Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Am I the only one....

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2003, 12:55 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

...that finds the massive focus (in particular from Comic Relief) on the abuse of women from men a little biased

Granted guys tend to be more violent than women and more women than men are abused but you'd think that women never set a foot wrong and guys go around beating crap out 1 in 4 of them

What about guys that are hit?? Do you know frustraiting and how hard it is to contain the rage you feel when someone has hit you and society tells you that you can't defend yourself because its a woman. One of my ex's lunged at me with her claws (nails) out just because she found another girls phone number on the bill (a friend btw). The peeps at work the next day noticed the scars on my face and neck. I'm not blameless and I've done things in my life that I'm not proud of and I have let my anger get the better of me in the past. I just hate that some women seem to think its ok to hit a guy knowing fine well he won't/can't hit back

This is part of the reason I took up Kuk Sool: I've learned a number of non-damaging restraint techniques that I could employ in any future situations and I get to be in a mixed-sex environment with a degree of contact but most of all mutual respect for other humans irrespective of whether they are male or female.

Feel free to discuss

[Edited by Saxo Boy - 3/15/2003 12:57:06 AM]
Old 15 March 2003, 01:10 AM
G.W.Bush
Scooby Regular

Wink

[RANT]Are you crazy man ,you can't crtisize women,thats like saying that there are some economic migrants in this country that shouldn't really be here,IE Blatently racist,unfair,KKK etc Women can also take you to the cleaners when you split up and crazy PCness dare not resist, madness.
[and no i am not a mysoginist or racist,no really i'm not]
<Ali G> is it cos' i is a woman/imigrant/gay/lesbian/blonde/black/islamic/etc? </Ali G>[/RANT]
Old 15 March 2003, 01:13 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Cool

LOL
Old 15 March 2003, 06:53 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Angry

If you want to see insidious sexism at work, watch the adverts one evening. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Divide a page of a notepad into two columns. In the left column put a tick every time an advert belittles/takes the **** out of a man/men or a woman gets one over a man.
Now do the same in the right column, except for a man over a woman.
I'll bet my pension to a penny that your left column is WAY longer than your right one at the end of the evening.
And what do you think women would say/do if it was the other way round? Can you imagine some of those ads, aimed at women, and how long they'd be allowed to run for???
Alcazar
Old 15 March 2003, 10:21 AM
scooby-new
Scooby Regular

I reckon if anyone attacks you then you have the right to use whatever force is reasonable to stop them. A woman tried to glass me in the face on a night out in Cardiff a few years ago. As soon as I realised her plan I punched her full on in the face and I'm ashamed to say knocked her out cold. The police arrived and it turns out they knew the woman very well- the previous week she had stabbed another girl in the leg and glassed another guy!!
I had witnesses who all said I was entirely justified but I still felt bad about it. I guess sometimes you have to forget that they are the gentler sex and treat them as equals which after all is what we all want.
Old 15 March 2003, 10:33 AM
Scooby Dooby Blue
Scooby Regular

Red face

they are the gentler sex
ROTFLMFAO
Old 15 March 2003, 10:41 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I think this may put it into perspective:

Domestic violence is a taboo subject. Nobody wants to confront what goes on behind closed doors. We turn away when we see a bruised woman in the street,and as a society we play down the levels of abuse every day. Take the time out to read these domestic violence statistics - they may surprise you.

The facts:

A woman is raped, stabbed or beaten every six seconds.

In England and Wales two women are murdered each week through domestic violence.

One in four UK women will become domestic violence victims at some point in their lives.

One in nine is experiencing domestic violence NOW.

Statistics suggest that world-wide, 52 per cent of women have been assaulted by a partner at some point in their lives.

The world health organisation claims that, worldwide, violence causes as many deaths among women as traffic accidents, malaria and cancer put together.

According to a recent survey UK police forces receive more than 1,300 domestic violence related calls every day - that's more than 570,000 each year.

In 2000, the Women's Aid National Domestic Violence Helpline took 35,000 calls from abused women. In the first six months of 2001 the number of calls to this helpline was 32,600, roughly double the figure for 2000.

I think that you have to think about the damage an angry man can do to a woman rather than a woman to a man. There are cases of domestic violence towards men, but I'm sure it is no way near as common as against women.

I have never been a victim thank God and have never lashed out in anger at a man.

Think about it. 2 women a week are murdered through domestic violence, and that's just England and Wales. Is this loss of live not important?

Trending Topics

Old 15 March 2003, 10:59 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How is it women get their own swimming sessions at the local baths, they get their own gym at the place I go to, the blokes dont get their own area, they have to put up with women leering at out masculine curves......

