Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

please help...got flea bites all over me ankles

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2003, 03:21 PM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

i walked round a chicken shed and sat in a house with three dogs at the weekend and my ankles are covered in bites.....is my house or my car infested as well as my shoes
Old 22 April 2003, 03:23 PM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

probably
Old 22 April 2003, 03:38 PM
daiscooby
BANNED

Might not be fleas. Chickens carry things called red mites. Are you sure its fleas ?.
Old 22 April 2003, 03:42 PM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

dai' i dont know. they look like nat bites and itch like mad
Old 22 April 2003, 03:44 PM
Badger Stuffer
Scooby Regular

Hold a lit cigarette as close to the bites for as long as you can. This will stop them itching.
Old 22 April 2003, 03:44 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

get the flea stuff from your vets, one sort for your dogs and one for your carpets/soft furnishings, don't use shop bought stuff, it's useless.

Flea's don't bite me, but they see the Mrs as an all you can eat buffet so we regularly spray before we even see fleas.
Old 22 April 2003, 03:49 PM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

REV, it must have been the inlaws dogs or summat. we have no pets. do i still need to fumigate the whole place.....this is ****. i dont need a big white van with "FUMIGATORS" splashed all over it parked outside my gaf....what will the neighbours think
Old 22 April 2003, 03:51 PM
Badger Stuffer
Scooby Regular

what will the neighbours think
That you have fleas....
Old 22 April 2003, 04:08 PM
Mice-Elf
Scooby Regular

If you have flea bites, it's entirely possible that one has travelled with you on your clothing into your house. Sounds daft but get some flea collars from a pet shop and put them in your hoover bag. Then if any eggs or fleas are hoovered up, the collar will kill them.

Dust your house with flea powder (only have to leave it on the carpet for 30 minutes) and then hoover up. Treat all bedding.

Advise friends that their dogs need the Advantage Flea Injection.
Old 22 April 2003, 04:12 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

We had this problem last summer - only it was our two cats playing with a dead hedgehog

I to have the same problem re: itching etc. our cats were on Bob Martins flea treatment but it didn't work. The only thing we found that finally got the fleas out the house was the flea bombs, they're red and black (can't remember the manuafturers name, sorry ) and you essentially set them off in a closed room and go out for a couple of hours! And believe me, we tried everything beforehand, all the sprays etc That was the only thing to work

...now the cats (all 5) are attacked with Frontline everymonth - no more problems
Old 22 April 2003, 04:19 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Might not be fleas. I suffered from odd bites on my ankles couldn't stop scratching them despite fantastic will power(stopped smoking, 20-30 a day to nothing, just stopped) However couldn't stop scratching these bites. I have no pets and havent been to any farms etc. They plagued me for about a week then just went away.
Old 22 April 2003, 04:28 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Another possibility is water fleas. Is your office near a stream / river / brook or something?

Occasionally offices can get infected as they travel in on peoples' shoes.

Have used flea bombs before, but it leaves powder EVERYwhere. Now I just get the vet to inject the lot of them with the 6 monthly injection.
Old 22 April 2003, 06:12 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

We have them in our apartment, despite having no pets. I've sprayed it six times with poison in the last 8 mths, and they're still coming back. I don't really like sleeping in a poisoned bedroom. The more I talk to other people, the more it seems like a fact of life here. I'm OK, but poor wifey is now scarred for life from scratching all her bites. They are savage ba5tards.

Flea collars - never thought of that, wonder if she wears a couple of them on her ankles at night, perhaps they'll work? Sounds odd, but trying to sleep in full jim-jams in over 30C in summer ain't pleasant either.

Is it true that there are different types of fleas? Dog fleas, cat fleas, etc? And do they react to different types of poison or collars?
Old 22 April 2003, 06:21 PM
yoza
BANNED

Talking

Catch them,and we can all start making a piece of equipment each,for our own Scooby-net Flea Circus.....
Old 22 April 2003, 06:37 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Brendan - another method you can use is to get a plant demister and put in there a few drops of Tea Tree oil and a few drops of Lemon Oil. Mix and lightly spray your bed and sheets with the concoction. Fleas hate the smell and leave.

There are different types of fleas, yes.
Old 22 April 2003, 06:46 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Some information on lifecycle of flea here.

Click on How do fleas live?

[Edited by Mice_Elf - 4/22/2003 6:48:36 PM]
Old 22 April 2003, 08:26 PM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

thanks for the advice
Old 22 April 2003, 09:45 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks Mice, we'll try it. We already tried lavender scent but extra scars say that didn't work. I think this could turn into a "There's only one way to get rid of a mole" -type thread!

OMG, just read that site....
Where a wild female rabbit may give birth to 30-40 young in a year, a female flea can lay 30-40 eggs in just one day. When your pet gets fleas, eggs fall off the animal, wherever it goes in your house. After around three days, these eggs hatch into worm-like larvae that move away from light and downwards, meaning that they are usually found deep in carpet pile. After 7-18 days, they pupate. Not the latest dance fad, but the process by which they spin a protective cocoon around themselves and develop into adults. Inside the cocoon, they are almost impervious to insecticides. In fact, about the only thing that will get them during this stage of their life cycle is a blowtorch (which is perhaps a bit extreme for most people!). It takes between 5-14 days for fleas to develop inside the cocoon, after which they are triggered to hatch in response to vibration, or the carbon dioxide exhaled by a passing host. But in the absence of a trigger, they can survive inside the cocoon for up to nine months.
Little BA5TARDS!!

Nice tip about turning the heating and humidity up though! Will try that on the next Duke Nukem spree!

[Edited by Brendan Hughes - 4/22/2003 9:51:42 PM]