Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Help on sleep training puppy please!

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2003, 10:02 PM
GarnetFox
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

I've just become the proud owner of an 8 week Jack Russell pup called Thimble. She's a lovely little thing and very cheeky, but, we're having trouble with training her to sleep in the dining room. We've got to establish a routine but she is howling the house down (how can so much noise come from something so small?? Can't you tell I've never had kids... ) and launching herself at the door, upsetting out 11 year old Springer cross too. I know we have to persevere for the best but any tips on easing it for her would be welcomed. Thanks!
Old 25 March 2003, 10:12 PM
steve G MAN
Scooby Regular

hiya mate give me an e mail and ill give you my number to call im a breeder know what you going through lol
Old 25 March 2003, 10:17 PM
GarnetFox
Scooby Regular

Cheers! Am talking to you on AOL as you know.
Old 25 March 2003, 10:20 PM
UFO
Scooby Regular

I think the best way is to make it sleep in the same room as the elder dog (if it's not already) and just leave them to it. We've got labs, first couple of nights with the new pup were loud, after that the bigger one just kept it quiet and they ended up sleeping all night without a sound and they are great mates which is a bonus. All you need is a little discipline, it's hard not to go and sort it out but you've got to be strong.

Good luck and enjoy.
Old 25 March 2003, 10:28 PM
GarnetFox
Scooby Regular

Cheers! It is heart breaking to hear her whine, and poor old Lucy (the Springer) can't wait to get away from the cheeky kid when the door opens! Poor old girl. Someone's suggested having the radio on low, and she already has a blanket that she knows the smell of. I have earplugs so I know I will be able to sleep tonight, I just pity Mum and Dad....

Here she is :

[Edited by GarnetFox - 3/25/2003 10:33:54 PM]
Old 25 March 2003, 10:48 PM
planky
Scooby Regular

Stick her in the bed with you...Im surprised your other dog aint keeping her company,my old staffy was a godsend when we got our rottie pup,we didnt have a peep out of her when she was a pup.
Old 25 March 2003, 10:56 PM
GarnetFox
Scooby Regular

I find that 2 puppies int he bed at once is enough thanks.

Lucy is a bit bewildered by this small noisy thing, but they are starting to become friends so she may help her yet.
Old 25 March 2003, 11:02 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

What a dude
Old 26 March 2003, 08:43 AM
scoobyangel
Scooby Regular

Talking

how long have you had her??

i know when my 2 were pups they howled the place down for nearly a week.... but i just ignored (or tried to) them and they settled down!!

Old 26 March 2003, 10:58 AM
GarnetFox
Scooby Regular

3 days, last night was her first night downstairs with the older dog. She howled for about 10 mins every hour, then wore herself out and slept for the rest of the hour. I had earplugs on soi managed to get a little sleep but apparently Mum and Dad werent so lucky.
Old 26 March 2003, 11:00 AM
jase555
Scooby Regular

with mine,

radio on quietly and a comforter, when i got the dog from the breeder the week before i gave her a blanket for the mothers smell etc

jase

ended up the bugger sleeps on the couch, not bothered as long as he is comfy
Old 26 March 2003, 11:24 AM
scoobyangel
Scooby Regular

foxy...give her a couple days.. she'll be fine!
Old 26 March 2003, 11:29 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

LOL - when my Labrador was a puppy she managed to dig her way through the plasterboard wall in the kitchen - how do you explain that to your landlords...
Old 26 March 2003, 01:12 PM
GarnetFox
Scooby Regular

Oh good! We have people staying for a week starting sunday night, so hope the howls stop by then!! You know, shes lovely when shes asleep.

We're trying to wean her off of play biting at the moment. Some books say yelp when she bites you, some say growl, both say to walk away if she wont stop so I've been doing that. Going to puppy training classes soon so they will help too, but any suggestions on stopping play biting?

Thanks for all the help btw.
Old 26 March 2003, 01:33 PM
scoobyangel
Scooby Regular

Talking

find out about "clicker training"... used this on my 2 and it was brilliant
Old 26 March 2003, 01:43 PM
luckie
Scooby Newbie

with the whinning at night its just one of those things uve got to put up with, it will end one day. with the play biting, if u whine loudly does she stop? you need to teach her the meaning of "no" and that its not to be taken lightly. ive a 16 week old basset hound and i have really struggled with him, i wasnt being stern enough so he walked all over me, his breeders came to see us in the home enviroment and gave us tips on where we were going wrong, i found it really hard to be strict with him, but its worked out now and he is alot better behaved, remember the longer she carries on nipping at you the harder it will be to stop in the end.
Old 26 March 2003, 02:08 PM
GarnetFox
Scooby Regular

When she bites I do a loud, growly OUCH and she looks at me in amazement. If 2 of these dont stop her while she's being petted, I walk away and ignore her, then a few mins later she wanders up to me and asks for attention. I give her attention and then do the same routine if she bites again.

Been going through the retrive and drop command with her. Not so good on retrieving, but I hold both ends of the bone as she has it in her mouth and say drop until she does. Then she gets a pet and a 'good girl' and I throw it again for her.

Will be trying clicker training soon, the puppy class trainer does it and I will ask her advice. Will pick up a clicker from a petshop in the meantime.

She's been a very picky eater but now we've sortedher out with her puppy mix every 3 hours. Shes being wormed too. Only 2 weeks then we can go out and have a walk!
Old 26 March 2003, 05:33 PM
planky
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yep,the bloody buggers have sharp teeth

Anyway goodluck and give it time.
Old 29 March 2003, 03:33 PM
GarnetFox
Scooby Regular

Well she's sleeping through the night! Only took one night of constant howling, now she quite happily dozes until 7am. Yay! Now we're working on leaving her at home for an hour at a time so we can do the shopping etc. Seems to be going well so far.

Have just had experience of destructive puppy-power, she ate my mobile phone charger. Thank heavens for Ebay though, I picked up a replacement for £7, they are £26 in the shops.