Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Parking Ticket - What are my rights?

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2003, 10:55 AM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I parked on a Pub car park, but foolishly, I never noticed any parking signs and there were quite a few other cars there already about 9.30 ish. Needless to say upon my return a parking ticket from a private company on behalf of the landlord was on my car. £60.00. within next 14days. I then looked around no other car had a ticket and I am sure they were there before me and I also noticed small signs on the distant trees warning about parking. Too late was the cry. However, on mentioning this lovely start to the weekend to my manager, she wonders if they would be able to enforce i.e chase this payment up being a private company and whether or not to ignore it. Not inferring that you have criminal inclinations, but have you any thoughts/advise on this.
Old 05 March 2003, 11:00 AM
Luke
BANNED

No clamp ...no worries. Maybe its a wind up thing from the pub.

No company would issue a ticket... They would clamp it. Then they can be sure of you paying.
Old 05 March 2003, 11:01 AM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

Anybody with a legal background who can confirm this?
Old 05 March 2003, 12:01 PM
Ratman
Scooby Regular

You'll definitely have the right to pay.

Perhaps the other cars were Pub customers who'd left their cars there overnight? Hence no "ticket".

Do I presume you weren't a customer of the pub? That would be a bit off, parking there for free - remember pubs are usually also people's houses an I bet you wouldn't appreciate members of the public parking on your drive go go shopping?!

I also expect the "ticket" is a device used by the landlord to discourage non-patrons from parking, and you've probably got away with it this time.

Best Wishes,
Ratman
Old 05 March 2003, 12:16 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine parks in an out of town shopping car park when he goes to watch the football. (Car park services Currys, Mcdonalds, B&Q etc)

He has received tens of tickets as there are signs saying no more than 2 hours. He never pays them and never hears anything about them.
Old 05 March 2003, 12:47 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Forget it-let them make a move if they want, not much they can do I reckon. If you were not clamped then they cant enforce anything without taking you to court and I doubt they would do that. But at least have a look at what the car park signs say when you get a chance.

Les
Old 05 March 2003, 05:27 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

If its a private rent-an-arsehole ticket company then bin it.
As said above, if they didnt clamp you then unlikely thwy would take you to court over it.

Trending Topics

Old 05 March 2003, 05:58 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine once parked on some waste ground just out of Wolverhampton, the ground had a Small metal rail round the ground and an entrance. The was two small signs nailed to some trees at the back of the waste ground. When my friend came back there was a guy trying to put a wheel clamp on his car, he wasn’t having much luck because the car is lowered quite considerably and has 17” wheels on it so this guy couldn’t get the clamp on. The guy said he was parked on privet ground and there was a £70 release fee, my mate said release from what because there want a clamp on his car. My mate got in his car and rolled the window down, this guy was still insisting that he paid the £70 and put his van in front of the entrance of the waste ground so my mate couldn’t get out. By this time my mate girlfriend was getting quite scared so my mate locked him self in his car and rolled the window back up. Clamping guy said to him “I’ll sit hear all day doesn’t bother me” and sat in his van. My mate’s girlfriend called the police and in about 15 mins a patrol car turned up my mate and the clamping guy got out of there vehicles and told each side of the stories to the police officer. The police officer told the guy to move his van, he said his sign’s weren’t visible enough so he didn’t have any write to fine my mate and that he was reporting him for nailing his sign’s to trees (apparently your not allowed to nail things to trees). So my mate got away with it.

Tim.
Old 05 March 2003, 07:29 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

Quality if I get taken to court, i'll print this page and use it as evidence
Old 05 March 2003, 09:21 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Well I think that an individual is entitled to charge you to park in their car par. The problem is enforcing it. There is the clamping option, but of course that tends to annoy those that get clamped.

I believe the publican could pay his £2.50 write to DVLA to get details of the registered keeper of the car, send them a letter asking for the parking charge and take them to the small calims court if they didn't pay.

However likely to be more effective just to threaten a charge and hope you don't park there again.

My own view is that whether clamping etc is used all depends on the reasonableness of the case. I can't see anything wrong with parking in a pub car park when the pub is closed, but when its open and possibly busy using one of its spces and not drinking in the pub isn't really fair.
Old 06 March 2003, 08:43 AM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

So you can write to the DVLA and get someone's address etc from just a number plate. That sounds a bit dodgey to me.
Old 06 March 2003, 08:45 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

yes
Old 06 March 2003, 09:14 AM
Luke
BANNED

If a car has lets say... Damaged your car and driven off. You can write in to the DVLA and inform them of the situation. They then send you the owners details.

Great way of making life easy..