Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

OSX Anyone using it??

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2001, 10:08 PM
Jake
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed OSX on my G4 and think its pants anyone else tried it?
Old 09 October 2001, 11:46 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

<B>NOTE: These are my personal opinions and are not those of my employer</B>

i've used it and it's OK.

However, it is lacking in certain respects, and there not being an API (application program interface) for AFP (Apple Filing Protocol) does not help, especially when you're trying to develop a product that needs AFP to work.

Personal experience is that it's great but until most of the big apps are carbonised (made to run under X natively and not in classic) no-one corporate is going to use it.

I;ve spoke to many of my clients, most of whom I'm friendly with and none of them have any plans to use X in anger until the apps are there.

for example, you want to run X and Photoshop and QuarkXPRES at the same time? good luck, you'd need at least 512bm of RAM and a 600 or quicker processor. Why? well you have to run X, then run classic, and then run the apps inside of classic. This is of course ignoring any possible conflicts because classic is not 100 percent the same as running in just os 9.x

So you need a new machine and a good one at that to run what you normally could do on a decent(ish) machine running 9.x

having said that 10.1 (are you on 10.1?? or 10.0.4, if 10.0.4 then get the 10.1 update it's a lot better) is pretty good and fairly stable. Though not that quick, and that's coming from somone running on a Dual Processor G4 and a G4 powerbook.

just my few pence worth
Old 09 October 2001, 11:50 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

BTW - you want to buy any macintosh security software
Old 10 October 2001, 12:06 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I think it's pants too, not used it for 9 months though, might have improved a bit - but I doubt it. The early Betas were terrible and even for someone who has used Macs all their working life it was damn hard to do even the simplest things. Stick to OS9 for a while longer...
Wait till all the developers have ironed out all those horrible issues with drivers etc.
Glad I'm not programming for OSX at the moment...
Old 10 October 2001, 08:01 AM
gizmo71
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I'm running 10.0.4 on my G3 PowerBook, I'm mostly using it as a "raw" Unix box for development, but also to do video editing using iMovie.

It makes a great Unix box but I'm not very impressed with it as a MacOS 9 replacement. Yes, it's much more stable (although it still fails to wake from sleep sometimes), but it lacks support for most PCMCIA devices (something I used a fair bit under MacOS 9), and is also severely lacking in network-aware printer drivers - neither of which is improved in 10.1.

In summary - nice Unix, but in my opinion still not ready for public consumption.
Old 10 October 2001, 08:40 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Our QA people hate it, unstable they say. Not going to use it here for a while yet.
Old 10 October 2001, 02:40 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>

Glad I'm not programming for OSX at the moment...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tell me about it well tell my dev team about it. Though they say that once you get into it, it is ok to code for, but it's waaaaaayyyy different to 9.x, for obvious reasons.

Being the head of support I have this feeling I'm going to have to go and learn unix, because someone is going to go and change stuff at the command line, at which point I'd be dealing at the GUI level.

Oh, and you found how to turn on the root account yet?? (I know one way, which worries me, but won't mention it on an 'open' channel! )
Old 10 October 2001, 07:43 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

um yeah well u lot just lost me there lol i've got a cube but as i only use it for the internet it's probably wasted but hey it looks good!
Old 10 October 2001, 10:53 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Even the MD of Apple that came to see me a few weeks ago reckons OSX will take another 6 months to take off. Personally I don't like it at all but its just so different that its easy to feel lost using it. Still too few apps that are carbonised to make OSX viable for most users. I'm sticking to 9.1 on my cube and PowerBooks. Might bung OSX on my imac to have a play.

Considering I work for MacWarehouse most of our big corporate customers have not taken up on it much yet.

Oh are any of you coming to the Expo in November ? MacWarehosue " might" be sponsoring the bar so it would be nice to see some fellow macUsers from the Scoobynet community there.

AllanB
Old 10 October 2001, 11:08 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

don't know about Expo, might be there, not sure. i prob won't be there, as will have to be in office, but company might, as I say, not sure.

would be good to come along though, has been a blast in the past years when we've attended.

Had been to expo many years as a punter, and is weird being there as exhibitor, can be rather boring at times though, especially when you dela in security software!
Old 11 October 2001, 07:30 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

You should try manning one of the biggest stand 4 days in a row aand having to contend with the wrold biggest hangover after the exhibitors party and the CU party....oof.

We're having another Mac show in Feb so if you're interested I'll let you know. Oh and of course booze will be in free supply as always !

AllanB
Old 11 October 2001, 07:34 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Thanks Allan, will mention it to powers that be.

Paris Expo last year was fun, had some right old weirdos coming up on our stand