Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

advice/help/opinion

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2003, 02:45 PM
zero_to60
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My wife is 30 weeks pregnant and has just had an appointment with the midwife

Apparently the baby is not growing at the rate they'd expect and have said that she may have to have a cesarean at 35 weeks and then the baby goes in special care and is 'fed up' outside the womb

Has anyone else had any experience of this?

Should we be worried?
Old 25 March 2003, 02:49 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

ill ask my girlfriend as she works on a neonatal intensive care unit..!! but she was on nights last night. she will be up soon. Im sure its nothing to worry about, 35 weeks is a not far from being a term baby only 5 weeks..!

Dan
Old 25 March 2003, 02:54 PM
zero_to60
Scooby Regular

dhorwich

thanks that would be really great, I am a bit worried in case his brain may not be developing properly

I am not concerned if he is small just that he is healthy

Old 25 March 2003, 03:04 PM
T.C
Scooby Regular

If it is of any consolation, my wife suffered big time during her pregnancy with our daughter and had to be induced 6 weeks early. When our daughter was born she weighed a little over 3 pounds, but apart from being a titch and developing a touch of jaundice she was fine.

11 years on, despite suffering menigitis when she was 8, she is a strapping 5 foot plus, is top of her class at school in most subjects and has so much energy we simply can't keep up most of the time.

I am no expert, far from it, but I had the same concerns 11 years ago, and everything turned out fine. I wish you both well in any case.
Old 25 March 2003, 03:06 PM
Luke
BANNED

Wouldnt have a clue... But keep your love for each other tight and all will be well.
Old 25 March 2003, 03:07 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

she will be up soon, ill see what she says..! but im sure they have babies in like this all the time...

I think one of the ideas of the CS is to try and improve the development/growth of the baby including the brain.. I work in the pathology department at my local hospital and i can tell you there are numerous procedures of this kind..! so try not to worry..

Dan
Old 25 March 2003, 03:18 PM
zero_to60
Scooby Regular

thanks for this guys, it's appreciated

my wife rang me and she is worried and I am stuck at the office and can't leave til 5.30 so she'll be stewing on her own. Also we have no internet access at home so she can't even do a search on google

It's time's like these that focus the mind on what's really important in life. I try not to get involved in politics but I do feel for all the parents of both Iraqis and UK/US kids who are going through the toughest times, whatever 'side' they are on
Old 25 March 2003, 03:40 PM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

remember that babies don't develop the breast feeding instinct until abot 37 weeks, so make sure they tube feed until he's ready for the breast, rather than introduce the bottle coz he doesn't seem to want to breastfeed.

Our Casey was cut out early and Donna couldn't get him to breastfeed - the midwives said, oh well, give him a bottle. As happened with our second, he simply needed to go to nearly full term (outside of the womb though) before trying again. Unfortunately he latched on to bottles (which is different) and that was that.

Did that make sense?!

All will be fine, you'll see!
Old 25 March 2003, 03:42 PM
zero_to60
Scooby Regular

I sure hope so, kids are a worry right from when they are the size of a kidney bean upwards
Old 25 March 2003, 04:37 PM
SpongebobSquarepants
Scooby Newbie

Wink

<<<I sure hope so, kids are a worry right from when they are the size of a kidney bean upwards>>>
Don't worry m8, they get MUCH better as they grow older, especially when they get to be teenagers.........................
.NOT!!!!!!!!!!:
Spongebob