Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Medical advice needed please!

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2001, 02:31 PM
Nick Young
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is bit of an unusual one,but my cousin who's in his very early 20's has been diagnosed as suffering from something know as Acne Vulgaris(or something like that)and has been put on a drug called Roaccutane(if spelt right)which basically will eliminate his problem in about 6 months.Personaly myself I was lucky enough to sail through my teen years without getting a pimple regardless of what I eat etc,but my cousin now has become a totally different person and spends most of his time locked away and never seems to socialize.Its very upsetting when I go to visit him as he seems like a complete and utter wreck.
I know this is kind of a personal request,but could anyone who has suffered from this condition or knows of anyone, give me some advice on what I can do for him,and also has anyone had any experience with this drug?
Your help will be appreciated!
Old 22 September 2001, 04:21 PM
scoobyangel
Scooby Regular

Nick, sorry to hear about your cousin...my friend also took this drug, she changed into a completely different person while taking it, became withdrawn depressed and suicidal...the only thing that changed her back to the person she once was, was to stop taking the drug, and almost over night she became the normal happy lass she is. unfortunatly her skin stayed bad, that is the downfall...but i think if u are suffering mentally because of a drug it is better to stop the drug and be mentally stable..this must surely be better than being as depressed as she once was..
my advice ... tell your cousin to go back to the doctor and explain these side affects, maybe there is something a little less mind bending he could try, there are many other treatments for acne that don not have such awfull affects.
good luck
Maz
Old 22 September 2001, 04:59 PM
Nick Young
Scooby Regular

Cheers Maz,I read also some where that this drug has caused people to attempt suicide,why and how I don't know,but your right its better to be mentally stable.I think I will speak to him over the weekend and offer to take him up the Docs myself.

Thanks again

Nick Y
Old 22 September 2001, 06:20 PM
CC
Scooby Regular

Smile

plz get your cousin to see a doctor.

the depression symptoms may or may not be indirectly related to Ro-accutane.

Severe acne itself can cause depressive type mental illnesses.

I dont believe that Ro-accutane has any direct psychoactive ingredients and so i dont believe this is the sole cause.

Your cousin must have had severe acne is the 1st place to be prescribed Ro-accutane. Although Ro-accutane is a fantastic anti-acne drug, in fact it is the *most* effective, bar none. But.....it can worsen acne within the 1st few weeks of using it. Yes, it can actually make it worse, but continued use WILL improve the condition, most often till its completely eradicated. Thats y its important for the complete course (ie 4-6 months) to be finished.

It can also cause distressing side effects such as occasional nose bleeds, it WILL cause dry/cracked lips. But these return to normal after treatment.

Get him to his GP. Ro-accutane works and works well but you've got to persevere.

Best 'o luck
Old 22 September 2001, 06:45 PM
Nick Young
Scooby Regular

CC,
Yep your right, I will have a word with him about visiting the GP next week.One other thing,you said the condition itself gets worse before it gets better,I remember him telling me his Dermatologist told him this also,and that he wont see any real improvement until roughly the 3rd or 4th month.Any how thanks for the advice.

Nick Y
Old 23 September 2001, 09:32 AM
Nick Young
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice and support guy's.

Nick Y

Old 23 September 2001, 12:59 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Nick - looks like CC has been there, done that, has the t-shirt and published the book. The other thing you can offer your mate is to be there. If you can get a good looking girl to proposition him ( even for a walk in the park) then all the better. He is still going through the later stages of adolescence. The only two things you care about are how do I look and who fancies/likes me. Think about this out loud and you will be depressed in no time. Offer him support, reccoment revisit to GP and tell anecdotes about that period in your life.

p.s I used to have a perm, and I still got married to a babe ( who I met when I had the perm). There is always hope
Old 24 September 2001, 09:46 PM
General Panic
Scooby Newbie

Exclamation

Retinoids do not cause psychosis.

Change to de-oxycycline and Benzoyl peroxide 5% to 10%.

GP should screen for depression, which is easily cured with modern anti-depressants

Also avoid Warwichshire as **** sticks
Old 24 September 2001, 09:55 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

No Laughter, but a guy at school had the most amazing acne. One day by mistake he used an undilluted spot cream. It basically burnt the whole of his face off. By product though was a pretty good complexion and no acne.

Dave
Old 24 September 2001, 10:55 PM
MW
Scooby Newbie

Nick,

Sorry to hear about your cousin. Have you tried visiting some online health sites such as: