Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dog Training

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2003, 12:09 PM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone sent their dog away for residential behavioral training? I'm having real problems training my rescue dog and this seems to be my last resort. It's gonna cost £250 for 2 weeks so I want to know if it works before I splash out?!

The last straw with my beloved pooch was when I was out walking him the other night. I let him off his lead in, as far as I could see, 'empty' field thinking he can't possibly get into any trouble. Lost sight of him (he went down a dip in the field), next thing I know, he's nipping the ankles of a very distressed cow. He managed to heard around 20 up (including 2 very annoyed bulls). He only came back to me when he was exhausted. I was so angry and upset, I was hoping the farmer would come out and shoot him (not nice but I was on the verge of killing him myself!).

Anyway, has anyone any experience of sending dogs away for training?
Old 22 April 2003, 12:30 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Too expensive red dog

Friend of mine is an animal behavioural therapist and she reckons most things can be cured within a couple of visits and sorry to say this mate but alot of the time the problem lies with the owner (not suggesting this in your case just mentioning waht she always says ). Hence a residential course seems a bit of a waste of time.

You definetely need to be there with him
Old 22 April 2003, 10:36 PM
Red Scooby widdow
Scooby Regular

I agree Red Dog, I had to re-home one of my dogs a few years ago because of divorce etc. The lady who had her was very nice but wasn't firm enough. She phoned me a few times about variuos things. I gave her good advice but in the end she called in a dog trick cyclist. And guess what ? Yes, this person (for many bags of silver) told her exactly the same things that I had ! Basically as you have been advised, get someone reputable in and go through the paces with your own dog. With the correct guidance and oodles of common sensse you can get on top of this snag. Good Luck !