Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Advice for back support when lifting weights

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2003, 05:42 PM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I'm getting back into doing some working out after breaking my arm in an accident.

All I am doing is press ups and a few exercises with only 30kg on an EZ curl bar.

My back is killing me today and I think this is probably due to the standing curls with the EZ bar.

Should I wear a back support belt when doing this? What sort? What is the cause? I've found one of those neopropane (sp) type belts lying around - is this ok?

Thanks in advance...
Old 10 April 2003, 06:27 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

Think your lifting too much then.

I used a belt everything i do.

makes sense to project the back.

Ours are provided by the gym, but im looking at getting a comp. belt. £90
Old 10 April 2003, 06:55 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You may also have weaker abs or lower back muscles. It's worth doing plenty of sit-ups and dorsals raises to give your torso more support. I'd reduce the weight first off and start on the situps and raises. Just make sure you use the correct form and perform them nice a slowly otherwise you may pull a muscle.

You could do some pullups - underhand and overhand to keep working your arms.

I don't lift weights myself anymore; just plenty of circuit training with bodyweight.

If you want to use weights, why not switch to dumbbells and do some seated curls or incline curls. That way the bench prtects your back and your isolating your arms more.

Stefan
Old 10 April 2003, 07:19 PM
medders
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I always wear a belt when doing ez curls. Get a valeo or something similar. More comfortable I find than a leather one.

Paul
Old 10 April 2003, 07:46 PM
fundimental
Scooby Regular

STRETCH, before training, touch your toes and hold, some back pain can be down to tendons in the legs tightening up, i agree with the ab training but also do hyperextensions, i think they are the best for lower back strength, leather belts are not the best if you look at someone squatting while wearing a leather belt you will see it comes away from their back when they are at the bottom of the squat, the neoprene ones mould to the back the best. and stop moving while curling, any momentum takes the stress from the bicep and its going into the other moving part of you, your back. keep it strict.
Old 10 April 2003, 07:48 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

Dead lifting is best for the back i love it
Old 10 April 2003, 08:21 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

akshay - you're curling 30kg? If so, that's a lot. I see guys hoist 30kg barbells up doing curls in all sorts of back-straining ways. Some options;

Reduce the weight. Forget what the guy next to you is doing, it's irrelevant.

Do your curls leaning against a wall, as upright as you can. You'll soon see if you're using muscles other than your biceps to lift the bar.

Do other exercises. Concentration curls, standing or seated alternate dumbell curls, preacher bench curls - there are loads of alternatives.

Using a belt for all exercises in my opinion and experience is a mistake. It doesn't allow your lower back muscles to develop fully, and it can mask an injury, meaning you might carry on when you should stop. Even on heavy lifts such as squats, deadlifts and so on, you should always remove a belt between sets to allow blood to circulate more freely, and to make anything that doesn't feel quite right apparent more quickly.
Old 10 April 2003, 11:29 PM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the advice guys.

TelBoy - it's 30kg on an EZ bar - so it's split between both arms - I'd be lucky to dumb bell curl 30kgs!

I did use the belt today (1st time ever) and it made a MASSIVE difference - admittedly I got less reps, but thats because they were more intense and concentrated. Also, it was much easier to do press ups.

I think I may have to work on strengthening my back using some of the techniques mentioned above. Working out at home and being semi-injured means I don't get to excercise all the parts I'd like to.

I'm a bit worried about what TelBoy said about using the belt to lift weights...is this an isolated case or has anyone else experienced trouble?
Old 11 April 2003, 10:01 AM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't use a belt - you should build up your lower back to support you. Don't let a belt cover up poor technique.