Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Treadmill - Precor or not?

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2003, 06:24 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

We've been looking at treadmills for a while for home (I like the idea of exercising in front of the TV!) and have had recurring advice to steer clear of retail ones. For the same money as a decent retail one we are being offered a refurbished Precor 964, as seen in many gyms.

Advice welcomed!

cheers
Gordo
Old 25 March 2003, 08:47 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Hi Gordo,

I looked at these but was seriously put off by the price. I've now put a Power Treadmill in my garage. I went for a Delta 'Easy-up' a couple of years back. It's a foldable model, weighs half a ton, and does 0-10mph, and 0-15 (ouch)degrees incline with (IIRC) a 3.5hp motor. I paid about £800 off the net for it brand new as it seemed the most powerful treadmill for the money as many of the retail ones I'd seen only had 1-2hp (Yes I'm a power freak on this as well!). I have been totally happy with it to date. It doesn't have hundreds of programs you don't use (how many settings on your washing machine do you use?) but it is built like a brick outhouse and has been very reliable and it's comfortable to run 5-10 miles on. There's basic info on the (5) displays, but that's fine when you're running in front of the TV It has gone wrong the once when out of guarantee and the customer service was absolutely excellent. They didn't even charge me for a home service and motor replacement (caused by my lack of maintenance). I've since bought a Rowing machine from the same guys as I'm so happy with the treadmill.

With the Precor and Tunturi stuff you see in gyms, IMHO I'm sure you're paying (partly) for the name but mainly the excellent build quality and heavy heavy duty motors. Do however bear in mind those machines are designed more to be in use all day every day in a gym environment. Unless you're a complete nutter and run all day every day, you're paying for goods way over the quality that are needed (Why buy a Porsche when you can have a Subaru?) If you're flush then go for it but whether you need to spend that money is another matter. Our treadmill has been used on average for 30-40 minutes a day for the last two years so it's hardly gathering dust and that proves the durability in my eyes. God this sounds like a sales pitch if ever I heard it Ah well I'll continue: "Delta - the Subaru of home fitness equipment "

Hope this helps. Anything else you need to know feel free to ask.
Joolz
Old 26 March 2003, 08:31 AM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Just re-read your post - If the refurb's good value then go for it - just make sure you know that it's come from a gym in an area of fatties so you know it hasn't been used heavily

Also, The 964's doesn't appear to be foldable - I hope you have a big house !

Joolz

[Edited by jbryant - 3/26/2003 8:37:45 AM]
Old 26 March 2003, 10:51 AM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate - the Precor is £2200 plus VAT. I know I'll use it but balking at the price. Time to bid lower me thinks

<pauses to stop myself ranting about having to pay VAT on second hand goods>

cheers
G