulpalmer - 4/23/2003 12:23:04 AM]
Old 23 April 2003, 12:46 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
I hope I'd do the same. Never know when the proverbial hits the fan though.
Old 23 April 2003, 07:45 AM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you did the guy a favour Paul, and subsequently did the right thing. I'm hardly a big bloke either, but I would always try and stop someone from getting a kicking if I could.

Well done to you

It's a shame too many others just walk by and ignore something like that .
Old 23 April 2003, 07:53 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Good for you. Brave guy.
A mobile phone does not need credit or even a sim card to make a 999 call.

Saw a girl being used as a football by her other half once. Gave him a verbal reprimand but she told us where to go. Obviously would have got an even bigger battering if we got physical.
Shame really.
Old 23 April 2003, 08:25 AM
mwp
Scooby Regular

nice one - not sure many would have done that.

you have to be careful thou .... i saw some bloke getting a very minor kicking and started to walk over, as i got nearer it became obvious from the "discussion" being had during the kicking that the guy on the floor had just nicked the other guy's wife's handbag.

it seemed like a fair deal in return for no police activity - on both sides of the transaction.
Old 23 April 2003, 10:19 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Smile

I didn't want to call 999 just the local police Maybe I should have called 999 but it's too late now Thanks for the comments I am not sure the other half will be so happy with me for stepping in Hopefully the guy is ok today because he was bleeding quite a bit from his face and seemed very upset It's all on cctv round there and we (my mate was waiting for me in the car when this kicked off and he hadnt seen it ) were talking to the guy for a while before we gave him a lift home and the police never showed.

Paul

[Edited by paulpalmer - 4/23/2003 10:20:17 AM]
Old 23 April 2003, 10:39 AM
Crush
Scooby Regular

'kin ell!

The thing is, it's hard to say what the right thing is, cause you don't know why he's being done in . I always look to avoid trouble, so I would more than likely have done a runner myself.

I reckon they legged it cause they don't want anything to do with someone that looks like they will stand up for themselves nice work though
Old 23 April 2003, 10:47 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

When you call 999 from your mobile, the operator will know which area you call from. If really worried, dial 999, put the mobile in your pocket and let the operator "hear" whats going on.
What you did, in the situation, was the right thing. I'm only posting for info if it happens [hope it doesn't] again.
Old 23 April 2003, 11:01 AM
daiscooby
BANNED

I tend to take this view.
If its one on one and reletively evenly balanced, same sex, same rough build, same rough age. Leave alone. You don't know what, why or how it all started.
If it is:
Multiple on one.
Man on woman.
Man on boy / girl.
Man / Woman on senior citizen.
Have a chat.
The one thing the Army teaches you is how to assess situations very quickly. And another thing you are taught is the right words can have a huge impact on ugly situations. If you can draw the assailants attention without danger to yourself, you break the flow. This in itself can help. But always allow the authorities to take any action and never set youself up as judge and jury.

Good on you for taking positive action, to many people stand aside and walk away.
Old 23 April 2003, 11:04 AM
RB170
Scooby Regular

If I was getting a kicking then I'd hops that someone would step in and help me out.
Old 23 April 2003, 01:25 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for the info and comments Today I am kicking myself that I didn't call the police though It was two guys beating up one foreigner and demanding money from him this is not on and I should have reported it [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] When I went up to them they tried to defend themselves by saying that he had tried chatting up one of their girlfriends So does that give you a right to beat someone when they are on the floor and demand their money?

Paul
Old 23 April 2003, 02:56 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Well done Paul, not many around these days will help in such a situation.

Les
Old 23 April 2003, 03:00 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Well done Paul, would like to think i would do the same.
Old 23 April 2003, 03:07 PM
Red Scooby widdow
Scooby Regular

Good on Ya Paul. I too had an incident once when two big guys came into the shop I owned and one tried to distract me whilst the other was on his way to the back room and my purse etc. I saw him and dunno where the voice came from but yelled at him "oiy, get out of there, you're not allowed in there go on get out of this shop !" I shot back to the till and just stood there listeneing to his pathetic excuses about thinking there were more shop goods back there etc.He eventually left, closely followed by his mate who thought I was thick enough to think they weren't together. I called the police who took about 45 mins to come. It wasn't until I got an unrelated phone call from my son that it all hit me and I started to realise just what could have happened. There were axes, hammers, allsorts of stuff within arms reach!! To say my legs turned to jelly is an understatement !Never the less. If put in that situation again, I'm sure I'd react the same way , no way was anyone going to rob me after all my hard graft !
We do what we do at the time.
Old 23 April 2003, 05:48 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks

I just went to my local police station to have a word with them but they shut at 16:00

Paul
Old 23 April 2003, 06:02 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Well done. I'd say you did the right thing, but you should file a police report. It could be someone else the next night. Ok the police may do nothing but then at least you can say you did all you can.

I stopped a bloke beating up his missus once... wasn't sure whether to do it or not then suddenly found myself pulling him off. I wasn't aggressive, just said that there were people watching and phoning the police and he seemed to come to his senses.

What worries me about all this talk of letting it be, if people weren't willing to have a go there would be very little deterrant for people comitting these crimes.

Maybe, just maybe, the thought that someone would rush over and help his victim might be enough to disuade hime from comitting the crime.
Old 24 April 2003, 12:08 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Red face

See part two [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]