Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Sunglasses - please explain?

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2001, 10:38 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Have worn a pair of Randolph Engineering shades for 6 years, but walking around Lisbon in the summer, I am still squinting a bit behind them.

Got 30 pounds of gift vouchers for Blacks, so decided to buy myself some Oakleys. Found out about Cat.3, Cat 4. standards. Got the Ice lenses, which claim 9% light transmission. Back in Lisbon, still squinting a bit.

Oakley graphs show transmission of light of different frequencies, and mine do not (apparently) block as much as, for instance, the 24k lenses, according to the graph (though the latter allow 9% also).

Now wondering if my problem is glare, not light transmission, and should I swap mine for polarised lenses which allow 12-14% of light, ie more, but (apparently) cut glare?

No optician (out of 3) seems to give a decent answer. Can anyone here explain the figures and what I'm after?

TIA

BJH
Old 10 October 2001, 01:05 PM
MRK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brendan

Polarized lenses rock I have Bolle polarized and I never take them off. They're ideal in all weather conditions, great in foggy (good old UK)/snowy conditions (ie snowboarding) but also excellent in the hot dry sun of a far away land.

M
Old 10 October 2001, 02:55 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by MRK:
<B>I have Bolle polarized and I never take them off. [/quote]

MRK stand for Bono of U2 then?

I remember polarised are supposed to be good from my fishing days (allows you to see into the water etc). Odd, in that case, how Oakley, despite all the hype, don't offer many polarised? Yet there are all the other lens types blocking various light frequencies from 300-800 (K/M/U)Hz, but when should I use which? This is what puzzles me. All the fancy figures, but the answer (Just Get Polarised) seems to be too easy!

BJH (sort of :cool
Old 10 October 2001, 04:29 PM
Toerag
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Polarised shades are the way to go. They really do cut out reflections. Best bit is they get rid of the relection on your windscreen off a shiny dashboard. Awesome when looking into clear water. Give 'em a go.