Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Grade II listed

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2003, 11:25 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone know what cvan and can't be done to a grade II listed building. I need to do some renovations (major) and what to get an idea of what I can and can't do.

Tried an online search but as expected got a load of crap results.

cheers,

matt.
Old 21 April 2003, 11:31 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try making a quick call to your local planning office in the morning, it's not straght forward, I know that much!
Old 22 April 2003, 12:10 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I think most of the stipulations will be specific to preserving the look of the exterior of the building, however you should check with your local planning as they will be the ones who grant/deny any applications!
Old 22 April 2003, 12:42 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Talking

I'm a planning officer so fairly qualified to help. The most important thing I can tell you is that listed buildings are a nightmare and they are all listed for their own individual reasons. For this reason, before doing anything to the building (or putting down deposits) contact your local planning authority and discuss what you propose with them. They should keep you right from there

Also, ignore anything else thats said in this thread from here on in. You'd be suprised how many people think they know the planning system works. Normally I wouldn't be so blunt as this but if you **** around with a Grade II listed building you could get stung big time which is why I'm warning you

Good luck
Old 22 April 2003, 06:28 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

cheers chappies
Old 22 April 2003, 08:14 PM
DAVE-W
Scooby Regular

Smile

I'm with Saxo boy on this one....being in the trade myself

Listings ARE different for each individual building and DO NOT, as many people think on a grade II listing, only apply to exterior appearance and features.

I've even seen Contractors rummaging through skips looking for door handles of historical significance....I kid you not

Dave
Old 22 April 2003, 10:49 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

well the building in question is currently an office and is being changed from commercial to residental useage. There is nothing of any 'historical' or financial value within the super structure.

I will be after a good builder as long as everything gets accepted of course.
Old 22 April 2003, 11:43 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you need to know why the building is listed, I had a neighbours who's house was listed for several features, one was the front door, it was roten, so he put a sheet of plywood over it, the bods were happy with that, even though you couldn't see the door, there was also a n old bread oven in the house, that was bricked in, but it still there, so they were happy, find out why it's listed, and what you can and can't do, if they've already given permission to convert, they can't be too worried about what's going to be done!
Old 23 April 2003, 12:02 AM
londonpaul
Scooby Regular

its random - call the council - and be nice - it works wonders
Old 23 April 2003, 01:26 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Talking

its random - call the council - and be nice - it works wonders
The best advice you'll ever receive

As it says 'its random' some buildings are listed because of fancy internal period decor, some for external features (maybe just the one elevation), others because someone important lived their once (even though the building sucks it could still be listed for historical reasons) and so on!! Usually the descriptive list does little more than describe the building so often the planner has to determine what is and isn't of merit (yeah, like they teach that at uni!!!)

Ultimately if something 'materially affects the character and appearance of the listed building' then listed building consent will be required! The only body that can make that judgement call is the Local Planning Authority and usually in consultation with experts. Hence, call them