Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

use of chemical weapons by Iraq is "100% guaranteed".

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2003, 03:16 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

No wonder they all want to surrender now

This is not looking too good from where I stand
Old 10 March 2003, 03:19 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Never has done unclebuck.

But *still* Bush/Blair push ahead with it.
Old 10 March 2003, 04:18 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

what really is worrying is that if he pulled a stunt like that Bush would use a tactical nuke strike in reprisal.

It could suddenly get more messy than a messy thing from messytown in messyshire

Personally, I think I prefer the 'they will all run away' scenario
Old 10 March 2003, 04:19 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

so by implication, he does still possess chemical and biological weapons then, has been lying all along and has totally ignored 1441.

there's your proof and your smoking gun. though kofi will stick his head in the sand and hans will continue to straddle the fence.

Old 10 March 2003, 04:23 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Well, I thought we all kinda new that anyway. So a bit like any other nation with WMD they are deterrants, not to be used except in defence. This is what any of those countries (US,UK,etc) would do if invaded.
Old 10 March 2003, 04:30 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

in answer to your point, it was made clear to tariq aziz in 1991 by the joint chiefs that should chemical or biological weapons be used against coalition forces then the iraqis could expect nuclear retaliation.

though the problem is of course, if he's in a lose-lose situation on home turf, what's to stop him choosing the scorched-earth, "sampson" policy?

the only option - not watertight - is the pre-emptive destruction of as many of his delivery mechanisms as possible. i would imagine that's what the special forces pathfinders already inside iraq are planning.

Old 10 March 2003, 04:36 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

But (broken record time), is it *really* worth the risk??

He's attacked no-one with them in goodness knows how long. I would totally support action if he used any sort of WOMD, at any time, against anyone, ever again. But you can't blame him for threatening to use them if he actually does still have them, if his country is going to be obliterated anyway.

As we stand, this is *still* just a political gesture by the US, to get somebody, anybody, back for 09/11, imo. They missed their chance twelve years ago, and now they want revenge. I don't support the regime in Iraq any more than the next man, but i just don't believe there is any moral justification for what is about to follow.
Old 10 March 2003, 04:38 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

The pre-emptive strikes have been going on for some time now ... and they'll go on pre-empting for as long as it takes ...
Old 10 March 2003, 04:41 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

of course we all knew it. which is what makes limited inspections such a farce. blix won't find them and we're not going to 'burn' valuable intelligence assets inside iraq to give him a smoking gun without a guarantee by resolution that immediate action follows.

IMO, the inspections are simply a fig leaf for the UN to preserve what little credibility and point it has and for us to pay the requisite diplomatic lip service in advance of the inevitable fight.

but ultimately, if the UN means anything and has any intention of preserving its failing credibility, then 1441 *must* be enforced. otherwise how can it hope to achieve anything with regard to israel and palestine where resolution after resolution remain pathetically unenforced and irrelelvant?

Old 10 March 2003, 04:44 PM
StiShrek
Scooby Regular

well makes me feel better about not having a pension still

perhaps if turns out ok i might start thinking about my future properly!

actually ill wait a couple of years for the apocolyptic reprisals by the extremists and then think about a pension!

actually ill should wait another few years after that for a possible launch by north korea

actually fek the pension!
Old 10 March 2003, 04:58 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

they (we) missed the chance because the UN would not authorise coalition incursion into iraq. the remit stopped at hoofing him out of kuwait.

it was colin powell and bush snr who nixed invasion then to preserve coalition unity. in part prompted by the unopposed and wholesale destruction of retreating iraqi personnel and armour on the basra road that was going out on all the news networks and was believed to threaten the arab support at the time.

imagine the furore if we had continued to baghdad then? also, i don't think we were ready to do it - from a planning or logistical perspective. it would have been a huge gamble.

the unavoidable fact is that the problem still exists and has to dealt with conclusively. it won't go away and containment is an insufficient long-term solution.

i really don't believe the US has lashed out *****-nilly post 9/11. quite the opposite. it's been a calculated degrading of al qaeda capability: starting with freezing suspect bank accounts; destruction of the training grounds and taliban support in afghanistan; the successful killing or arrest of ranking al qaeda officials; and now nipping the potential WMD supply lines between saddam and what remains of al qaeda.
Old 10 March 2003, 05:21 PM
StiShrek
Scooby Regular

but the tree huggers say there is no evidence of WOMD or links to al-quaida.

they want saddham to either launch his supposed WOMD against civilians or to trade with al-quaida for their proof.

A dangerous game....best to get the pre-emptive strike in and to hell with the 100% proof these goddamn tony bennites want
Old 10 March 2003, 05:26 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Surely though if Special Forces / Rangers did know where WOMD are located they could supply that intelligence to the inspectors who would in turn prove the case that Saddam has not complied with 1441.

Do you really believe they already know where they are? I for one prey they do but I don't see how they can.

ub
Old 10 March 2003, 06:29 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Do you think they may come to say London and place some of that gas in the tube or in public places in the USA etc.?

What are the exact effects of sarin gas and anthrax on the human body anyway?
Old 10 March 2003, 08:32 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

"An anonymous defector" says Saddam will use chemical weapons,and that information has just been released today.PROPAGANDA mate,dont believe a word of it.

Having said that,having come this far we MUST now invade Iraq,to not do so would be to loose all credibility and hand Saddam a propaganda victory.Its gone too far to back off now.
Old 11 March 2003, 10:24 AM
CarpetCleaner
Scooby Regular

the point of no return was passed long ago, I just hope for Tony's sake the war is a success. Whether or not you agree with him or not the guy's got gutts for sure. Whatever happens he will never be able to be without bodyguards now, how many people would do that to themselves, not many I bet. I've never been a fan of his but he has shown himself to be a strong leader and I for one admire him for that
Old 03 October 2003, 03:21 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

And you are suprised by this?

Saddam has been saying all along to the US "bring it on you will lose"

now why would he say that if he did not have something up his sleeve? there are nearly half a million troops on his doorstep, he has no proper army, no heavy armour and no airforce so unless something like this was available to him why would he be egging on the US? hoping to call their bluff maybe! I don't think so the US are going to attck regardless.

If I was a politician I would be asking why this tin pot dictator is still defying the big boys with what they think he has???

[Edited by Wurzel - 3/10/2003 3:23:39 PM]