Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Good radar detector...

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2003, 10:03 AM
slacker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

the economy of hong kong has been going down the toilet since the brits left in 1997. to generate more revenue, the hong kong goverment get the traffic cops up to all sorts like setting up mobile speed cameras all day long. just a couple of days back I was unlucky to have been stopped doing 60mph in a 50 zone because normally everyone including public bus drivers do at least 70mph on this stretch and this means 3 points and a $450 fine (that's around 40 quid).

anyway to cut a long story short, I think the police kuntstables are after anything with a wing so my brand new STi fits the bill perfectly. I know there have been countless links to radar sites...but can any help me out here. I'm running out of money and points fast!

does anyone know if you have to get these fitted by the firms involved or can you buy these and get them done seperately?

cheers,
simon
Old 21 April 2003, 12:12 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Slacker

Are there any places around you where you can wind your Scoob up and start to enjoy it properly. I have visited HK a few times but always had to remain in the populated areas. Maybe you can drive a bit faster in the New Territories, never got out in that direction.

As far as I know, the radar detectors are not too difficult to fit yourself. I cant recommend one since I have not got one yet but am thinking about the Snooper Neo 6. I dont know whether the the GPS side would be any good to you in HK though. Mabe the Snooper S5 would be right for you.

Les

[Edited by Leslie - 4/21/2003 12:16:37 PM]
Old 21 April 2003, 03:28 PM
slacker
Scooby Regular

thanks for the info les, appreciate it! i will look it up on the net.

i really don't know where to start looking here, I was thinking about getting one from the UK and then have someone out here to fix it up for me.

as for going a bit faster, the fastest speed limit is 110km/h (that's around 68mph) which is the highway running to the new airport and on that stretch of road just about every car is an unmarked police car. even if i put my foot slighty on the gas, i'd be in danger losing my license (i think i've already got 9 points (we get 15 out here))

the funny thing is (so the guys down at subaru tell me) that some scoobs when taken in for servicing have over 260km/h (that's 160mph+) recorded on the turbo timers...so where the blinkin flip do you suppose these guys do this? personally i don't think i could go that fast as my pants would have been filled when touching 150mph.

[Edited by slacker - 4/21/2003 3:31:31 PM]
Old 21 April 2003, 03:32 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

check out ukspeedtraps site lots of good info & all u need do 4 radar detectors is plug into ciggy lighter & stick to suitable spot in windscreen easy money they only using radar & not laser then??
Si
Old 21 April 2003, 03:39 PM
slacker
Scooby Regular

si cheers for that (Y) (it's the thumbs up icon on MSN)

i don't know what they used on me but i got caught...but like you said good chance it's a laser.

pluggin detectors into a ciggy lighter sounds good and is something i think i can handle