Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Tree surgery?

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2003, 10:29 AM
Nexuas
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much do you think it would cost to have a 350year old oak removed out of the back garden? It has been diagnised as having some sort of rot. They are going to do a survey latter in the week to see how soon it has to come down. Just want to be prepared for the cost

Also does the wood have a high resale value? Could I make some money back by selling the tree to a saw mill? Or could I have it cut into 2 inch slices and I could make a fair few coffee table tops out of it?

Any one? Thanks in advance.
Old 10 March 2003, 10:32 AM
S55 HOT
Scooby Regular

Red face

I've been quoted 400+VAT to have the tree at the front of my house trimmed back by 30-40%.

My next door neighbour was quoted 600+VAT - coz his is slightly bigger and some of the branches are close to his garage - therefore more tricky & risky.

On that basis a whole tree has got to be at least a grand !
Old 10 March 2003, 10:33 AM
Luke
BANNED

Buy a chain saw.
Old 10 March 2003, 10:41 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Tree Surgeon here!

I would have thought a grand would be fairly realistic. The timber may have some value but if it is badly decayed, then it won't. However, it is usually the case that the transport costs are greater than the value of timber when you just have one stem. You better check if it is covered by a TPO (Tree Preservation Order) local planning authority will advise, (£20k fine otherwise). Also, are you sure about this rot? Is a common line used by cowboys - look 'ere guv it's rotten - better take it down straight away...

Charlie.
Old 10 March 2003, 11:15 AM
Nexuas
Scooby Regular

The tree has fungial brackets and a lot of Die back in the canopy.

We trust the guy as he has trimed the trees twice in the last ten years and done other work in the garden.

He was not here to look at this tree he was quoting to trim back the other three and noticed the Brackets.

He is going to do a "core"? to see how rotten it is.

Will have to check on the TPO, I would be suprised if it is not covered, being so old. But if it is rotten we can have it taken down even with the order?
Old 10 March 2003, 11:29 AM
Nexuas
Scooby Regular

We were going to replant an Oak sapling in it's place, but is there a risk that this will get the same condition and is it likely to spread to other trees in the garden?
Old 10 March 2003, 11:35 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

i would guess that what the tree has is infection with a fungus called Ganoderma. This usually attacks old, unhealthy or stressed trees. The best way forward would be to get the stump of the old tree ground out if possible, as this breaks up the remaining infected wood into small pieces which rot away much quicker. If this was done within, say, the next two months it should be okay to plant a new tree the following winter. If possible don't plant the new tree too close to where the old one was. Soil compaction is a big cause of trees dying in gardens, parks etc, so before you plant the new tree try and dig over/loosen up as much soil area as possible. If you can (be bothered) double diging is the best.
Old 10 March 2003, 12:54 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

You better check if it is covered by a TPO (Tree Preservation Order) local planning authority will advise, (£20k fine otherwise)
As a planning officer I can't stress the importance of doing this! At 350 years old there is a good chance of it being TPO'd!
Old 03 October 2003, 11:27 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

If there are fungal brackets at the base of the trunk + crown die back then it will be an "open and shut" case - i.e. the tree is knackered. Under these circumstances you only have to notify the local authority that you intend to remove the tree on the grounds of safety, and it's up to them to decide if they want to come and have a look or make an order for a replacement tree to be planted.

[Edited by ProperCharlie - 3/10/2003 11:28:00 AM]