Whilst I agree with Clare to a and its a serious issue I can see what Saxo Boy is saying, I do feel a bit marginalized for being a white, heterosexual, PAYE male these days.
Old 15 March 2003, 11:30 AM
matty01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you want to see insidious sexism at work, watch the adverts one evening.
Divide a page of a notepad into two columns. In the left column put a tick every time an advert belittles/takes the **** out of a man/men or a woman gets one over a man.
Yup,i don't blame the women for this ,but if the tables were turned there would be a freekin' riot ,but it's only putting men down,so that's ok then ...equality,schmequality ...
Old 15 March 2003, 12:52 PM
Mr evolution
Scooby Regular

Home office statistics indicate 6.6 miliion acts of domestic violence each year split evenly between men and Women. Most of the 'facts' above seem to be statistics which are completely different to facts.
I'm not saying it isn't an important issue but a woman who is the victim of domestic violence does have support if she can find it while a man will just get ridiculed. I also think you need to remember that some people deserve to get hit.
Old 15 March 2003, 12:58 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

the gentler sex
LOL, I know some 'gentler girls' that could brake several of my bones before I had a chance to blink

I know what you mean about the adverts, they can really hack me off as well. You know the Focus one with the b1tch that spells out 'No' in the dirt - I'd love to refilm that so that the camera zooms into the plane to the guy who's sitting next to some hot mistress with big *****

Clare I don't deny that its far worse for women but I think a lot of women would attack a guy (even just a slap) and it would never be registered as a 'statistic'. How many guys here have been slapped hard at some point but thought no more of it, maybe even figured you deserve it. Now reverse the rolls! Imagine you were in a nightclub and some lass sleezed on you and pinched your ***, etc. Assume for a minute you didn't take her home and sh@g her brains out (which lets face it most of us would ) but instead did what some lasses would do an whack her one. You'd no doubt be done for assult after the bouncers beat you to a pulp!!

I've had a girl lay into me for a fair while and with little damage but I know that one punch from me would end it - this isn't the issue IMO. When I get hit from anyone the adrenaline (sp?) flows so much that I could be a slight slap or tyson himself and I don't feel it. The real damage is the mental damage from having someone else react voilently to you. It doesn't matter if a lass is hoplessly hitting away at a guy and doing no damage there is no excuse for it in the first place!
Old 15 March 2003, 02:50 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Someone find the statistic for domestic violence which leads to the murder of the man.
Old 15 March 2003, 05:21 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

The problem with that clare is that if a women was being that violent then eventually the guy would click and go into basic animal self-defense mode and lets face it, the guy 9/10 will come off best. Ironically though he'll probably be charged for whatever he had to do to defend himself

BTW, I'm just back from Kuk Sool and it was somewhat amusing watching one of the white belt girls (a real fiesty one) beat the *** off one of the brown belts in sparing

I remember I was once parked up a side street waiting for some mates when a guy ran across my field of vision along the main street. A few seconds later a crazed lass was chasing him with a 14" bread knife Two seconds after her was a copper in uniform with trunchon drawn! I was PMSL at the time but looking back it was pretty serious and I honestly believe she'd have plunged it into him if the copper hadn't caught her first!!
Old 15 March 2003, 11:51 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

There is one rule for women and a different rule for men how many places are there for men to go when they are a victim of domestic violence and how many for women?

Why does the court not give rights of access to the biological father if he is not married but expect him to pay.

Adverts are another area for discrimination againts men now the Fiat one really winds me up but what is the point of complaining we suppose to be mature enough to take this in our stride.
Old 16 March 2003, 09:03 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Why does the court not give rights of access to the biological father if he is not married but expect him to pay.
Because if they don't get it, the woman would continuously nag and nag the judge for it. Women are evil. Here's a mathematical proof if you don't belive me:

Women = Time x Money

But,

time = money

Therefore

Women = money x money
= money^2

But

Money = /Evil

Hence

Women = (/Evil)^2

Therefore

Women = Evil

Maths never lies..

Old 16 March 2003, 11:47 AM
matty01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Katana , now THATS what i call a line of thought
Old 16 March 2003, 10:35 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

Clarebabes, I honestly cannot believe those statistics,

1 in 9 is being abused now is the worst one, thats bordering on impossible. Take an average weekday, unless there was serious abuse going on within the workplace it just isnt possible.

Either that or the term abuse has been so far distorted that its now called wingy. If you said 1 in 9 women is wingy at all times you would probably be spot on.

Statistics are just lies ir guesses, its just hard to spot the grey line that runs down the middle.

robski
Old 17 March 2003, 12:10 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Clarebabes - I personally don't dispute the figures (not sure how the 1:9 at this moment is worked out but nonetheless, I'll take it as read).

What are the figures for men? I don't dispute anything you have said and think all domestic violence is wrong. Currently we are just getting the picture/perspective of the women victims at the mo. We also need the stats for male victims.

Many women victims of abuse don't go public/go to the police as Comic Relief/Little Mo etc. said, but men are even LESS likely to go public/go to the police etc. There is more of a stigma for men who have been victims of abuse/rape/assault etc.

Also, as stated, men generally can defend and attack by a women more easily so the assault often can't take place but many women can't defend themselves as well so the full fledged attack takes place. However the intention of violence is the same whether they are a man or woman.

I think that was what SaxoBoy was getting at
Old 17 March 2003, 12:43 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Wink

Slap me on the patio, I want it now
Yeah, but you deserve everything you get....heck...you even ask for it
Old 17 March 2003, 12:49 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Old 17 March 2003, 12:52 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

I saw an expert on Domestic violence on TV and she said that lots of Domestic violence is not just Physical but Psychological also it is not about physical strength all the time.
Old 17 March 2003, 12:55 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Yeah thats true! I've had women say things to me that make your heart feel like its about to explode with the pain/hurt/emptyness you feel